• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Saw Todd May play once when he was healthy at Wake. He was the real deal!

Gene Hooks did me a big favor when I was a student strictly out of the goodness of his heart. So he was not a bad guy at all from my interaction with him.

John Toms was a big part of the problem.....along with Gene Hooks.

And to RChildress: Do you really think that Jerry Schellenburg was recruited "within the five years prior to Tacy's arrival"?

http://www.leaguelineup.com/information.asp?url=mscindiana&catid=305360

Wake started recruiting him his sophomore year (1970-1971)

From Jerry's high school coach, Joe Hinton: “They started recruiting him when he was a sophomore, and he really liked them right from the beginning. Indiana came in late, but Jerry really loved Wake Forest.”

Tacy started coaching at Wake in 1972-1973.

Jerry signed when Tacy was coach, but he was recruited "within the five years prior to Tacy's arrival"

I don't know that the roster was completely bare when Carl left. We just got some bad breaks at that time, with Kenny Green leaving, Todd May (who might have been one of the best players in WF history) not working out & losing out on Tom Hammonds, etc.

This is an excerpted email I got back in early 2011 on TOB about the situation at that time from a guy who covered the program closely:

Bud,

I live in Winston-Salem and have known Coach Tacy for years. In fact, up until the last couple of years, we went turkey-hunting together once or twice every spring, and I plan to renew that habit this spring. Two of my good friends, including the best man in my wedding, graduated from Wake Forest in 1978, and my brother graduated from Wake Forest in the early 1980s. He was the Deacon mascot who sang the national anthem, dunked during basketball warmups and did the 81 pushups to help out the Clemson mascot one day.

Well geez, why didn't you tell us you had an unbiased source for all this information.

LOL. You kind of left out some of the guy's credentials, didn't ya? Like the parts where he worked for the Winston-Salem Sentinal for 8 years, including three years as Sports Editor....and was the "beat reporter" for WF sports during that time? I'd say that a guy like that was pretty close to the situation.

LOL. You kind of wrote a response that in no way addressed the obvious bias of your source, didn't ya. If I wanted to know some uncontroverted fact about Bob Knight you'd be the first person to ask. If I wanted an unbiased opinion about Bob Knight you'd be the last. See the difference?

Last edited:
If we had a lot of guys like Jerry Schellenburg, Skip Brown, Delaney Rudd & Anthony Teachey....I would start going to the games again. Four year guys, all of 'em!

(Well, if they made a decision to start calling traveling & carrying the ball violations again, that is.)

Guy Morgan was a quiet but very dependable player, as was Jim Johnstone. Alvis Rogers was Devinesque...didn't improve a lot over the four years.

Everything I heard about Hammonds was that Tacy didn't like recruiting and got outworked by Cremins.

True, Gentleman Carl left it up to his assistants and Bobby was involved from Day 1 with Hammonds.

Gee whiz, I've had a belly full of this. You ham and eggers just don't get it.

People shouldn't expect Danny to be instantly successful, but Wake's shitty years decades ago isn't the reason why.
Can't tell if serious, so apologies in advance if I missed the sarcasm.

I am not quite sure I get that either. It is almost like we want to compare DT to Cornbread Maxwell and them be upset that he isn't Cornbread Maxwell.

This entire thread is just a whole lot of wordy diarrhea.

LOL. You kind of left out some of the guy's credentials, didn't ya? Like the parts where he worked for the Winston-Salem Sentinal for 8 years, including three years as Sports Editor....and was the "beat reporter" for WF sports during that time? I'd say that a guy like that was pretty close to the situation.

What the hell are you even arguing RChill? I'd say we should just be happy to get a little bit of #SCOOOOP about the Tacy years. Probably better insight than we'll ever get into the end of the Dino tenure and that whole sordid fiasco. Not to mention the limited reporting / insight into the REDACTED years. Are there no Moricle Society members willing to go OTR as an unnamed source for a Dan Collins story? ;)

At the end of the day, still a subjective argument who was a better coach: Tacy vs. Bones vs. Odom vs. Skip etc.

If we had a lot of guys like Jerry Schellenburg, Skip Brown, Delaney Rudd & Anthony Teachey....I would start going to the games again. Four year guys, all of 'em!

(Well, if they made a decision to start calling traveling & carrying the ball violations again, that is.)

Our guards can barely dribble. You're asking for miracles Bob! ;)

That was a pretty good post, bkf.

I think Wake has been very lucky to have Bones McKinney, Carl Tacy, Dave Odom and Skip Prosser associated with the basketball program.

Tacy was the best game coach and did build three excellent teams over his tenure. His personality didn't project very well and students were not sad to see him leave. Also, he left us with only Bogues and Mark Cline. Personally, I think Skip would have done great things. However, I was surprised to see Odom forced out after Butler. Loved Bones as a broadcaster.

Odom: 2 ACCT Titles, 1 Final 8, 2 Sweet 16s NIT Title
Tacy: 2 Final 8s and 1 ACCT Final

Advantage Odom.

Really when you look at the mid 70s run there was some pretty significant underachievement for having 2 players with banners in the rafters. 75-76 we start 13-0 beat top 10 Maryland and Carolina to move up to the top 5 and then fall apart and end up 4-8 in the ACC and lose in the 1st round. 76-77 we are top 3 and lose our last 3 regular season games to blow the regular season title including a game at home to a mediocre Va Tech team and lose in the 1st round of the ACCT to the last place team. We go to the final 8 going 2-5 in our last 7 games. Two games kept that era from being a complete meltdown.

Back