• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

Anyone ever stayed at Big sky - lone moose or saddle Ridge? Both claim to be ski-in/ski-out but I can't tell for sure.

Anyone ever stayed at Big sky - lone moose or saddle Ridge? Both claim to be ski-in/ski-out but I can't tell for sure.

A good friend just stayed at Saddle Ridge and said it was great and def ski in/out with a good ski valet to boot.

Sorta depends on which specific unit in Saddle Ridge. All have good access, some are great.

Let's talk more about Big Sky. Planning to take the family next season. It's been a while since they've been out west. I've got two teenagers who are decent skiers, and my wife has really improved over the past couple years, but they haven't been off groomers in a long time. I have a few questions:
1. stay on the mountain or off? Off mountain will save money, and I may want to rent a car to do some sightseeing anyway. If you stay off mountain, what is the driving/parking situation like? Is there a ski valet or rental lockers at one of the lodges that we can use during our trip so we don't have to schlep all our stuff every day?
2. Any recommendations on where to stay specifically? I will look into Saddle Ridge.
3. Thinking I will buy everyone a lesson of some kind on day one. Maybe a group lesson for the kids and a private lesson for me and the wife to work on our powder skills. Anyone have experience with lessons at Big Sky?
4. Restaurants or activities I should look into? We usually take one day off skiing when we go out west and do some sightseeing. Thinking of going down to Yellowstone, or maybe touring around Bozeman which I've heard is cool.

Appreciate the OGBoards hive mind insights.

Let's talk more about Big Sky. Planning to take the family next season. It's been a while since they've been out west. I've got two teenagers who are decent skiers, and my wife has really improved over the past couple years, but they haven't been off groomers in a long time. I have a few questions:
1. stay on the mountain or off? Off mountain will save money, and I may want to rent a car to do some sightseeing anyway. If you stay off mountain, what is the driving/parking situation like? Is there a ski valet or rental lockers at one of the lodges that we can use during our trip so we don't have to schlep all our stuff every day?
2. Any recommendations on where to stay specifically? I will look into Saddle Ridge.
3. Thinking I will buy everyone a lesson of some kind on day one. Maybe a group lesson for the kids and a private lesson for me and the wife to work on our powder skills. Anyone have experience with lessons at Big Sky?
4. Restaurants or activities I should look into? We usually take one day off skiing when we go out west and do some sightseeing. Thinking of going down to Yellowstone, or maybe touring around Bozeman which I've heard is cool.

Appreciate the OGBoards hive mind insights.

1) On. The convenience is worth the extra $. Plus it's easier to have lunch at 'home'.
2) Check out the cabins in Cowboy Heaven. Easy ski in/out. Ideal for a single family.
3)
4) Not big into eating out (especially dinner) when we're there, but plenty of options both in the resort village, as well as down the mountain in the town (20 mins away). One year my teenage daughter couldn't ski (ACL), so her and some friends did some dog-sledding in Yellowstone. Loved it. I would not spend a day in Bozeman in the middle of the trip, but perhaps on the front end or back end.

I'm getting our trip scheduled for next 12/18-25. Pretty pumped about it.

I'm leaning toward Saddle Ridge but will check out the cabins. I was thinking about Lone Moose, but it's kind of off by itself and you have to take two lifts just to get to the main mountain.

If you can get a snowmobile tour of Yellowstone, I remember that being amazing when I was 8. Think it's pretty limited now.

I did a snowmobile tour through Grand Teton National Park when I was in Jackson Hole and it was fucking spectacular

I did a snowmobile tour through Grand Teton National Park when I was in Jackson Hole and it was fucking spectacular

I did this as well probably 4 years ago. It was amazing!

Heading to Breck on Wednesday. Weather is calling for that Pow Pow, stoke levels high.

If you do a snowmobile excursion, do one that involves mostly "free play", not just riding on groomed trails with a guide & big group. Pretty sure all the Yellowstone tours are now the latter. Going 75 in a snowmobile in chest deep powder across a frozen lake outside Jackson is one of the more exhilarating things I've ever done.

If you do a snowmobile excursion, do one that involves mostly "free play", not just riding on groomed trails with a guide & big group. Pretty sure all the Yellowstone tours are now the latter. Going 75 in a snowmobile in chest deep powder across a frozen lake outside Jackson is one of the more exhilarating things I've ever done.

Yep next time i do it, that's what I am booking.

1) On. The convenience is worth the extra $. Plus it's easier to have lunch at 'home'.
2) Check out the cabins in Cowboy Heaven. Easy ski in/out. Ideal for a single family.
3)
4) Not big into eating out (especially dinner) when we're there, but plenty of options both in the resort village, as well as down the mountain in the town (20 mins away). One year my teenage daughter couldn't ski (ACL), so her and some friends did some dog-sledding in Yellowstone. Loved it. I would not spend a day in Bozeman in the middle of the trip, but perhaps on the front end or back end.

posrep.

Took the family to Big Sky about a month ago and we had a great time. We stayed at Saddle Ridge Unit #G5 which is a slopeside condo which had great ski in/ski out access. It was literally about 30 yards to access the Iron Horse ski lift. Lone Peak is awesome particularly on a sunny day when the visibility is good. We spent several days in West Yellowstone and rented snowmobiles via Two Top outfitters. One day we took a guided tour ( 8 hours) into Yellowstone Park and saw Old Faithful and plenty of wildlife. The next day we went out on our own and did an unguided trip. There are over 400 miles of groomed trails. They provide you with all the necessary clothing, boots and helmet as well as a map and inform you which trails are better that day based on the weather conditions. We had a blast and would highly recommend renting snowmobiles if you have an extra day or two. It is about a one hour drive from Big Sky to West Yellowstone. We plan on doing this trip again next year.

so I'm supposed to take two of my boys to Denver this weekend - leaving tomorrow morning. Touring schools Friday, skiing at Keystone Sat/Sun. Now I see that they are expecting 3 feet of snow over the weekend in the foothills and 18" at Keystone.....I should postpone this for a week or two right? I love skiing but skiing in a blizzard isn't fun.

so I'm supposed to take two of my boys to Denver this weekend - leaving tomorrow morning. Touring schools Friday, skiing at Keystone Sat/Sun. Now I see that they are expecting 3 feet of snow over the weekend in the foothills and 18" at Keystone.....I should postpone this for a week or two right? I love skiing but skiing in a blizzard isn't fun.

Depends. In whiteout conditions ya it can be a bummer, and make you an anxious skier, but if there is good visibility it can lead to epic days. When I lived on the western slope of CO we got alot of snow at night and then some blue bird days in March. My best day of skiing ever was the Christmas blizzard of 08, I told both jobs I was working at the other place and had an amazing powder day.

Watch the ski reports see what they say. Could be just some good powder and not a total white wash.

When is your return flight?

Might be do-able if you can get to Keystone friday night and aren't planning to leave the mountain until Monday. Getting back to Denver on Sunday could be very sketchy, especially in a rental without decent tires.

I bailed....pushed it two weeks. We were supposed to fly back Sunday night and that was my biggest concern. Also - they have only skied once (last year) so asking them to ski deep in a blizzard isn't a good idea.

TOMER-3D-SNOW-FORECAST-FRONT-RANGE.png

sorry for off topic question, but the first week of April, are there any public golf courses/ tennis options available not too far from Park City? they may all still be closed..

I’m pretty sure there are. We’ve skied over spring break and there are courses around park city that have been open. The course at the canyons has been closed though.

Back