• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Job offers

22Deac

Reaction score
I've been at my current employer basically since the start of my career so I have little experience with negotiating a job offer. Are there any specific do's and don'ts when it comes to this process? I have a bit of leverage as the employer sought me out.

Also my wife is expecting our second child during the window I would likely have to carry COBRA insurance, any concerns I should have when it come to this type of insurance?

Last edited:
I've been at my current employer basically since the start of my career so I have little experience wth negotiating a job offer. Are there any specific do's and don'ts when it comes to this process? I have a bit of leverage as the employer seeked me out.

Also my wife is expecting our second child during the window I would likely have to carry COBRA insurance, any concerns I should have when it come to this type of insurance?

*sought

Be sure to go at them with good grammar and spelling, i.e., use actual words. You'll display professionalism and garner respect.

I've been at my current employer basically since the start of my career so I have little experience with negotiating a job offer. Are there any specific do's and don'ts when it comes to this process? I have a bit of leverage as the employer sought me out.

All of my job changes provided medical coverage from day 1, so COBRA wasn't an issue. I would see what they offer from a total compensation perspective - sometimes a salary increase becomes menial if the benefit package isn't as good.

COBRA is uber expensive. Best to avoid or negotiate into compensation.

DO ask for more money

Do you need cobra? Insurance now has to take pre existing conditions

Most places would only make you wait a month for coverage at most. If you need cobra get a cash coverage bonus

DO ask for more money

Do you need cobra? Insurance now has to take pre existing conditions

There is a very high likelihood that my wife will give birth during the 30 day period I'm without insurance so I will need coverage during that time. Hoping I can negotiate a later start date so I can use my current health insurance to cover the birth cost. This may save us both money.

Also will my current plan be on the hook for any claims that happen while the coverage is in place? Meaning if I leave the job after the baby is born but don't get all the hospital bills until afterwards. They will still have to pay correct?

I actually was in this exact same situation that you were 12 years ago. A couple of things that you can consider is that you can split out your COBRA coverage to just cover your wife so you don't have to pay it for yourself and/or any kids that you have if you dont use insurance in this period. You can also take advantage of the 60 or 90 days look back on coverage for you so if you don't actually use it you still get the benefit of being covered without paying for it.

Last edited:
If you are only without insurance for 30 days ask them to split out any group coverage into individual cobra plans. You don't have to pay for 60 or 90 days.

There is a very high likelihood that my wife will give birth during the 30 day period I'm without insurance so I will need coverage during that time. Hoping I can negotiate a later start date so I can use my current health insurance to cover the birth cost. This may save us both money.

Also will my current plan be on the hook for any claims that happen while the coverage is in place? Meaning if I leave the job after the baby is born but don't get all the hospital bills until afterwards. They will still have to pay correct?

Payment is based on date of service, so all bills with dates of service prior to your ending date of coverage will be paid by your current plan.

Pretty sure your coverage runs throughout your final month. It doesn't end the day your employment ends.

Cobra-Commander-gi-joe-3981525-1024-768.jpg

I have left a place where my insurance ended on my last day (not last day of the month). I think it is a "your mileage may vary" type of thing.

I have left a place where my insurance ended on my last day (not last day of the month). I think it is a "your mileage may vary" type of thing.

It depends on how the company has the plan structured with the insurance company. Most go through the end of the month that you terminate your employment, but many self-insured plans will have coverage end on your last day of employment. Be sure to look in your employee handbook or benefits materials to confirm how your plan works.

Back