• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Credibility Watch

Why is this bullshit thread still up!?!? Danny got handed a dumpster fire but yet somehow has convinced 3 top recruits to join the program!
Oh and BTW....he is just getting started on the recruiting trail so keep calm and MAN THE FUCK UP!!!!!!

Seconded. Strickland, do you really think this team will finish in the high 200's?
I should have qualified that statement by adding that those players would beat our players. That team got [Redacted]'d. It wasn't without individual talent, IMO. This team is revealing itself to be without even individual level talent.

It's a stupid argument, though, and one that was pretty minor within the rest of my post.

We're like a tanking NBA team where it's hard to blame the coach for much but you still have no idea if he can coach. 2016 recruiting is more important than on court results this year... Given they aren't like historically bad.

He may be the man we hope for long term but there is no argument that can be made his credibility is trending up since the OP. :)

From a commenter's earlier post. I am obviously not adept yet at the intricacies of replying to other's posts. Would that be the "Reply with quote" button?

From a commenter's earlier post. I am obviously not adept yet at the intricacies of replying to other's posts. Would that be the "Reply with quote" button?

I see that is a "yes." Sorry for any confusion, ChillDeac.

He may be the man we hope for long term but there is no argument that can be made his credibility is trending up since the OP. :)

Careful, I got neg rep like there was no tomorrow over this thread. Due to talent, we are going to have a bad season but week to week I don't see much in the way of player development or scheme.

For those who want to look back at it, Deac83's post #264.

Given the talent level on this team it's hard for me to tell much at all about Manning's ability to coach so far.

You can tell a coach's ability no matter who his/her players are at any given point, especially over a full season.

Call me crazy, but I think a coach earns their paycheck the most when they don't have supreme talent to work with, because, you know, that's when they actually have to really coach.

You can tell a coach's ability no matter who his/her players are at any given point, especially over a full season.

Call me crazy, but I think a coach earns their paycheck the most when they don't have supreme talent to work with, because, you know, that's when they actually have to really coach.

I hear you, but I still think that our lack of talent is somewhat unique at a high major level.

I think Skip would be the first to cut DM some slack and just say have a blessed Merry Christmas and hug your family. Wake basketball was a disaster before Danny took the helm and tried to sort this out. I give him all kinds of credibility and time to get it right as he sees it. It's beyond me what people thought Manning was going to do with this rag tag bunch this year.

This is WAY less than supreme talent. This is mid major talent. Does anyone honestly think a legend like K would get much more from this bunch? It happens that the legends always have awesome talent- it helps.

I think Skip would be the first to cut DM some slack and just say have a blessed Merry Christmas and hug your family. Wake basketball was a disaster before Danny took the helm and tried to sort this out. I give him all kinds of credibility and time to get it right as he sees it. It's beyond me what people thought Manning was going to do with this rag tag bunch this year.

Improve them from between Day One and the last day. It's a minimal expectation.

I didn't watch the Florida game, so I cannot comment about that, but it does seem to me that the team is regressing before that game. If we played well against Florida, then I will retract this statement.

This is WAY less than supreme talent. This is mid major talent. Does anyone honestly think a legend like K would get much more from this bunch? It happens that the legends always have awesome talent- it helps.

Yes. I do think that one of the top 2-4 best college coaches of all time would get more out of a team than a guy entering his 3rd year as a head coach. I do think that. Do you not? And if not, are you insane?

Careful, I got neg rep like there was no tomorrow over this thread. Due to talent, we are going to have a bad season but week to week I don't see much in the way of player development or scheme.

I wonder if he will run a zone defense at all this year ? And I hope the alley oop to mclinton was a called play. But our problems have no relationship to x's and o's. Need some Jimmys and Joes .

Coach K would sit the year out claiming back pain if he had a team like WFU. He had much more talent on the team he handed over to poor Pete Gaudet( 1994-95?).

I wonder if he will run a zone defense at all this year ? And I hope the alley oop to mclinton was a called play. But our problems have no relationship to x's and o's. Need some Jimmys and Joes .

Zone defense would be a good change of pace.

You're crazy.

A coach earns their paycheck by winning games and winning championships. You don't do that with our current talent level. I'm ok with Manning focusing purely on getting in the talent right now. Hopefully he brings in enough where he doesn't have to prove whether he can coach or not. If not, then there will come a time when it makes sense to care about his abilities "to really coach." Now is not that time.

Back