• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

09b617a3f181c607716cb5ac50e70342.jpg

Bluebird day at Snowmass today after about four inches of snow overnight. Weather is much warmer than usual for February, but the conditions are still good.

Getting here was a giant pain in the ass, as there was a big rockslide in the Glenwood Springs canyon that closed I-70 the day before we got here. Had to drive all the way up to Steamboat, across to Craig, and down to Rifle to get back to Glenwood Springs from the west. Added about four hours to the drive.

Just landed at SLC and am on my way up to Snowbird. Snow forecasted for tomorrow - I'm stoked.

bump - I'm going to be in Denver for a meeting early tomorrow AM and fly out late Friday. I have 2 half days available for skiing. Where should I go? Considering Loveland (pro: cheap; cons: cold and windy, slow lifts); A-Basin (not as cheap, not sure about the wind); and Copper ($100 more for the 2 days, but better terrain and faster lifts.) Thanks!

bump - I'm going to be in Denver for a meeting early tomorrow AM and fly out late Friday. I have 2 half days available for skiing. Where should I go? Considering Loveland (pro: cheap; cons: cold and windy, slow lifts); A-Basin (not as cheap, not sure about the wind); and Copper ($100 more for the 2 days, but better terrain and faster lifts.) Thanks!

I have Loveland. With the recent snow, the mountains will be packed this weekend. Loveland is, literally, never crowded. Plus, free cat rides for the bowls. Lastly, it is the closest of all those mountains, and with traffic this weekend that will save you travel time while increasing skiing.

09b617a3f181c607716cb5ac50e70342.jpg

Bluebird day at Snowmass today after about four inches of snow overnight. Weather is much warmer than usual for February, but the conditions are still good.

Getting here was a giant pain in the ass, as there was a big rockslide in the Glenwood Springs canyon that closed I-70 the day before we got here. Had to drive all the way up to Steamboat, across to Craig, and down to Rifle to get back to Glenwood Springs from the west. Added about four hours to the drive.

We got lucky and slipped through between slides. But of course had to go that way back to Eagle to fly out. Snowmass was EFFING GREAT. Snowboarding and skiing were on point, especially in the trees.

So i'll be in Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee, Thursday through Sunday. Thursday we probably wont have any time to make tram laps at JH, so we are planning on taking the day in town or in the area. Anyone got suggestions on day good plans, we will be in JH around noon and will have the rest of the day to kick it. Last time we went snowmobiling through Yellow Stone, it was sooo awesome.

I have Loveland. With the recent snow, the mountains will be packed this weekend. Loveland is, literally, never crowded. Plus, free cat rides for the bowls. Lastly, it is the closest of all those mountains, and with traffic this weekend that will save you travel time while increasing skiing.

Loveland got the nod, and that was some fantastic powder. Had to have been 10 inches overnight and it was so light. Truly amazing.

On united flight now, heading into Denver now for a week of skiing with the family. Weather looks great.

So i'll be in Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee, Thursday through Sunday. Thursday we probably wont have any time to make tram laps at JH, so we are planning on taking the day in town or in the area. Anyone got suggestions on day good plans, we will be in JH around noon and will have the rest of the day to kick it. Last time we went snowmobiling through Yellow Stone, it was sooo awesome.

Day drink at the Snake River Brewery....

I just started planning the family ski trip over Christmas this year. We have been to Tahoe and Colorado last several years and want to try Utah this year. I have never skied Utah, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Family is made up of 2 skiers (late 40's) and 6 boarders ranging in age from 15 to 21. Kids like the terrain parks, but we still cover most of the mountain.

Specifically looking for house or condo (4+ bdr) that is either ski in / out or very close to lifts.

Any suggestions of where to ski / stay would be appreciated.

I just started planning the family ski trip over Christmas this year. We have been to Tahoe and Colorado last several years and want to try Utah this year. I have never skied Utah, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Family is made up of 2 skiers (late 40's) and 6 boarders ranging in age from 15 to 21. Kids like the terrain parks, but we still cover most of the mountain.

Specifically looking for house or condo (4+ bdr) that is either ski in / out or very close to lifts.

Don't go to Tahoe over Christmas. You are basically betting on a 50/50 chance that there will be snow. I would go somewhere you can bank on snow that time of year. I would stick with CO, or WY.

Park City Mountain Resort is where you want to be. I'd recommend Deer Valley, which is where I took my family last and will again this year, but they don't allow boards.

Don't go to Tahoe over Christmas. You are basically betting on a 50/50 chance that there will be snow. I would go somewhere you can bank on snow that time of year. I would stick with CO, or WY.

This is the correct answer - Utah hasn't been getting consistent snow the last few years. Last year they got dumped on over Christmas but you'd be safer going to Colorado.

Colorado. The boarders will love the dispensaries. And so will you.

If you go to Utah, your snowboarders will not get to do the best two areas which are, in my view, Alta and Deer Valley. That being said, your boarders will be ecstatic at Brighton, Solitude, and Snowbird. the skiers will love it as well.

The great thing about Utah is being able to stay in Salt Lake City rather than on the mountain. Every resort is a 30-45 minute drive from downtown. I understand the allure of slopeside, but it's pricey.

Bumping this for 2017. Looking to go ski a few days over MLK weekend and am debating about Winter Park - found a good deal and I like that it's closer to DIA. Anyone ever ski there?

Back