• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

Just finished 6 days at Big Sky. Great snow, hardly any lift lines. Capped by an unexpected 6" yesterday.

Just finished 6 days at Big Sky. Great snow, hardly any lift lines. Capped by an unexpected 6" yesterday.

Love Big Sky. It's been over 20 years since I've been there, I'm sure alot has changed. We went over Christmas break my freshman year at Wake and it was incredible and as you mention - great snow and hardly any lift lines.

Alta tomorrow. I am unreasonably excited.

You suck as I look at the pitiful amount of snow SS has....

I did see that getting to Montana isn't as hard as I thought from RDU. That might be next years father-son trip.

Still wish we had a non stop to SLC. That was awesome.

Had a great day. My legs had to quit at 330 even though the rest of me wanted a couple more runs. Drinking watered down Utah beer at goldminers daughter right now.

You suck as I look at the pitiful amount of snow SS has....

I did see that getting to Montana isn't as hard as I thought from RDU. That might be next years father-son trip.

Still wish we had a non stop to SLC. That was awesome.

The West is the best. I know it's expensive, but Snowshoe just can't compare.

This thread is giving me the bug. I haven't been skiing in 5 or 6 years and my fiancée has never been. I may need to plan a trip next year.

I've skied and snowboarded but I'm wondering if she and I could do a beginners clinic together. Out west I've only been to Steamboat.

This thread is giving me the bug. I haven't been skiing in 5 or 6 years and my fiancée has never been. I may need to plan a trip next year.

I've skied and snowboarded but I'm wondering if she and I could do a beginners clinic together. Out west I've only been to Steamboat.

If you do, tell her to ski. She will pick that up and enjoy the trip. If she chooses snowboarding, she will be busting her ass the whole trip.

If you do, tell her to ski. She will pick that up and enjoy the trip. If she chooses snowboarding, she will be busting her ass the whole trip.

The only reason I would opt for snowboarding is that it's something we could do together. No way I'm going back to the pizza wedge on the bunny slope.

Yeah, but the next year will be better for her if she snowboards because of the learning curve. My wife has never been skiing, and when we go, which I'm hoping will be this year or next (if I can talk her into a ski vacation instead of a surf one), I'm definitely going to get her on a snowboard instead of skis. She can skateboard, surf, and wakeboard, so that helps, but either way I think the learning curve is so much steeper on a snowboard after the first 3-4 days that she'll be happier in the long run.

I ski, snowboard, and tele. Tele is my favorite, but it is just too hard to get in shape for it, so I'll probably just snowboard with her when we go.

By the way, I never go to CO anymore. About 10 years ago, I had a trip to Breck ruined by altitude sickness. All of the CO resorts are at a very high altitude, particularly in comparison to SLC. I love Summit County, but I'll never go there again.

Last edited:
Yeah, but the next year will be better for her if she snowboards because of the learning curve. My wife has never been skiing, and when we go, which I'm hoping will be this year or next (if I can talk her into a ski vacation instead of a surf one), I'm definitely going to get her on a snowboard instead of skis. She can skateboard, surf, and wakeboard, so that helps, but either way I think the learning curve is so much steeper on a snowboard after the first 3-4 days that she'll be happier in the long run.

I ski, snowboard, and tele. Tele is my favorite, but it is just too hard to get in shape for it, so I'll probably just snowboard with her when we go.

By the way, I never go to CO anymore. About 10 years ago, I had a trip to Breck ruined by altitude sickness. All of the CO resorts are at a very high altitude, particularly in comparison to SLC. I love Summit County, but I'll never go there again.

Good we don't wont you. Just kidding but seriously we don't need anymore people. I-70 is a mother fucking nightmare. Also, the Vail resorts are unskiiable on the weekends. I went with the Loveland pass to avoid the tourists.

The only reason I would opt for snowboarding is that it's something we could do together. No way I'm going back to the pizza wedge on the bunny slope.

She could be on greens doing well by a little after lunch. For how little it sounds like you will go, the learning curve will be far more difficult (have to disagree with junebug).

Good we don't wont you. Just kidding but seriously we don't need anymore people. I-70 is a mother fucking nightmare. Also, the Vail resorts are unskiiable on the weekends. I went with the Loveland pass to avoid the tourists.

Don't get me wrong. I love Summit County, but it just takes me too long to acclimate to the altitude. The base of Breck is 9,600 feet. SLC is 4,400.

I never liked Vail that much either. The back bowls are always crusty and the crowds are insane. Give me the Pallivacini chair at A basin any day over that.

She could be on greens doing well by a little after lunch. For how little it sounds like you will go, the learning curve will be far more difficult (have to disagree with junebug).

To clarify: IMHO, snowboarding sucks the first 3-4 days. It's much harder than skiing, and you are at constant risk of fly swatting and hurting your tailbone and wrists. After you get over that initial hump, though, I think it is much easier than skiing to get really good.

The problem is that if you only get 1 trip a year, if you snowboard, you are just resigning yourself to the fact that the first trip is going to suck.

To clarify: IMHO, snowboarding sucks the first 3-4 days. It's much harder than skiing, and you are at constant risk of fly swatting and hurting your tailbone and wrists. After you get over that initial hump, though, I think it is much easier than skiing to get really good.

The problem is that if you only get 1 trip a year, if you snowboard, you are just resigning yourself to the fact that the first trip is going to suck.

Yeah, but it sounds like she will snowboard for the first time on the trip, and then not do it again until the next year's trip. If that is the case, I think she will never pick up snowboarding. It will be like trying it for the first time every year. However with skiing, she will be able to pick up with a year's break in between pretty easily. You are correct that skiing is quick to learn and long to master, while snowboarding is hard to learn and easier to master.

Also, Vail is only worth hitting on powder days. Too crowded and crusty on non pow days.

Back