• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

Not going to happen this year but I'd like to take my wife out somewhere next year for her to learn to ski. Does anybody have good recommendations for beginner friendly areas that won't murder my budget? I've grew up skiing so something that would keep me interested as well would be helpful.

Not going to happen this year but I'd like to take my wife out somewhere next year for her to learn to ski. Does anybody have good recommendations for beginner friendly areas that won't murder my budget? I've grew up skiing so something that would keep me interested as well would be helpful.

If she has NEVER skied take her to Copper. They do a $250 3 day class including rentals, lift tickets, and lunch. And then you get a season pass after. They'll kick anyone out and not refund your money if they suspect you aren't a brand new skier though. They only sell a limited number of those every year but I think they are typically still available into mid January.

Any of the family-oriented resorts are going to be beginner friendly--Vail, Steamboat, Snowmass, etc. If I was going without kids and on a budget, I'd think about getting a place in Dillon and then skiing at Keystone, Breck, or Copper. We did that a few times when I was in high school (rented a condo) and it worked well. You lose the convenience of being slopeside somewhere, but can definitely save money that way. Just requires a few minutes of driving each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Copper is a good deal, and Loveland has a similar deal for a little cheaper. Copper would be more convenient in terms of housing proximity. The learner areas at Keystone and A-Basin are not great, and are super crowded. Loveland has a whole separate mountain section devoted to learning, the Valley.

Edit: Eldora is cool if you want to vibe Boulder. You can take the bus from town. Winter Park has the train, but I cannot speak to the learning area of either jaunt.

Last edited:

i know this is the Utah and Colorado skiing thread, but are in on the East Coast? If so consider Smuggler's Notch Vermont. Great learning terrain and instructors, affordable flights, great expert skiing (some of the gnarliest lift-served terrain in the East, if that's your thing). Downsides: not as fancy as most Western resorts, minimal bar and restaurant apres scene, snow is iffier, and it can be really freaking cold in Vermont (we skiied one day in -12, brrr).

Thanks everybody. I'm totally open to the East Coast. I learned at Sugarbush in VT before going out to Steamboat a few years. Once we moved to VA did a lot at Wintergreen (45 minute drive) and Snowshoe.

Move your flight up! I'm out here right now, we got 20 inches last night, and are supposed to get another foot and a half or so over the next couple days.

As far as serious responses, lift tickets at PCMR aren't going to be better than Deer Valley, in fact sometimes they're more expensive. But I guess if you're staying on the mountain at Deer Valley right now, then you might be able to find a cheaper place in town. Remember that the Park City busses are free, so even if you stay in town you can still take the bus up to ski Deer Vally (or just drive up and park if you have a car).

Absurdly jealous. I'm sure the avalanche bombs are going off like crazy.

Last year at Jackson Hole we got 4 feet in 3.5 days, which was something I'll never forget. Skiing what were normally groomers with almost-zero visibility and knee deep powder was a weird experience.

Great little thai food place called Siam. Good food and cocktails.
Good beer selection and good pizza at Brown Dog Pizza.
We ate at Smugglers Brewpup too, but I don't remember what we had, so it was probably good, if not memorable.
The crew at the Telluride Green Room was helpful if you're into 'natural wellness.'

Also, you probably know this, but the free gondola will take you from Telluride to the resort and it runs until midnight.

I'd add in Rustico for Italian. Grab a drink at Alred's for the view (mid mountain at St. Sophia gondola stop)

Anyone been to Snowbasin outside of Ogden, Utah? I have a quick two days there in February.

Snowbasin is great. Site of the men's and women's downhill in 2002. Great skiing, kind of a pain in the ass to get to.

Take it from a professional ski instructor (yes, I am one!).....do not ski anywhere in the east.

Best ski instruction from beginner to advanced is at Alta, Utah.

Last 3 years, my group of friends have done Vail-Breck-Vail. Looking to try somewhere different this year. Thinking Big Sky. Utah is interesting, but it seemingly requires driving everywhere. Don't want to go further west than that.

