• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Utah and Colorado Skiing

Anyone been to Telluride this season? Heading there in 3 wks...

Anyone been to Telluride this season? Heading there in 3 wks...

Not this season, but I was an ski instructor there between college and law school. Its been a decent season snow wise, if you get fresh stuff while you are there head out to Revelation bowl. If its blue sky days, try hiking to Black Iron Bowl and do a little Prospect. Most of the tourists tend to skip the front side stuff off of Lift 9, but its worth doing, Log Pile was one of my favorites over there.

For food, Oak Fat Alley BBQ had Schlitz for a dollar and solid BBQ. The place used to be (maybe still is) owned by a surly old Bama fan, the guy wouldn't give you time of day, but would brighten up as soon as you mention the Tide. If you want something a little more fancy, The New Sheridan has one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. For beers, Last Dollar and Brown Dog will keep you entertained.

Enjoy man, the place truly is heaven on earth.

Any suggestions or tips on A-basin for a trip mid-May? Good place? Not many options for that time of year. Seems Snowbird is also a possibility but I have already been there many times (and prefer Alta, nextdoor, anyway).

Any suggestions or tips on A-basin for a trip mid-May? Good place? Not many options for that time of year. Seems Snowbird is also a possibility but I have already been there many times (and prefer Alta, nextdoor, anyway).

Tips in what regard?

Corrected dates are April 15 - 19. Expect good snow that time of year? Recommend any particular place to stay (taking my HS senior for a father/daughter trip). Good food options? Rent a car in Denver or are the good shuttle options and public transportation? Any other places I should consider for mid-April trip for intermediate and expert runs? Thanks for any input

Corrected dates are April 15 - 19. Expect good snow that time of year? Recommend any particular place to stay (taking my HS senior for a father/daughter trip). Good food options? Rent a car in Denver or are the good shuttle options and public transportation? Any other places I should consider for mid-April trip for intermediate and expert runs? Thanks for any input

A-Basin is probably the best option for mid April. Plan on renting a car at DIA and staying in Dillon.

ETA: A-Basin has seen snow in April the last couple of years; in 2018 they got 10" over April 13-15. Could be awesome powder days or lots of packed powder, but either way should make for a great weekend of skiing.

Last edited:
A-Basin is probably the best option for mid April. Plan on renting a car at DIA and staying in Dillon.

ETA: A-Basin has seen snow in April the last couple of years; in 2018 they got 10" over April 13-15. Could be awesome powder days or lots of packed powder, but either way should make for a great weekend of skiing.

Thanks!

Yeah, A-Basin is fantastic in April. Good chance of a bluebird day; plenty of bikini skiing.

I have 2 days to ski at the end of this month near Denver. What's my best bet in the Summit County area, or should I drive farther to another place? I'm up for anything.

Anyone been to Snowbasin in Utah? Tips, recs, places to eat?

Fun place to ski. Not crowded because no lodging. I mainly would ski off of Strawberry Gondola and John Paul Express.

Both times I have been we had a great kitchen so we did a lot of cooking and just hanging out at night. Downtown Ogden has a cool vibe with plenty of good eats.

They recently went with Epic pass.

I have 2 days to ski at the end of this month near Denver. What's my best bet in the Summit County area, or should I drive farther to another place? I'm up for anything.

Kind of depends what you're looking for...Breckenridge probably gives you the best combo of mountain quality / nightlife in Summit County. A-Basin is a skier's mountain - no frills amenities, but great terrain; you'll have to stay off the mountain though.

Going over Vail Pass is always a crapshoot - weather can close the pass down. If you're willing to drive a bit and conditions are right, Steamboat is only 3 hours from Denver.

Man I haven’t been to steamboat since 1986 or so. That’s a great idea.

When I have these two day options around a work trip, I usually end up at copper or a-basin.

Not CO or UT.

Headed to Heavenly today. Never been to Tahoe. Can't wait.

Tips/Suggestions?

Looks like I picked a great weekend to go skiing; 4" and counting at Winter Park today with more expected throughout the weekend!

Last edited:
Yeah Colorado appears to be getting dumped on. Heading to Aspen next Thursday. 7 inches so far and calling for up to 40 on the mountain by Tuesday. On MLK weekend at Park City we had 27 inches the 48 hrs before we arrived and then 16 while we were there. Quite the season!

I hit a-basin yesterday and keystone today. Lots of fresh powder this morning and looking forward to more of the same tomorrow. Since I have to catch a plane, I’m going to Loveland tomorrow - they were shut down today due to a power issue so there should be a ton of untracked powder tomorrow.

Just finished three days at Vale. Bluebird day Wednesday, good day Thursday, yesterday tons of heavy snow and shit visibility. It was not powder, more like skiing in wet cement sometimes. Probably should have traded in my demos for a wider pair but didn't want to trek back to the shop.

Back