• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Heads up: Potential government shutdown

Maybe if we reduced the influence of the national government, there wouldn't be so many people in Washington trying to influence lawmakers.

Quite possibly one of the most intelligent hypotheticals I've ever encountered. If the government didn't have gazillions of $ taken from its subjects to spread out to its friends, there would not be so many greedy dweebs in Washington trying to become friends of the government. Money for nothing. No greedy hole can resist.

Quite possibly one of the dumbest hypotheticals I've ever encountered.

How is that dumb? It is crystal clear and obvious. You can enact any law you want, but DC will swarm with lobbyist and their ilk as long as they have the power to affect everything in personal life or business.

How is that dumb? It is crystal clear and obvious. You can enact any law you want, but DC will swarm with lobbyist and their ilk as long as they have the power to affect everything in personal life or business.

It's dumb because those lobbyists would just move the K st in Albany or Sacramento or Austin. And because they would be spread out, it would be less efficient, so they'd actually have to spend more money to buy their influence.

Reduce the amount of taxpayer cash that politicians control. Then crony capitalists would spend less trying to buy influence with politicians. They might spend more trying to produce a product people would willingly purchase. Or reverse this with Obamacare and watch insurance companies and politicians get richer as taxpaying people get poorer and sicker.

Reduce the amount of taxpayer cash that politicians control. Then crony capitalists would spend less trying to buy influence with politicians. They might spend more trying to produce a product people would willingly purchase. Or reverse this with Obamacare and watch insurance companies and politicians get richer as taxpaying people get poorer and sicker.

You've outdone yourself. Congratulations.

If you don't like having a doctor, you can keep not having a doctor.

It's dumb because those lobbyists would just move the K st in Albany or Sacramento or Austin. And because they would be spread out, it would be less efficient, so they'd actually have to spend more money to buy their influence.

It's not the location. It is the money to dispense and the power used to control and manipulate businesses. Microsoft learned real quickly that not playing the game and paying off the right people will cost you a lot more than making the payoffs, sorry, I meant lobbying.

It's not the location. It is the money to dispense and the power used to control and manipulate businesses. Microsoft learned real quickly that not playing the game and paying off the right people will cost you a lot more than making the payoffs, sorry, I meant lobbying.

Yup. Monopolies and deregulation is the answer. Everyone knows that businesses would work in society's best interest of it wasn't for that pesky government intervention.

I don't want NHS style care. I want to choose my own doctor, hospital, nurse and everything else related to my care when I am sick. If you want to go to the lowest bidder, join such a scheme. Just don't force me to do it or to pay for you to live out your european dreams of "health care".

Which they already do anyway.

I don't want NHS style care. I want to choose my own doctor, hospital, nurse and everything else related to my care when I am sick. If you want to go to the lowest bidder, join such a scheme. Just don't force me to do it or to pay for you to live out your european dreams of "health care".

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunr...ked-dead-last-compared-to-10-other-countries/

U.S. Healthcare Ranked Dead Last Compared To 10 Other Countries

1. United Kingdom
2. Switzerland
3. Sweden
4. Australia
5. Germany & Netherlands (tied)
7. New Zealand & Norway (tied)
9. France
10. Canada
11. United States

Quite honestly, our overall health care is pretty embarrassing. We pay so much per capita and get worse results than other developed western nations.

TCFchart.png

Democrats have figured out that they can use the "threat of a government shutdown" to get almost anything they want. They know that the GOP is stuck between a rock and a hard place, because they'll be blamed for the shutdown if they do not comply. I predict that voters will catch on and that strategy will backfire soon. Just like the identity politics that backfired in the 2014 election, you can only play the same hand so many times.

Last edited:
Democrats have figured out that they can use the "threat of a government shutdown" to get almost anything think they want. They know that the GOP is stuck between a rock and a hard place, because they'll be blamed for the shutdown if they do not comply. I predict that voters will catch on and that strategy will backfire soon. Just like the identity politics that backfired in the 2014 election, you can only play the same hand so many times.

Hold up. Democrats are threatening to shut down the government? Are you kidding?

2014s dumbest post contest is heating up even more.

Back