• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

exactly

wake is a pretty tight gig

Is it though. I think people confuse our run as a top 20 program, due to 3 solid to very good coaches and a steady stream of talent those coaches brought in, with our status as a destination.

Even coming off of Dino we weren’t a top 20 destination. We certainly aren’t now.

Is it though. I think people confuse our run as a top 20 program, due to 3 solid to very good coaches and a steady stream of talent those coaches brought in, with our status as a destination.

Even coming off of Dino we weren’t a top 20 destination. We certainly aren’t now.

Yes

Just last year the AP released a full poll and Wake was #33: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...op-100-college-basketball-programs-based-poll

And that's AFTER the Bz debacle

We have the money, building the resources, play in the best conference, have historical pedigree, have two recent-ish HOF NBA alums, have several players in the NBA now. Also, while this board is annoying af our fans are much more forgiving than your typical big state school. For ALL the reasons most of decided to go to wake in the first place (amazing academics and community with world class resources not usually found at universities our size) it would be a great and amazing fit for the right coach. Skip got it. Clawson gets it. I'm not giving up hope.

Yes

Just last year the AP released a full poll and Wake was #33: https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketbal...op-100-college-basketball-programs-based-poll

We have the money, building the resources, play in the best conference, have historical pedigree, have two recent-ish HOF NBA alums, have several players in the NBA now. Also, while this board is annoying af our fans are much more forgiving than your typical big state school. For ALL the reasons most of decided to go to wake in the first place (amazing academics and community with world class resources not usually found at universities our size) it would be a great and amazing fit for the right coach. Skip got it. Clawson gets it. I'm not giving up hope.

Yeah, would be nice to hire a guy who could actually sell a kid on Wake Forest and all it has to offer, and not just potential PT in year 5 because half the team just transferred.

What's a bigger obstacle at this point? The academic rigor of an institution of Wake's caliber, or an administration that doesn't see the potential of the flagship BB program to be a catalyst to popularity and interest in the eyes of prospective students? When Wake had Duncan those last two years, the application pool for the school doubled, at least IIRC. Then conversely, it seems like we are reluctant to spend the requisite money on BB coaching talent when a packed house and hot ticket sales can more than pay for it, not to mention, drive up the prestige of the school in the minds of HS prospectives?

Yet Wellman has taken some huge risks with the last two hires...how has this not gotten the attention of enough BoT power players to change course entirely, from the AD down?

Yes

It's just amazing Wellman couldn't do any better than [redacted] coming off Dino, a program one year removed from being #1 in the country and coming off another NCAA tournament appearance. I wouldn't say we were a top 20 program, but at that time, we still had a good reputation and a great fan base/atmosphere. I haven't been to the Joel in a very long time since leaving NC, but I imagine it's like going to a funeral now.

As with most things in the real world... it all boils down to leadership.

Wake is without dispute a Top 25-30 basketball job with competent leadership and commitment from the administration.

We are currently wading through this shitstorm because the last two hires have been colossal failures. In hindsight it would have been best to name Dino the interim coach after Skip's death and risk the loss of the AT&T recruiting class.

Wake is without dispute a Top 25-30 basketball job with competent leadership and commitment from the administration.

We are currently wading through this shitstorm because the last two hires have been colossal failures. In hindsight it would have been best to name Dino the interim coach after Skip's death and risk the loss of the AT&T recruiting class.

That, or at least wait until Dino fell on his face instead of firing him after a 2nd round NCAAT run. Not saying Dino was the greatest coach, but firing him after his last two seasons, CSU update or not, couldn't have helped in the hiring process.

Lately it seems like Wake is really more like a top 75 basketball job now that Wake has established itself over the past decade as being one of the worst programs from a power 5 conference. Wake fans are just in denial about the dumpster fire that the Wake basketball program has become.

Lately it seems like Wake is really more like a top 75 basketball job now that Wake has established itself over the past decade as being one of the worst programs from a power 5 conference. Wake fans are just in denial about the dumpster fire that the Wake basketball program has become.

I remember the days when making the NIT was considered a disappointment. And now we'd almost kill to make any type of postseason. Wake has definitely dropped a ton in the last 8 years.

Yes

I’m not sure Top 33 basketball program historically translates into top 33 job.

Yeah, would be nice to hire a guy who could actually sell a kid on Wake Forest and all it has to offer, and not just potential PT in year 5 because half the team just transferred.

What's a bigger obstacle at this point? The academic rigor of an institution of Wake's caliber, or an administration that doesn't see the potential of the flagship BB program to be a catalyst to popularity and interest in the eyes of prospective students? When Wake had Duncan those last two years, the application pool for the school doubled, at least IIRC. Then conversely, it seems like we are reluctant to spend the requisite money on BB coaching talent when a packed house and hot ticket sales can more than pay for it, not to mention, drive up the prestige of the school in the minds of HS prospectives?

Yet Wellman has taken some huge risks with the last two hires...how has this not gotten the attention of enough BoT power players to change course entirely, from the AD down?

How the fuck do you think he landed back to back top 40 guys? It surely wasn’t our performance on the court. I get the concerns about Manning’s coaching ability, but if you don’t think he’s selling kids on Wake and all it has to offer then you don’t know what the fuck you are taking about.

I wouldn’t put it quite that low now, but pretty much this.

No ACC program should be ranked near that low. And there are worse ACC programs than ours.

FSU finished in a tie for 8th and Syracuse finished in 11th place this year. They're both still playing, two years after Syracuse made the Final Four after being the 10th placed team in the conference.

Coaching an ACC program provides a wonderful opportunity to make the tournament. And anything can happen from that point

Y’all are playing checkers while Wellman is out here playing Go. Gonna let our boy A.W. Hamilton take over the OVC at Eastern Kentucky for 3 years while Manning pulls an upper-middle class man’s Gottfried and plateaus despite a shit ton of talent.

If he had hired Stevens or Smart he wouldn’t be able to nab the OVC coach of the year in 2021. This was his master plan all along. Motorboatin’ son of a bitch.

Back