• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Miles Overton to Transfer from Wake Forest

I think Apetit is right on this one (and a load of you jumped all over him unnecessarily). That is, only if this season counts against his eligibility.

The exception might be appearances though -- how many games has he appeared in this season? There is a minimum, I'd think, and if he has played fewer than that minimum he might be able to get a waiver for the season.

Also, this decision wasn't made yesterday, and it must have been something he'd been thinking about for a while. I imagine some kind of thinking went into the decision to come off the bench in the past few games, but who knows.

As I understand it, the terminology here is pretty confusing, but important: semesters count for and against GPA eligibility, seasons count against playing eligibility.

For instance, a Cross Country/Track & Field athlete has his "5-year clock" to complete TWELVE seasons of sport. If he redshirted Indoor track (a season which spans across semesters, like basketball) any one year, for instance, he would be able to compete that season in his fifth year -- at Wake or at another school -- despite the fact it goes beyond the semester in which the season started. Hope that makes sense.

If Overton tranfers, how long will he be able to play at his next stop?

He'll be able to play at the beginning of the second semester of next school year.

I think 09 may have the answer. it may be about games played.

If not, sorry about being wrong.

Luke Fischer transferred from Indiana to Marquette mid-season and will lose one year of eligibility for transferring mid-season. http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/luke_fischer_881676.html

"More than likely, Fischer will have five semesters of eligibility left in his career, the second half of next season and the following two years. There have been cases where players received a full year of eligibility after transferring, but unless Crean was abusing him at Indiana, it’s not going to happen."

George Marshall transferred from Wisconsin to ND State as a sophomore, and will only have 3 semesters at his new school. http://www.kdlt.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32631&Itemid=58

Hard to find many mid-season transfers who actually played the first semester before transferring, but Devoe Joseph, Ferrakohn Hall and Gary Franklin all did so recently and only played in four seasons:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/41567/devoe-joseph
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/45580/ferrakohn-hall
www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gary_franklin_741563.html

Pretty sure unless Overton finds some waiver, he'll only get 5 semesters at his new school.

Good post. Thanks. I know when I coached D2 our D1 transfers were immediately eligible (different set of rules) and we never had a mid season D1 to D1 transfer when I was there so I was a bit fuzzy. Thanks for the clarification.

Ah. I thought you lost the time you sit. Thanks.

Also holy cow "Statistics show that about 40 percent of men's basketball players do not attend their original school by the end of their sophomore year."

Then it looks like we're right on that 40% number with 18 out of 45 players that committed/enrolled between the 2003 cycle and the 2014 cycle.

Holy crap though, looking back it seems that 2002 is the only class that managed to stay intact from start to finish and graduate together. Or did Richard Joyce finally transfer before his senior season? I thought he ended up staying.

So in retrospect, thanks to Chris Ellis, EW, Trent, Justin and RJ for sticking it out for 4 years!

For an academic redshirt, if he plays at all, then he loses that year of eligibility. He could apply for a medical redshirt, if he is injured, and then the # of games and how far they are into the season comes into play. If you are injured in the first half of the season and have played in 30% or less of the schedule then you can apply for medical redshirt. As of now, with no known injury, Miles would have only 2 years of eligibility left. He would not be able to play until 2nd semester next year, but if he did play then would lose that year of eligibility and only have one full year left. If he waited a year and a half then he could play 2 full years but then why transfer mid year?

That is what Deacs Daddy's question asked--how long will he be able to play at his next stop? 5 semesters. Classicly simple answer OGB, nothing else needed.

more classic

For an academic redshirt, if he plays at all, then he loses that year of eligibility. He could apply for a medical redshirt, if he is injured, and then the # of games and how far they are into the season comes into play. If you are injured in the first half of the season and have played in 30% or less of the schedule then you can apply for medical redshirt. As of now, with no known injury, Miles would have only 2 years of eligibility left. He would not be able to play until 2nd semester next year, but if he did play then would lose that year of eligibility and only have one full year left. If he waited a year and a half then he could play 2 full years but then why transfer mid year?

If he is unhappy at Wake and someone will take the extra semester of scholarship money why not? The downside is to the school not the athlete. They are the ones investing 3.5 years for a 2 year player.

So much bad information. This took sooooo long to find.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4361-ncaa-transfer-guide-2014-15.aspx

Yes the NCAA does recognize academic semesters.

"As a 4-4 transfer, generally you are not eligible to play at the new four-year school until you spend an academic year in residence
at that new school. "

"Five-year clock — If you play at a Division I school, you
have five-calendar years in which to play four seasons of
competition. Your five-year clock starts when you enroll
as a full-time student at any college. Thereafter, your
clock continues, even if you spend an academic year in
residence as a result of transferring, decide to red shirt,
if you do not attend school or even if you go part-time
during your college career. "

"Sitting out — or academic year in residence — Under
the basic transfer regulations, you must spend an
academic year in residence at the school to which you
are transferring. If you transfer from a four-year college to
an NCAA school, you must complete one academic year
in residence at the new school before you can play for or
receive travel expenses from the new school, unless you
qualify for a transfer exception or waiver. To satisfy an
academic year in residence, you must be enrolled in and
successfully complete a full-time program of studies for
two-full semesters or three-full quarters. Summer school
terms and part-time enrollment do not count toward
fulfilling an academic year in residence."

ETA: Overton has 5 years to complete 4. He must sit out an academic year, which the NCAA equates to two semesters or 3 quarters (I guess 3 is a quarter - them not me). There are exception rules that allow players to become eligible with out sitting out a year, but I don't think Overton even is in consideration for those. You cannot redshirt if you play at all.

Last edited:
Great memory although Tate Decker transferred in, not out.

Flaccid, only 6? I can't speak to the ones before I enrolled, but I'd put West, McMillian, Wilson, Hamilton, and Schoetz on the list post 94.

Jackson and Stringfellow were actually solid players and would have added depth. Griffin had athleticism but no shot at all. Kind of a Bz recruit type if you think about it.

Yeah, I had your list + Schoone. These were Anthony Fields level players who were invisible at Wake and negligible even at the lower-tiered schools they transferred to.

3 quarters is a normal school year under the quarter system.. 4th quarter is summer.

Sorry guys, I was messing with you. I assumed the subject had been beaten into the ground and was just trolling.

Will be a good mid-major player

interesting analysis, he wasn't very good for us, but he will be a good mid-major player. Are we even on par with mid-major at this point? (see Delaware St/Iona)

Dude is gonna kill it for the next three seasons somewhere. Look for him to pair up with Jamie Skeen at VCU.

Back