• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

I would definitely consider Aspen/Snowmass. Great variety and Snowmass is the best mountain in CO. The town of Aspen pretty much speaks for itself.

If you look at renting a condo there are some good deals out there. Hotels are super expensive though.

Agreed. Snowmass is amazing. Lots of terrain at all skill levels.

Returned from Telluride Wednesday night. We skiied Sunday - Tuesday. First two days were pretty foggy with light snow. Tuesday was a perfect bluebird day. We stayed in Telluride and really enjoyed the restaurants and walkability of the town. Took the gondola to Mtn Village for kids' ski school, but otherwise to lift #8 for access to the mountain. Highly recommend and will definitely be back.

Would like to post a pic from top of lift #9, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Just booked my trip first of March to Big Sky. First time. Big time.

Congrats. You'll love it. Hike the Headwaters at Moonlight Basin for quite the rush. But don't almost get frostbite like me, and don't be stupid like me and not wear a helmet.

Just booked my trip first of March to Big Sky. First time. Big time.

Also going to Big Sky for the first time (and first time out west!) in about a month. Have plane tickets but still planning rest of trip. Any thoughts or recs on where to stay? Or is it basically Mountain Village trumps all? We are planning on renting a car and exploring the surrounding areas (hiking/snowshoeing) and West Yellowstone in addition to skiing. Thought it might be easier to get in and out of Meadow Village but then getting to the slopes is more of a hassle.

Edited to add: Just 2 of us going.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Also going to Big Sky for the first time (and first time out west!) in about a month. Have plane tickets but still planning rest of trip. Any thoughts or recs on where to stay? Or is it basically Mountain Village trumps all? We are planning on renting a car and exploring the surrounding areas (hiking/snowshoeing) and West Yellowstone in addition to skiing. Thought it might be easier to get in and out of Meadow Village but then getting to the slopes is more of a hassle.

Thanks.

SNOWMOBILING in Yellowstone is awesome.

Thanks.

Meadow Village will give you way more dining/bar options. Just a question of whether you want to make that drive at night back to Mt Village, or in the morning to get up there. Either way, its not awful. I'd probably stay in the Meadow though, more stuff to do at night.

I'm trying to get a quick couple of days in early march. I have to fly in somewhere, ski hard, and leave 2 days later. Flights are pretty cheap from clt-salt lake city - are the ski resorts easy to get to from the airport? I presume the snow will still be good in either CO or UT in early march right? My biggest decision point is ease of access - don't want to waste a bunch of time connecting flights, driving to the airport, or dealing with once per day flight constraints. So I think that means either Denver or SLC unless there's something I haven't thought of? Thanks.

If you can get a direct flight to Salt Lake then that is the way to go. Utah resorts are much closer to the airport (unless you get a flight into Aspen, Eagle/Vail, or Hayden in Colorado).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm trying to get a quick couple of days in early march. I have to fly in somewhere, ski hard, and leave 2 days later. Flights are pretty cheap from clt-salt lake city - are the ski resorts easy to get to from the airport? I presume the snow will still be good in either CO or UT in early march right? My biggest decision point is ease of access - don't want to waste a bunch of time connecting flights, driving to the airport, or dealing with once per day flight constraints. So I think that means either Denver or SLC unless there's something I haven't thought of? Thanks.

You can literally drive to the resorts from the SLC airport in 30 minutes. Denver is much further

SNOWMOBILING in Yellowstone is awesome.

This is on our shortlist.

Meadow Village will give you way more dining/bar options. Just a question of whether you want to make that drive at night back to Mt Village, or in the morning to get up there. Either way, its not awful. I'd probably stay in the Meadow though, more stuff to do at night.

Good deal, thanks for the advice.

This is on our shortlist.

Good deal, thanks for the advice.

One thing on snowmobiling. Yellowstone has speed limits and relatively flat trails.

We typically opt for one of the "powder packages" out of Jackson/Big Sky that still takes you way out in the wilderness where you see a lot of wildlife, but are less confined to road-type trails with speed limits. Typically, the guide will give you an hour or so (sometimes more) of "free play" as well, where as long as you stay in a huge designated area like a bowl or something, you're free to do whatever you want with the machines.

One thing on snowmobiling. Yellowstone has speed limits and relatively flat trails.

We typically opt for one of the "powder packages" out of Jackson/Big Sky that still takes you way out in the wilderness where you see a lot of wildlife, but are less confined to road-type trails with speed limits. Typically, the guide will give you an hour or so (sometimes more) of "free play" as well, where as long as you stay in a huge designated area like a bowl or something, you're free to do whatever you want with the machines.

Good to know.

We'll be staying up near Moonlight Basin, in a supposed ski in/ski out house via some lifts in that community. We're definitely doing one day at Yellowstone.

Had a good half day at A-Basin this past weekend. Crowds were manageable and I thought the snow was pretty good.

On board for my flight to SLC now. Alta for 3 days. No complaints (except the flight delay)

Back