Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah and Colorado Skiing

Quote Originally Posted by gouda View Post
    What's tipping policy? I have a full day private lesson Friday...$100? $50?
    I tipped $100 for daughter's all day lessons in Utah last year. 20% is your baseline. I would tip higher than 20% for a Level II or III instructor, especially if the resort isn't charging more for someone with those higher teaching credentials.

I agree that the instructors at Alta are excellent, at least from our experience.

Just booked my Alta trip a few minutes ago.

Tip: If you are going to get a dump of snow overnight, see if you can get an early bird lesson before the lifts open. Then get a suggestion or two on powder but otherwise just get some virgin runs in some deep pow.
    Last edited by AMCDeac; 01-04-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 61raddeac View Post
    My favorites are Telluride, Crested Butte, and Steamboat. Right size with very close airports.
    Wolf Creek pow is always top notch, too.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacDiggler View Post
    I dig Loveland for convenience, price, and small crowds, but no high speed lifts. It's great if you're going for a day trip. Otherwise push through to copper - just another 20 minutes down the road and much better on everything.
    It is more than 20 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by AMCDeac View Post
    I tipped $100 for daughter's all day lessons in Utah last year. 20% is your baseline. I would tip higher than 20% for a Level II or III instructor, especially if the resort isn't charging more for someone with those higher teaching credentials.

I agree that the instructors at Alta are excellent, at least from our experience.

Just booked my Alta trip a few minutes ago.

Tip: If you are going to get a dump of snow overnight, see if you can get an early bird lesson before the lifts open. Then get a suggestion or two on powder but otherwise just get some virgin runs in some deep pow.
    Thanks for the response. I got a website glitch deal at breck, $100 for a full day private lesson. Usually $825 or so. It is dumping right now so I'm pumped, can't wait to get some powder tips.

Scott "Rufio" Feather DeacLaw05's Avatar
    A friend of mine is out at Lake Tahoe right now for a work conference. He sent me a text yesterday evening that they had gotten 3 feet of snow since Tuesday evening--so much that ski areas were closed due to avalanche warnings.

gouda: 20% tip on the cost of the lesson. A full day with a pro will make you a pro! enjoy!

jon gruden's haircut smallbigtall's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeacLaw05 View Post
    A friend of mine is out at Lake Tahoe right now for a work conference. He sent me a text yesterday evening that they had gotten 3 feet of snow since Tuesday evening--so much that ski areas were closed due to avalanche warnings.
    Awesome. I've got flights booked out there on the 19th, so a little farther out than I'd like, but it bodes well. First time to Tahoe, hope the snow sticks around

Scott "Rufio" Feather DeacLaw05's Avatar
    I have only skied Heavenly once, back in 1999, but it was a bluebird day the morning after a 12" dump the day before. One of the best days I've ever had on skis.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdinBama View Post
    gouda: 20% tip on the cost of the lesson. A full day with a pro will make you a pro! enjoy!
    When I was a kid/teenager my secret was taking ski school lessons at Keystone or Breck, signing up for the most difficult level, and without fail getting a full-day private tour of out-of-bounds and secret runs for the price of a group lesson. Did it probably half a dozen times and the instructors were always so pumped to get paid to ski whatever they wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by wakephan09 View Post
    When I was a kid/teenager my secret was taking ski school lessons at Keystone or Breck, signing up for the most difficult level, and without fail getting a full-day private tour of out-of-bounds and secret runs for the price of a group lesson. Did it probably half a dozen times and the instructors were always so pumped to get paid to ski whatever they wanted.
    I've thought about this. Calling them up the day before and asking how many people are in a lesson and if there are any empty ones sign up.

I've thought about this. Calling them up the day before and asking how many people are in a lesson and if there are any empty ones sign up.
    I'd imagine they'd try to stick you in with a tougher or easier group, but it's certainly worth a try.

Welp. Lesson was great, other than the frostbite. Done for the year!

Welp. Lesson was great, other than the frostbite. Done for the year!
    Frostbite? How the heck did you manage that?

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMen View Post
    Frostbite? How the heck did you manage that?
    Boots were too tight and skiing on top of Breck for 6 hours in negative temps. Luckily it looks like it was only superficial so I'm hoping to be able to ski again soon.

Wow. That should not happen due to tight boots. Lesson to all skiers....take the time and spend the money on a custom boot fit. Best decision you'll ever make!

Tahoe is suppose to get dumped on by with 8 feet of snow through this Thursday. Just cashed in some Airline miles to get up their Friday evening. VIBES.

Too much snow - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/09...too-much-snow/

I have been restricted from going outside at Alta (chains locking the doors) but they are on their game with avalanche control. Only takes about 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCDeac View Post
    Too much snow - http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/09...too-much-snow/

I have been restricted from going outside at Alta (chains locking the doors) but they are on their game with avalanche control. Only takes about 2 hours.
    Monarch closed today. Pow is off the chains out here. Soooo gudt.

It's dumping in Park City right now. We should have about another foot tomorrow after getting about five inches last night

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryMen View Post
    It's dumping in Park City right now. We should have about another foot tomorrow after getting about five inches last night
    Yeah, 70 has been closed today twice for avalanches. They closed abasin so people would stop trying to get there. Turns out I'm a dipshit and its just frostnip and skiers toe so I may be skiing this weekend