• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Honestly, what's the justification for not firing him mid-season? What's the party line?

I can't understand it. I would love the game analyst talking point for the remainder of the season to be about Wake looking for the right coach for a massive turnaround. Seems like a far better option than waiting until March and then scrambling to hire a coach after the tournament when everyone else is doing their hiring/firing.

I can't understand it. I would love the game analyst talking point for the remainder of the season to be about Wake looking for the right coach for a massive turnaround. Seems like a far better option than waiting until March and then scrambling to hire a coach after the tournament when everyone else is doing their hiring/firing.

Wellman's not going to fire Manning mid-season based on principle alone. I'm sure RW thinks he's the most principled guy in sports.

Besides that, I assume the buy-out number comes way down effective as of the end of the season. (That assumes the stuff about the contract guarantee isn't true, and I really doubt that it is.)

Wellman is scared shitless of firing Manning mid season. Having 3 months to find a replacement and missing on your top targets would be hugely embarrassing for him.

Tuesday, March 12th will be our final basketball game of the season. By my count, that’s only 64 days away.

I think I can can make it through two more months.

[Redacted] resigned on 3/20/14... One week after an ACC tourney loss to Pitt.

A fire now makes a lot of sense. We aren’t able to recruit right now anyway despite Cole coming for a visit.

Heck UCLA has Murray Bartow coaching for them. We could put Ernie at the helm for a few months and the transition would be smooth.

How many more games in a row do we need to lose before a firing happens before the end of the year?

Like if we’re sitting at 7-15 (0-10), is he still going to finish it out? Probably, right?

Seems like at some point it makes sense to fire the guy to try to save some face.

I just reread some [Redacted] resignation articles and Wellman still tried to spin it like the whole thing was a success. What a joke.

How many more games in a row do we need to lose before a firing happens before the end of the year?

Like if we’re sitting at 7-15 (0-10), is he still going to finish it out? Probably, right?

Seems like at some point it makes sense to fire the guy to try to save some face.

I just reread some [Redacted] resignation articles and Wellman still tried to spin it like the whole thing was a success. What a joke.
Wellman really didn't like having to fire his boy toy. He fought that battle through the final presser. That's why the rolling of the quad was such a nice fuck you to Ron. Maybe Rons fuck you back to us is 18M guaranteed to Manning. He really misses Jeff's sweet ass.

I don't think Wellman does anything before season end. (If then.) He took too much heat for firing Dino.

You know damn well K is going to tank this game and miraculously pull it out in the end to try and keep Manning around.

You know damn well K is going to tank this game and miraculously pull it out in the end to try and keep Manning around.

What's the opposite of starting Patrick Davidson? Starting with four guys instead of five?

Clawson 2018: 7-6
Manning 2018-19: 7-6

Let's see if Manning wins more games this season than Clawson.

Danny Manning is stealing money from my alma mater and the opportunity to share my love of Wake Forest basketball with my kids. It is honestly offensive.

DM is not going to get fired mid season. I doubt RW fires him at end of season.

Danny Manning is stealing money from my alma mater and the opportunity to share my love of Wake Forest basketball with my kids. It is honestly offensive.

agreed - Wake Forest has an obligation to its students to provide the best it can provide

that means the best professors possible in every department, the best possible facilities, and the best possible coaches for all athletic teams

we have a basketball coach who is simply incompetent, and he's denying his team (who are all essentially majoring in basketball) the coaching/mentoring they deserve in their chosen fields

Look on the bright side: your kids won't have a desire to attend Wake, so maybe you'll save $300k per kid.

It’s gonna be sweet when BC hires Nate Oats and we get stuck with another shitty coach.

It’s gonna be sweet when BC hires Nate Oats and we get stuck with another shitty coach.

I can only imagine who Ron is cooking up now. Probably some guy from Fairbanks Community College who used to coach baseball with the idiot.

I have ZERO confidence in this moron hiring anyone competent. Remember, Mike Buddie was the one who essentially hired Clawson.

Back