• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread -Tom Brady beats the NFL

Have any of the super mortgaged draft picks ever worked out?

Ricky Williams was a bad decision, RGiii was a bad decision, Julio Jones is good but not sure you pull that trade again

If I am the Titans, I give Mettenberg (would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick if not for injury and off field after the injury stuff) a year as starter and draft for other need. I would not take Famous J ever. He is going to get on the purple drank real soon.

Have any of the super mortgaged draft picks ever worked out?

Ricky Williams was a bad decision, RGiii was a bad decision, Julio Jones is good but not sure you pull that trade again

AP120516055916_1__xoq3iy30_zphzyd6y.jpg

Yeah Tampa would be dumb to accept anything less than 3 first rounders if Philly wants Mariota. Probably even need some more picks because Philly would actually have a good record those years and the picks likely wouldn't be in the top 15 any of those years.

The thing is the Bucs don't need a ton of players. They need a franchise QB. Most years they could get one with the #1 pick. This year I doubt they can.

Yeah that's probably true, but if you don't think Mariota or Winston is that franchise QB and someone else thinks they are and is willing to pay handsomely for it, you might as well take the deal

No chance I'd draft Jameis with a top 2 pick.

Me either. Not worth the risk.
Johnny Football has done some stupid stuff, but it doesn't compare to Jameis.
And just wait until he's not in the protective environment of FSU

Jameis in Tampa is trouble waiting to happen.

Really? To me, Manziel seems much more the risk on and off the field. With Jameis, the rape charge was mishandled by the cops but didn't sound like a serious charge from what I read. The cafeteria incident was immature but harmless. The jersey stuff is an NCAA violation that is becoming more frequent and doesn't translate to him being an NFL problem. The crab legs stealing is the most disturbing thing in terms of a character issue. And you don't hear anything bad about his work ethic, his teammates respond well to him on the field and appear to look up to him, he's in a pro style offense, and he's led a handful of late comebacks.

The off-field things that concern me about Manziel is the excessive clubbing/partying, the pic with the rolled up dollar bill, the Manning Academy affair, the $$ gesture and the statement last year that he was going to set the league on fire. On the field and in the locker room, Manziel is too small, holds onto the ball way too long, doesn't work through his progressions with any competency and has the rep for not working hard. While I'm concerned that Winston may not get it and is a risk, it's already looking like Manziel is a complete bust and really doesn't get it. Both of them appear to be extremely immature off the field, but the difference between the 2 is Winston's game is more mature, he appears to work hard and be a good teammate.

I would love that as well. It would mean an upgrade at our secondary coach position.

Agree with Boston as to Winston being top 2 with Mariotta. Both Tennessee and Tampa need QBs, and they're not going to pass up either guy. And I'm still not completely sold on Mariotta transitioning to the NFL game because he's just not used to fitting the ball into tight windows, even though he's way more mature than Winston off the field. I can see Lovie taking Winston #1. It'll be interesting to see what the Jets, Bills, Browns, Texans and Bears do at the QB position. One of the above will get a mildly competent Hoyer, prolly Houston or Buffalo, although Buffalo's GM was just quoted as saying that Manuel's problem was coaching, not Manuel. No idea what the others will do, and to make it worse, Orton has retired. The only 2 other college kids who may fit the bill are Hundley and Petty. Hundley looks like a late 1st to 2nd rounder and Petty a late 2nd to 3rd rounder.

Jameis Winston strikes me as too stupid and lacking in self-awareness to be a franchise QB. Cam Newton showed poor judgment in college, but he never screamed "bust" quite like Jameis. I'll go on record that he will be a marginally better Vince Young.

Tuffalo, I've been waiting for an NFL team to get 3 mobile QBs and run something like the Oregon offense. Would be fun to watch, but no team has taken that leap of faith except Philly to a lesser extent. And I still don't think Kelly is happy with his QB options at present. Do you think Chip would be interested in Hundley at #20, even though he's not overly fast?

And while I have you here, what the heck is Buffalo going to do at QB? Sounds like your GM is willing to go with Manuel, which sounds crazy to me. I'm guessing Hoyer is only going to go to a team that is willing to try him as a starter because he doesn't want to be the mentor to a young prodigy again. Not sure what the other options are. Maybe take Fitz back if Houston signs Hoyer?

Jameis Winston strikes me as too stupid and lacking in self-awareness to be a franchise QB. Cam Newton showed poor judgment in college, but he never screamed "bust" quite like Jameis. I'll go on record that he will be a marginally better Vince Young.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's as good as Cam as a pro. Or if he became the 2nd coming of VY. He's got quite the high ceiling and low floor.

Back