• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

RIGHT now? Banff is almost fully open but I don't think much in the US has a lot of snow yet. Most places seem to be 5-10% open.

Banff/Lake Louise are pretty epic. I preferred Lake Louise, but Sunshine is solid too, albeit a bit of a drive (only one onsite lodging option). We skipped Norquay, as it's pretty small/doesn't get as much snow. Only downside is they're often very cold. Like way colder than the US/coastal BC. Would be a pretty cool place to spend Christmas, though, Diggs, if you're able to reroute and haven't been.

There's supposed to be a pattern change middle/latter part of next week that will bring a few storms and colder temps to the west, but it's going to be too late for me - skiing some combo of the Ikon Utah resorts next weekend. Gonna be exclusively groomers, I'm pretty positive.

the snow reports out of Big Sky are completely terrible. I can't get out of the condo rental at this point, but I'm not buying any lift tickets until I see a lot more snow on the ground and we're 12 days away from travel. Keeping my fingers crossed, but if no more snow falls should I cancel flights and just eat the condo rental? There can't be anything else to do out there this time of year. Dammit.

Banff/Lake Louise are pretty epic. I preferred Lake Louise, but Sunshine is solid too, albeit a bit of a drive (only one onsite lodging option). We skipped Norquay, as it's pretty small/doesn't get as much snow. Only downside is they're often very cold. Like way colder than the US/coastal BC. Would be a pretty cool place to spend Christmas, though, Diggs, if you're able to reroute and haven't been.

There's supposed to be a pattern change middle/latter part of next week that will bring a few storms and colder temps to the west, but it's going to be too late for me - skiing some combo of the Ikon Utah resorts next weekend. Gonna be exclusively groomers, I'm pretty positive.

I have been to Banff over Christmas it was cold AF like highs in the below zeros. Also been there in the spring and it is fucking epic.

the snow reports out of Big Sky are completely terrible. I can't get out of the condo rental at this point, but I'm not buying any lift tickets until I see a lot more snow on the ground and we're 12 days away from travel. Keeping my fingers crossed, but if no more snow falls should I cancel flights and just eat the condo rental? There can't be anything else to do out there this time of year. Dammit.

Bro same, I am trying to convince my group to commit to Big Sky in February, but I think I am getting out voted on Park City. Probably gonna take a CO trip regardless as well.

Nowhere has any fucking snow right now, but if you had to bet on resorts that will soon historical snowfall says bet on Montana and Wyoming.

Cheer up, my fellow ski buffs! Alta reporting 25 inches of new fluff since yesterday!

seriously considered switching to there, except one of my sons is a snowboarder. I just spent the last hour searching for options for next week, and here's what I'm left with:

1. Cancel; eat the condo cost but don't pay for equipment, lift tickets, or airfare other than change fees
2. Stay at Big Sky, hope for some snow, but going to pay at least $4k for rentals and lift tix for 14 crowded runs that are currently described as "east coast" quality
3. Move the trip entirely - eat the condo cost, and shift to a place with snow. Very few places available. Keystone has some condos but it's going to set me back another $5k, and the skiing there isn't great. Upside is we could hit a bunch of places - Loveland is open, Keystone and Copper have some decent terrain open.

stupid crap snow

seriously considered switching to there, except one of my sons is a snowboarder. I just spent the last hour searching for options for next week, and here's what I'm left with:

1. Cancel; eat the condo cost but don't pay for equipment, lift tickets, or airfare other than change fees
2. Stay at Big Sky, hope for some snow, but going to pay at least $4k for rentals and lift tix for 14 crowded runs that are currently described as "east coast" quality
3. Move the trip entirely - eat the condo cost, and shift to a place with snow. Very few places available. Keystone has some condos but it's going to set me back another $5k, and the skiing there isn't great. Upside is we could hit a bunch of places - Loveland is open, Keystone and Copper have some decent terrain open.

stupid crap snow

Conditions in CO are crap; likely not much better than Big Sky. I think you'd be disappointed with what you found at Loveland, Copper, and Keystone right now.

Thanks. this sucks. My boys have been so excited to go, so to have such crap conditions is really frustrating. Spring break for Charlotte isn't until freaking mid-april so this is our shot to go this year.

Whitefish opened last week and they’ve had a ton of snow. Fly to Kalispell

We're just skipping school to go to Stowe and Breck this year.

With the difficult early snow seasons the past couple of years and the late spring break, I'm thinking of going before the school board and demanding a winter holiday so se can fly out west ski. As we all know, MLK Day is not when we want to be doing this.

Not to rub it in, but Alta is expecting 15-20 inches new Tuesday into Wednesday, right on the heels of last week's 25 inches.

Not to rub it in, but Alta is expecting 15-20 inches new Tuesday into Wednesday, right on the heels of last week's 25 inches.

They got 28 inches Thurs-Fri. I was there Friday and it was an unreal powder day. Waist deep drifts in spots and knee deep almost everywhere.

However, even after 24 inches, Solitude was awful on Saturday. Only 3 lifts and about 12 runs open. Alta very good again yesterday, though. Wish we could have stayed and skied Wed/Thurs, as they look great too.

Pattern looks really good for CA/UT/CO the next few weeks. Maybe less good for MT/WY, but still solid. Mammoth might get 100 inches in the next couple days from this "atmospheric river" hitting CA.

Big Sky picked up 10" yesterday with another 8-10 over the next day or two expected. Should improve things a bit. Question: now that I'm committed to going and it appears that there will be a little bit of terrain opened, should I buy lift tickets now or am i losing anything by waiting until I arrive? Not sure if they adjust the price day by day. I haven't ever had to deal with this before.

Report from big sky: all is great. 4” of fresh powder this morning and they are opening up new chunks of the mountain daily. Not perfect but far from a disappointment.

Pretty much all the Utah resorts supposed to get 3 feet+ in the next week. Gonna be some happy Christmas skiers. I don't think resorts will shut down again like 2020, but they're going to have to start enforcing masks in lodges/on lifts again. As of 10 days ago, they had absolutely zero Covid requirements (in Utah).

Back