• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

Going to Alta next week. I have always rented demo skis from the shop at GMD. Has anyone tried the shop next to the lift for rentals? I hear it is cheaper but don't want to waste time since I will be arriving late night, renting first thing in the am, then taking daughter up to the ski school. Gracias if you have any experience to share, one way or the other.

I just read the long term forecast and it looks amazing. I love the way they talk not just about the amount of snow but the type of snow....

Snowbird has some great early week stay and ski packages available right now (and the lift tickets can be upgraded to include Alta as well) - thinking of pulling the trigger for Sun-Thurs the last week in February. Never skied Snowbird or Alta (only Park City and Deer Valley in Utah) - any thoughts on Snowbird (I clearly see the love for Alta on this thread)?

Snowbird is excellent, too. You can't go wrong. Same snow conditions. Some very nice bowls. Have not explored the out-of-bound and trees there. The crossover to Alta is very, easy, too.

No, but Polygamy Porter is excellent - "Why have just one?" is (or at least once was) the tag line.

Is everyone in Utah a Mormon?

Fun facts we learned in the little town history museum in Park City (which is an excellent small museum, highly recommend): Park City essentially started as an army camp where a brigade or division or whatever was stationed primarily to keep tabs on those crazy Mormons. The leader of the soldiers needed to give his troops something to do, and also get some new settlers into Utah to counterbalance the power of the Mormons, so he ordered his troops to spend their time prospecting. They found silver, and Park City got an influx of settlers and became a mining town. The Hearst family fortune was mined out of the ground under Deer Valley.

Still today, the Mormon population of Park City is very low and they're regarded with a bit of suspicion there. Park City is all about coffee, beer and liquor, that's for sure.

I am going to Grand Targhee around Easter, anyone have any recommendations for the trip? Apparently it is suppose to be a powder paradise. The only place in Wyoming I have ever skied was Jackson Hole, and JH absolutely shits on the best Colorado has to offer. Needless to say I am super pumped.

I am going to Grand Targhee around Easter, anyone have any recommendations for the trip? Apparently it is suppose to be a powder paradise. The only place in Wyoming I have ever skied was Jackson Hole, and JH absolutely shits on the best Colorado has to offer. Needless to say I am super pumped.

Wyoming is a super underrated state. It's the shit. Have fun. I'm jelly.

Grand Targhee is amazing. Haven't been in probably six or seven years but used to love that place. Completely different vibe than Jackson Hole.

Are you staying up at the resort? There's not a ton to do there other than ski if I recall. A restaurant and bar or two. Pretty sure they offer Cat skiing to go get some freshies if you want. Hike Mary's Nipple to say you did it.

Will Grand Targhee be open at Easter? Teton Village (JH) usually closes in early April.

I'll be in JH for 2 weeks in mid-February.

IMO, from a pure skiing/snowboarding standpoint, Grand Targhee beats anything in Colorado/Utah. Not much to do after you get off the slopes, however.

36" at Snowmass from Saturday night through Tuesday morning. Two weeks, and I'll be there!

Anyone ever been a spectator at the Winter X Games?

We went a few years back. Parking was a pain - off site, muddy lots, then you had to go through security before boarding a bus over to Buttermilk. Otherwise it was a good time. Cool atmosphere and fun event - if I remember correctly, alcohol only available in the VIP sections.

36" at Snowmass from Saturday night through Tuesday morning. Two weeks, and I'll be there!

Definitely not saying you were doing this, but I talked to a property manager in Park City who said that they get a big spike in future bookings when it snows which is funny because even if they get 5 feet it's barely going to make a difference a week or two later

Definitely not saying you were doing this, but I talked to a property manager in Park City who said that they get a big spike in future bookings when it snows which is funny because even if they get 5 feet it's barely going to make a difference a week or two later

Certainly true. I'm not concerned about conditions--they're going to be good. Even if it doesn't snow again before then, the corduroy will be great with a base that deep. With this El Niño pattern, though, they've been getting consistently hammered. I think they got close to 100" in January alone.

Leaving GMD in less than 2 hours for the red eye home. Great four days at Alta - we got a surprise dump of snow on Friday that was outstanding. Already looking forward to next year.

I was really hyped to go to Colorado rocking Panther gear next week. Now have to see a bunch of Bronco stuff everywhere. Going to have to grin and bear it...

Back