• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Perfect Albums

man the difference between Ten's A-side and a B-side is incredible

man the difference between Ten's A-side and a B-side is incredible

For real

Kinda like U2’s Joshua Tree. Side A has maybe the best 3-song opening of any album I’ve heard in my life and side B has Trip Through Your Wires and Mothers of the Disappeared, the first of which keeps it from being a play through for me.

For real

Kinda like U2’s Joshua Tree. Side A has maybe the best 3-song opening of any album I’ve heard in my life and side B has Trip Through Your Wires and Mothers of the Disappeared, the first of which keeps it from being a play through for me.

Red Hill Mining Town.

Smog’s “A River Ain’t too much to love” is a perfect album.

Bizarre Ride 2 the Pharcyde is pretty damn close.

Smog’s “A River Ain’t too much to love” is a perfect album.

The only imperfection I can find is one line in the song The Well, where Bill says:

"Staring into the black, black, black
Well they say black is all colors at once
So I gave it my red rage, my yellow streak
The greenest parts of me and my blues"

But black is the absence of color and white is "all colors at once" so the line breaks down...the frustrating thing is the line would work (and maybe work better) if he said "Well they say black is the absence of all colors."

Anyway, that's it...the album is otherwise perfect.

Red Hill Mining Town.

I agree that Red Hill is in a lesser league than the opening 3, but that could be said about a lot of really good songs. I personally like and listen to Red Hill when I listen to Joshua Tree.

U2 was my favorite band growing up, and probably was for most of my life, but, even as a fanboi, I don't think they have a playthrough album. They have albums that, despite being imperfect, I would rank over other perfect albums, but they don't have one where I listen to every song. War is my favorite U2 album, but even War has Red Light.

The only imperfection I can find is one line in the song The Well, where Bill says:

"Staring into the black, black, black
Well they say black is all colors at once
So I gave it my red rage, my yellow streak
The greenest parts of me and my blues"

But black is the absence of color and white is "all colors at once" so the line breaks down...the frustrating thing is the line would work (and maybe work better) if he said "Well they say black is the absence of all colors."

Anyway, that's it...the album is otherwise perfect.

Pigment or light?

Pigment or light?

Fuck. You’re probably right. He’s talking about pigment. For like 15 years I’ve been thinking about “how could bill get that so wrong?” I’ve taken way more physics classes than art.

Ok so, the album is perfect.

I agree that Red Hill is in a lesser league than the opening 3, but that could be said about a lot of really good songs. I personally like and listen to Red Hill when I listen to Joshua Tree.

U2 was my favorite band growing up, and probably was for most of my life, but, even as a fanboi, I don't think they have a playthrough album. They have albums that, despite being imperfect, I would rank over other perfect albums, but they don't have one where I listen to every song. War is my favorite U2 album, but even War has Red Light.

I didn't actually articulate when I posted the song, but Red Hill is, IMO, right up there with the top songs on the album. It's probably my favorite on there. Such a great tune seems out of place in the sequence of the album, but sequencing an album is one of the toughest things to do, even if you have a collection of great songs. You can either frontload it with your best tracks or spread them out and finish with chill songs. I probably would've gone Streets, WOWY, RHMT, One Tree Hill, and In God's Country for side one, and the rest on side two, but that's just me.

I'm partial to Unforgettable Fire myself. Not the most perfect songs with a lot of atmospheric stuff on there, but it's pretty perfect to me except for Pride, which feels out of place, too anthemic or something.

I have got a podcast that would be perfect for you two, it’s called U Talking U2 To Me?

Mine are probably wayyyy too mainstream and POP, and more than likely not thought of as the best by these bands by most, but if we're going by "no skipped songs" and "every song is great in my mind", then these are some of my picks, just scanning through my library.

Avett Brothers - The Carpenter
Ben Folds Five - Forever And Ever Amen
Blue October - Foiled
Chromeo - White Women
Citizen Cope - The Clarence Greenwood Recordings
Collective Soul - Collective Soul
Dispatch - Bang Bang
Ed Sheeran - x
Eve 6 - Eve 6
The Killers - Hot Fuss
Michael Jackson - Bad
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
The Neighbourhood - I Love You.
Neon Trees - Habits
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Plain White T's - All That We Needed
Plain White T's - Every Second Counts
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
The Roots - Phrenology
Three Days Grace - Three Days Grace
Walk The Moon - Walk The Moon
Walk The Moon - What If Nothing

if "no skips" is the criteria, Apologies to the Queen Mary is on the list

Yeah, I can definitely do Joshua Tree with no skips.

I have got a podcast that would be perfect for you two, it’s called U Talking U2 To Me?

I know some serious U2 fanboys. Like, big time. I'm not anywhere close to them, but U2 is pretty much unavoidable if you were born in the late 60s/early 70s and had them inform so much of the music of your youth.

Yeah, I can definitely do Joshua Tree with no skips.

Bullet The Blue Sky is the only one that feels out of place to me. Have to be in the mood for it. But otherwise agree. Bullet and Still Haven't Found might be the ones I am most likely to skip. But I'm like that with Pride on Unforgettable Fire too so maybe I'm just weird.

Back