• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

yeah i am trying to get everything reserved today. Lift tickets and rentals are all I have left.

Alta was closed today for avalanche control from the massive dump of snow they just got.

Alta was closed today for avalanche control from the massive dump of snow they just got.

Snowbird too. The "Interlodge" protocol they have is pretty nuts. Literally you're not allowed to leave your hotel at times, as avalanches could possibly reach all the way down to the village. 50 inches of snow in 48 hours.

Currently on the way there after working a couple days in SLC, if my plane will ever take off. 6 hour flight delay currently. My boss said he got 14 inches even at his house this morning in the valley. Pretty jacked.

Little Cottonwood Canyon STILL closed as of right now. After a very slow start, it has just dumped on Alta in February!

Little Cottonwood Canyon STILL closed as of right now. After a very slow start, it has just dumped on Alta in February!

Finally opening this afternoon, but more snow coming tomorrow/Saturday. Really hoping I can get up there Saturday afternoon.

our family is headed out to stay in park city the first week of april. we are first timers to the area. Park City ski resort and some places will already be closed by then but it looks like Alta and a couple others are open for that week, but they are located about an hour drive away. we are beginners up to advanced/intermediate- wondering if Alta would be the place to go or is there another suggestion out there. also would we need to get there early in the morning (like you have to in NC) to beat lines for rentals, tickets, lessons, etc.? Is the drive back and forth easy to handle or I wonder if we should get a hotel room for one night night if we want to ski 2 days in a row.

our family is headed out to stay in park city the first week of april. we are first timers to the area. Park City ski resort and some places will already be closed by then but it looks like Alta and a couple others are open for that week, but they are located about an hour drive away. we are beginners up to advanced/intermediate- wondering if Alta would be the place to go or is there another suggestion out there. also would we need to get there early in the morning (like you have to in NC) to beat lines for rentals, tickets, lessons, etc.? Is the drive back and forth easy to handle or I wonder if we should get a hotel room for one night night if we want to ski 2 days in a row.

The trip between Alta and Park City is super easy. I think its just under an hour from Canyons. Alta has a lot of varied terrain and Im able to ski a lot of it as an intermediate skier. Not nearly as big as PCMR but plenty big for east coast skiers. People in Utah are super snobby about ski conditions so that time of year should be pretty empty but not sure of COVID impact. We would just haul our skis over to avoid that hassle and get a ticket at the window. Keep in mind, lifts close 4ish. A few spring breaks ago the conditions sucked in Park City where our condo was so we just shuttled back-n-forth each day to Alta. I think as the crow flies its like 5 miles but you need to circle around and up the canyon,

Alta is such an old school awesome place. Really miss going this year. Really a great vibe....

also would we need to get there early in the morning (like you have to in NC) to beat lines for rentals, tickets, lessons, etc.? Is the drive back and forth easy to handle or I wonder if we should get a hotel room for one night night if we want to ski 2 days in a row.

Reserve lessons the night before by calling the ski school. Rent your equipment for multiple days so you are not wasting time with that in the morning, although it is not nearly the cluster you will see in NC. (I usually rent demo powder skis from the place directly across from Goldminer’s and next to the ticket office). You can also buy your tickets the night before but that won’t be so bad either way. At Alta, there are lodges but no traditional hotels. I prefer Goldminer’s, FWIW. It has the perfect location and a great vibe. Some other great options there at higher price points if you want something with more luxury. There is plenty of intermediate terrain at Alta. Same with Snowbird, which is immediately adjacent.

Alta is the only place I lost a ski day because of too much snow.

Heading to snowshoe this weekend for a bachelor Party, then up to breck in a couple weeks. Pumped

bachelor party in snowshoe? was wintergreen booked? maybe hit hickory for some real fun.

If your group are all skiers, we always stayed in Park City and skied at Deer Valley. Awesome conditions, great runs, and the Park City village life. 10 min drive and you can usually arranged transport from the hotels.

If your group are all skiers, we always stayed in Park City and skied at Deer Valley. Awesome conditions, great runs, and the Park City village life. 10 min drive and you can usually arranged transport from the hotels.

Love Park City. Just got back a few weeks ago, hadn't been there in a few years. Getting ready to book next year's trip. Hard to be airport to slopes in less than 45 mins.

Snowbird & Alta were pretty epic last week. 7 feet of snow in the prior week and probably 10 more inches while we were there. Forgot how hard of a mountain Snowbird is. Little rough on my wife, who's an intermediate skier (at best). Personally, I like the mountain better, but Alta is much better for beginners/intermediates. Alta is also much cheaper for on mountain food/booze. Snowbird has the much better small mountain village, restaurants, and lodging options.

Snowbird can be a little intimidating unless you're significantly above the intermediate level. I just happen to prefer Alta, because it's so beautiful and zero boarders.

Snowbird can be a little intimidating unless you're significantly above the intermediate level. I just happen to prefer Alta, because it's so beautiful and zero boarders.

Can't go wrong with either. I think Snowbird, especially from the top of the tram and in Mineral Basin, is a little more scenic, but it's all pretty amazing. Wild how much more rugged the Little Cottonwood mountains are than the ones up in Park City. Guess that's why they get almost twice the snow.

Back