• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

For younger family trip, we loved Lake Tahoe - mostly due to weather. You can get great snow or questionable snow, but there is always enough green/blue for younger kids (13 and under). Out of 20 ski days, it was sunny and 40 degrees probably 16 of them. My wife and kids fell in love with skiing / boarding.

From GSO, we drove to CLT and flew direct to Sacramento, then drove 1.5 hours over into tahoe. From RDU, you would probably fly Delta to ATL to Sacramento.

The last couple of years we did Aspen/Snowmass/Buttermilk during the end of January for the X Games. Skiing was great and kids loved X Games, but skiing all day and X games all night wasn't much of a vacation. Skiing was better than Tahoe, but it was colder.

This year we are staying at Breckenridge and going to ski around Summit county some too. I haven't been there in 20+ years, but I remember Breckenridge being a laid back version of Aspen.

Do they not do full day ski school for adults?

It looks like they're all half day lessons.

do you really want a full day? half a day should be enough to get you on your feet.

As a professional ski instructor, I would recommend at least one full day of lessons for a true beginner.

discdude i'm assuming you don't like vail because china bowl gets super icy without the fresh powder?

Sweet. Where is your place in Canyons? We stayed at Grand Summit which was unique. We had 3 adults and 2 kids and got a huge place with kitchen that was 10 steps from the orange bubble lift.

And a big thanks to everyone. Given the wife's hatred of travel, easy access is key as is a good variety of terrain. So Im thinking back to PC or perhaps Snowmass. Worried about snow in Canyons though. Seems like they got nothing right now. And flights to Denver are def cheaper.

Our place is at the Westgate, which is also in the Canyons resort village like the Grand Summit. Also, not sure if you went to Deer Valley and Park City Mountain last time, but there is free bus service to both of them from the bottom of the Cabriolet at the Canyons. And if you're renting a car, it's a quick hours drive to the Cottonwoods (Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, Solitude)

Ive thought about staying there. Any big differences?

We rented a car...Ate a lot in PC so the car helped. Def want to ski either PCMR or DV. Which do you prefer or are they essentially the same? We stick ot the Blues and Double Blues (didnt even know those existed) at Canyons. Man, I really loved Canyons. What a great set of mountains.

If looking for CO and not Vail, Aspen/Snowmass and Telluride are the two best combination of ski town and ski mountains in CO. Both are a bit of a pain to get to.

Breck/Keystone and the rest of Summit Co is easier to get to, but dont compare to Aspen/Vail/Telluride.

discdude i'm assuming you don't like vail because china bowl gets super icy without the fresh powder?

Yeah the back bowls ice up. I don't like vail without fresh powder because it gets packed and you end up skiing cat tracks all day.

Last edited:
I'm also curious about this. Went to Vail last year. Planning a trip in March somewhere in CO again this year for a group, i.e. friends not family.

Go to Crested Butte super challenging mountain with great powder.

We're looking more for a mountain that has a range of terrain as the skiing ability of everyone varies. Since Vail last year, we are thinking Breck this year?

Breck is fun. Super windy, but a fun town to get blasted in afterwards. Definitely cheaper than Vail, Aspen and Telluride. You can also bounce to Copper, Keystone, and A Basin pretty easily.

Breck is fun. Super windy, but a fun town to get blasted in afterwards. Definitely cheaper than Vail, Aspen and Telluride. You can also bounce to Copper, Keystone, and A Basin pretty easily.

Vail was great but the house rentals were way more expensive than Breck. We could do it again. We'll be flying into Denver airport and then driving over. Looking for something convenient and nice.

Vail was great but the house rentals were way more expensive than Breck. We could do it again. We'll be flying into Denver airport and then driving over. Looking for something convenient and nice.

Do you want to ski in and out?

Last edited:
Yeah the back bowls ice up. I don't like vail without fresh powder because it gets packed and you end up skiing cat tracks all day.

Vail also doesn't have much terrain variety either unless you want to ride a bunch of lifts and spend a bunch of time getting back to Blue Sky Basin IMO...

Vail also doesn't have much terrain variety either unless you want to ride a bunch of lifts and spend a bunch of time getting back to Blue Sky Basin IMO...

Yeah that's my point with the cat track comments.

We got caught on the top of Arapahoe Basin in a snow storm one year - snow was up to my chest and we were just slogging down the mountain. A guy had his ski come off and it was just gone. Spent half an hour trying to help look for it. No chance. Most snow I've ever seen.

Back