• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perfect Albums

to me, tten is clearly not a perfect album bc some of the second half is weak, especially deep with super corny lyrics (but not as corny as the album cover). not perfect.

Release is the best song on the album and more than carries the second side regardless of Deep.

Born in the USA is pretty much the perfect no-skip album. I'm Going Down and Darlington County are probably the two least-great songs on the album and would carry most other albums.

The back side of Ten has Porch and Release, if not for songs like Black and Jeremy on the front those would be classics. Garden is great too. Deep actually sounds good regardless of the lyrics, is the most "grunge" song on the album...that is it closer to a Alice in Chains or a Sound Garden song than PJ. There are no skippers on Ten.

Release is such an amazing song to kick-off a show. And Porch is always awesome live. Usually they do it before one of the encore breaks.

I'll offer another 90's indie gem, Belle and Sebastian's Tiger Milk is fairly close to perfect from the first to last note. Here is the opening track:

i will grant that the once <> release opening/closing track combo is up there for me among the best. let it bleed, sgt peppers, led zep 4, pinkerton are others that come to mind for me

Sun Kil Moon Ghosts of the Great Highway is another playthrough for me

now that we're just naming albums we like Music From Big Pink is a good one start to finish

I feel a lot of first albums can come close for some bands and in some cases represent their best work.

REM - Chronic Town
Hootie - Cracked Rear View
Wallflowers - Bringing Down the House
Violent Femmes (self titled)
Counting Crows - August and Everything After
Killers - Hot Fuss

are some examples
others that I love to listen to all the way thru
Toad the Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea
The The - Soul Mining
Midnight Oil - Blue Sky Mining
Eagles - Hotel California
Roxy Music - Avalon
Dire Straits - both the Self titled and Making Movies
Barenaked Ladies - Gordon
World Party - Bang
Elliott Smith - Either/Or

I could go on for a bit

Labcabincalifornia
Days
The Allman Brothers Band
Gimme Fiction
Lost in the Dream
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?

perfect is weird. I think I get it to mean no filler tracks, good pacing, and of course good songwriting/execution. I like some good production in there, whether it is slick like Steely Dan Aja or properly captured raw energy like Never mind the bullocks. both deserve mention

some others

The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel
The Stooges - s/t and Fun House
The Replacements - Let It Be and Tim
The Locust - Plague Soundscapes

I'll offer another 90's indie gem, Belle and Sebastian's Tiger Milk is fairly close to perfect from the first to last note. Here is the opening track:

who needs boys when there's lisa around?

some others

The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel
The Stooges - s/t and Fun House
The Replacements - Let It Be and Tim
The Locust - Plague Soundscapes

This is a good list. Have you read “our band could be your life”? The minute men chapter is great. The whole book is excellent.

This is a good list. Have you read “our band could be your life”? The minute men chapter is great. The whole book is excellent.

That was my bible in HS.

The Butthole Surfers chapter is transcendent

The back side of Ten has Porch and Release, if not for songs like Black and Jeremy on the front those would be classics. Garden is great too. Deep actually sounds good regardless of the lyrics, is the most "grunge" song on the album...that is it closer to a Alice in Chains or a Sound Garden song than PJ. There are no skippers on Ten.

My man!

The great thing about this thread is that there are no posers.

Just floating, disembodied ankles getting a lap dance. Oops. Wrong thread.

Back