Any advice?

Last 3 years, my group of friends have done Vail-Breck-Vail. Looking to try somewhere different this year. Thinking Big Sky. Utah is interesting, but it seemingly requires driving everywhere. Don't want to go further west than that.

Any advice?

My favorites are Telluride, Crested Butte, and Steamboat. Right size with very close airports.

Any advice?

Big Sky is awesome, but is a pain in the ass to get to (at least from the East). Fly into Bozeman (not many flights) and then around an hour and a half drive.

Not to keep harping, but my vote would be Jackson Hole. 20 minute cab ride from the airport to the mountain, and a lot more flights than there used to be. Rugged and tough mountain, with the coolest western ski town, in my opinion.

Plus you've got lots of extracurricular options with the Tetons and Yellowstone close by (better for summer). Any of 61's options would be great too.

Snowbasin is great. Site of the men's and women's downhill in 2002. Great skiing, kind of a pain in the ass to get to.

Take it from a professional ski instructor (yes, I am one!).....do not ski anywhere in the east.

Best ski instruction from beginner to advanced is at Alta, Utah.

What's tipping policy? I have a full day private lesson Friday...$100? $50?

Any advice?

I loved Snowbird and the love for Alta in this thread is self-evident. SLC is an easy airport to fly into and Snowbird/Alta are only about a 40 minute drive from there. I booked a shuttle and then didn't leave Snowbird (or Alta via a combined lift ticket) for 4 days of skiing and was really impressed. Not an amazing apres ski scene, but more than enough for me. Only downside is stupid Utah 3.2% beer :) Much, much easier logistically than Big Sky. I have clients in Bozeman and have been trying to plan a trip out there to ski for a couple years, but it's such a pain in the ass to get there.

Think I'm going to Loveland this year, anyone have any good reviews of the place? I have driven by it a bunch of times but never actually been.

I dig Loveland for convenience, price, and small crowds, but no high speed lifts. It's great if you're going for a day trip. Otherwise push through to copper - just another 20 minutes down the road and much better on everything.

Any advice?

Big Sky is fucking awesome, but as noted above it's a pain to get to. Having said that, you're going to drive 90 min from DIA to Vail anyway, so who cares if you have to drive 90 min from Bozeman to big sky? It's getting to Bozeman that's a challenge....unless you're coming from Seattle, Dallas, Chicago, or Denver you're probably going to have to change planes. But still - totally worth it. Fantastic snow and not as crowded.

Any advice?

Not 100% sure what you mean by this, but Park City is actually probably one of the easiest if you don't want to drive. It's 30 minutes from the SLC airport, and you can get an Uber up there for $40 (or there are shared vans for $40/person, which isn't worth it). If you stay close to a bus stop (of which there are many), there are free city busses that go to all of the resorts (Deer Valley and the two PCMR base areas), and of course into town for the night. And there are places to stay in downtown Park City, which is very walkable and has a lift that goes straight from the center of town up the mountain at PCMR.

Little Cottonwood for skiing.
Big Cottonwood for hiking.
Millcreek or Bonneville for trail running.

I really miss living in Utah.

Not 100% sure what you mean by this, but Park City is actually probably one of the easiest if you don't want to drive. It's 30 minutes from the SLC airport, and you can get an Uber up there for $40 (or there are shared vans for $40/person, which isn't worth it). If you stay close to a bus stop (of which there are many), there are free city busses that go to all of the resorts (Deer Valley and the two PCMR base areas), and of course into town for the night. And there are places to stay in downtown Park City, which is very walkable and has a lift that goes straight from the center of town up the mountain at PCMR.

Totally agree. PC has it all and easy to get around. We've stayed in PC, skiied there and taken day trips to Alta which is a super easy drive (45 minutes). Alta is an incredible place and has the best vibe. Love that place.

Next trip I want to hit Solitude.

Back