• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

I would definitely consider Aspen/Snowmass. Great variety and Snowmass is the best mountain in CO. The town of Aspen pretty much speaks for itself.

If you look at renting a condo there are some good deals out there. Hotels are super expensive though.

If you haven't skied the Cottonwood area of Utah, you should do that. Alta is my personal "cathedral"!

By my memory I'd put Park City above just about anything. Vail and Breckenridge next. Steamboat just below them, then a pretty good drop down to Keyston/Copper and the lesser known Colorado spots. Not that any of them can't be an awesome experience.

I would definitely consider Aspen/Snowmass. Great variety and Snowmass is the best mountain in CO. The town of Aspen pretty much speaks for itself.

If you look at renting a condo there are some good deals out there. Hotels are super expensive though.

This is all true, but all very expensive compared to Copper and Winter Park. Also, all of the places listed above will be far more crowded.

I love steamboat for the family. Very family friendly, great dining options. Sheraton is right by the gondola.

This is all true, but all very expensive compared to Copper and Winter Park. Also, all of the places listed above will be far more crowded.

Did you just try to say any Aspen/Snowmass mountain would be more crowded than a front range mountain like Copper? No. Just no. I like Copper but that's just wrong.

I'm biased, my family has a place at the Canyons, but I think Park City is as good as it gets. If you didn't do Deer Valley last time, I would highly recommend it - it's a very family friendly place (note: no snowboarding there).

If you're not afraid of somewhere that's a little harder to get to, I would highly recommend Grand Targhee, which is right on the Idaho-Wyoming border. The housing on-site is very affordable and it at one point was known for getting the most powder of anywhere in the US. We used to go there every year when I was a kid and I have great memories of the ski school, terrain, experience, etc. To get there, you either fly into Idaho Falls or Jackson Hole and then take a two-hour van ride

Sweet. Where is your place in Canyons? We stayed at Grand Summit which was unique. We had 3 adults and 2 kids and got a huge place with kitchen that was 10 steps from the orange bubble lift.

And a big thanks to everyone. Given the wife's hatred of travel, easy access is key as is a good variety of terrain. So Im thinking back to PC or perhaps Snowmass. Worried about snow in Canyons though. Seems like they got nothing right now. And flights to Denver are def cheaper.

Did you just try to say any Aspen/Snowmass mountain would be more crowded than a front range mountain like Copper? No. Just no. I like Copper but that's just wrong.

No I didn't mean to include Aspen in crowds, but good luck with price. Sounds like the OP has a crew. Crowds hold true for everything else. Fuck Vail on anything but a solid powder day.

Also, it is 2 hours less driving from DIA. Less risk of not being able get out to it.

I think Copper is the best balance of price, distance and housing availability.

Last edited:
If you aren't married to CO/UT, try Big Sky, Montana. It is fantastic for families and the skiing is amazing. (Yes, I'm aware that the post was asking for advice specific to CO/UT - but I'm hoping you might be open to anything out there if you're going from Raleigh.)

I have a good friend who grew up in Bozeman and she raves about this place. But, the last time I went to Montana it was a very long trip…Thinking I take this trip with a few buddies, not kids.

No I didn't mean to include Aspen in crowds, but good luck with price. Sounds like the OP has a crew. Crowds hold true for everything else. Fuck Vail on anything but a solid powder day.

Amen to that.

I have a good friend who grew up in Bozeman and she raves about this place. But, the last time I went to Montana it was a very long trip…Thinking I take this trip with a few buddies, not kids.

Heading to Bozeman/Big Sky on New Years Day for 5 ski days. Beauty of Big Sky is that its the largest ski mountain (counting Moonlight) in the US, and gets about 1/6 the amount of traffic as a Vail, so basically no lift lines. If you stay in Bozeman (1 hr drive to BS) you can also ski Bridger Bowl, the in-town local spot. Its not the easiest place to get to, but can connect thru Denver, Chicago, ATL, Minneapolis. Basically no chance of another airport being built closer than Bozeman's, so should never attract the traffic of CO or UT.

Snowmobiling in Utah was one of the coolest things I've ever done, by the way. If you do Park City, make it happen.

Heading to Bozeman/Big Sky on New Years Day for 5 ski days. Beauty of Big Sky is that its the largest ski mountain (counting Moonlight) in the US, and gets about 1/6 the amount of traffic as a Vail, so basically no lift lines. If you stay in Bozeman (1 hr drive to BS) you can also ski Bridger Bowl, the in-town local spot. Its not the easiest place to get to, but can connect thru Denver, Chicago, ATL, Minneapolis. Basically no chance of another airport being built closer than Bozeman's, so should never attract the traffic of CO or UT.

We went to Glacier and the closest we could get was Missoula. It was a horrible trip BUT glacier was worth it.

Snowmobiling in Utah was one of the coolest things I've ever done, by the way. If you do Park City, make it happen.

same experience here, except substitute "Yellowstone" and "Big Sky".

Back