• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

Good tips here. Thanks, friends. I'm kind of a wuss about doing the extreme stuff solo anymore (hikes, glades, etc), but could probably make some shred-friends or join an advanced group lesson.

Ace eat serve? Doing the monet exhibit at 12:30 then meeting a wake friend at 6 for dinner but it’s actually doable, and the wife and I like to play ping pong. What time?

Looks like it’s a half mile from my hotel. I’m right next to the barcade.
Lol, Idk. We're heading to RiNo in a few minutes for lunch. Probably day drinking at odells and around. Ping pong doesn't open until 4:00, I think

buy her a spa day on 2 days instead of lift tickets; will cost about the same and you'll get a couple of days for yourself.

Yup. Exactly the right course of action.

No way in hell am I going to waste my trip on greens and blues. I like to go fast.

i was astounded at how quickly my boys picked it up last week. By the end of the week, they really weren't slowing me down at all, and I have been skiing for 40 years. I missed out on bowl skiing, etc, but that was a small price to pay to see them having that much fun. Also it's a lot of fun to follow them down the hill and hockey stop and throw snow all over them.

i was astounded at how quickly my boys picked it up last week. By the end of the week, they really weren't slowing me down at all, and I have been skiing for 40 years. I missed out on bowl skiing, etc, but that was a small price to pay to see them having that much fun. Also it's a lot of fun to follow them down the hill and hockey stop and throw snow all over them.

That sounds awesome, and very rewarding. Adults, by and large, are so much more timid when it comes to getting downhill and building speed than kids. Which actually makes skiing much more challenging and tiring. My wife could barely walk after skiing greens and a few blues at Park City last year she was so sore (insert, nothing I could do to her in the bedroom joke), and she's in far better shape than me.

That sounds awesome, and very rewarding. Adults, by and large, are so much more timid when it comes to getting downhill and building speed than kids. Which actually makes skiing much more challenging and tiring. My wife could barely walk after skiing greens and a few blues at Park City last year she was so sore (insert, nothing I could do to her in the bedroom joke), and she's in far better shape than me.

Skiing uses muscles that rarely are worked in most gym routines. How many exercises do you have in your regular routine where you turn your lower body while keeping your upper body still? Unless you work out for skiing, probably not many.

Lessons are the way to go for large differences in skiing ability. Out in big powder country, advanced lessons are available. They are also a good way to find an equal ability partner for skiing for a day or two.

One time in a group lesson at Alta, we got a quick sort on eastern and western skiers. The instructor led us through a narrow passage turn where the snow was hard packed to near ice. All the western powder skiers fell. The two easterners were standing. The icy hard pack was pretty typical of stuff found on eastern U.S. ski slopes.

Skiing uses muscles that rarely are worked in most gym routines. How many exercises do you have in your regular routine where you turn your lower body while keeping your upper body still? Unless you work out for skiing, probably not many.

Lessons are the way to go for large differences in skiing ability. Out in big powder country, advanced lessons are available. They are also a good way to find an equal ability partner for skiing for a day or two.

One time in a group lesson at Alta, we got a quick sort on eastern and western skiers. The instructor led us through a narrow passage turn where the snow was hard packed to near ice. All the western powder skiers fell. The two easterners were standing. The icy hard pack was pretty typical of stuff found on eastern U.S. ski slopes.

Learning to ski on ice in Boone has been immensely helpful to me in many situations out west.

Headed to Steamboat tomorrow (I’m loving the direct flight from ATL to Hayden). Never been before - any recommendations on terrain to check out, restaurants or apres spots?

Headed to Steamboat tomorrow (I’m loving the direct flight from ATL to Hayden). Never been before - any recommendations on terrain to check out, restaurants or apres spots?

Everything about Steamboat is excellent. Check out the chutes if you want some challenging terrain.

Not skiing related but in the area - any recommendations on things to do in SLC I’ll have 2.5 days to myself out there. No car. Any restaurants or breweries that are can’t miss?

Heading to Telluride on Saturday morning. Haven't been in 10-15 years. Any good restaurant recs or non-skiing tips? I remember the gondola system being very convenient to get around from the mountain village to town.

Heading to Telluride on Saturday morning. Haven't been in 10-15 years. Any good restaurant recs or non-skiing tips? I remember the gondola system being very convenient to get around from the mountain village to town.

When we visit Telluride we like:

-Siam for Thai
-Brown Dog Pizza
-Smuggler's Brewpub
-Telluride Bud Company

Just got back from Vail. Perfect weather and great snow. Visit the 10th Mountain whiskey bar. Also, the truffle fries at Larkspur at base of chair 6 are amazing. Hat tip to Elways steakhouse as well.

Was able to get 2 days in Breck last week. Went up to do college tours with my daughter. Great weather. Way too many people in Breckenridge.

Man, Telluride is such an awesome place. They could have used a little more snow, but got ~5 inches up top which was nice. Great mix of terrain, including beginner/intermediate trails way high up on the mountain to allow novices to still get the amazing views (best in CO, in my opinion). Wife got to make her first fresh tracks, even on greens/blues. Solid hike-to terrain that I enjoyed. Skipped the 58 degree pitch trail this time, though (supposedly steepest in U.S.).

Tons of ski-in-ski-out lodging options in the mountain village (where we stayed) or town. Zero need for car with a great dial-a-ride app as well as gondolas (even for non-skiers) that connect the town, village, and other areas. Smuggler's Brewpub was a great rec, Tomboy Tavern in the mountain village is very solid for apres and dinner, Allred's up high on the mountain was incredible (Bison ribeye, one of the best wine lists I've seen). If CLT ever gets a direct flight again (they briefly had one), I'll go a lot.

Man, Telluride is such an awesome place. They could have used a little more snow, but got ~5 inches up top which was nice. Great mix of terrain, including beginner/intermediate trails way high up on the mountain to allow novices to still get the amazing views (best in CO, in my opinion). Wife got to make her first fresh tracks, even on greens/blues. Solid hike-to terrain that I enjoyed. Skipped the 58 degree pitch trail this time, though (supposedly steepest in U.S.).

Tons of ski-in-ski-out lodging options in the mountain village (where we stayed) or town. Zero need for car with a great dial-a-ride app as well as gondolas (even for non-skiers) that connect the town, village, and other areas. Smuggler's Brewpub was a great rec, Tomboy Tavern in the mountain village is very solid for apres and dinner, Allred's up high on the mountain was incredible (Bison ribeye, one of the best wine lists I've seen). If CLT ever gets a direct flight again (they briefly had one), I'll go a lot.

It's even better in the summer. My favorite place.

So - just booked a brief trip for myself and 2 of my boys for early march. One of them has been accepted to Denver and Boulder for next fall, so we're going to tour campuses one day and ski two others. We're going to stay in Dillon/Silverthorne; thinking we'll hit Keystone for convenience. $188 each r/t from Charlotte nonstop on American!!! Pretty glad to be able to bump this thread ahead of the NC skiing one.

So - just booked a brief trip for myself and 2 of my boys for early march. One of them has been accepted to Denver and Boulder for next fall, so we're going to tour campuses one day and ski two others. We're going to stay in Dillon/Silverthorne; thinking we'll hit Keystone for convenience. $188 each r/t from Charlotte nonstop on American!!! Pretty glad to be able to bump this thread ahead of the NC skiing one.

You probably know this, but it's very different this year out here. Most resorts require advanced reservations and aren't accepting walk up ticket sales/reservations so you've got to have everything lined up in advance of your trip. Good luck and have a great visit!

Back