• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread -Tom Brady beats the NFL

Bowles would be the 1st assistant I'd interview if I were an owner. Dude has done great things with that defense the last couple of years.

Bowles set for Falcons interview #2 this week.

I really wanted Rex, but looks like this is probably our guy. I would also still take Del Rio, looks like he is going to the Raiders though.

Bowles set for Falcons interview #2 this week.

I really wanted Rex, but looks like this is probably our guy. I would also still take Del Rio, looks like he is going to the Raiders though.

You don't want Del Rio. You want Bowles. And I'd take Bowles over Rex too.

Yeah, not thrilled by ATL getting Bowles. Think he'd be a great fit there

Yeah, not thrilled by ATL getting Bowles. Think he'd be a great fit there

Atlanta is by far the best opening. Injuries have undone them the last couple of years. That and a lousy defense. I don't know who was more to blame for the thin roster, especially on D, as to whether it was Smith or Dimitroff. But bring in some help through FA and the draft, and they're immediately competitive in that division.

Dmitroff is not very good, but it's a lot easier to fix a D than an O. As Bowles -- and guys like Marinelli -- showed this year, you can piece together a decent-enough defense with scheme

Atlanta is by far the best opening. Injuries have undone them the last couple of years. That and a lousy defense. I don't know who was more to blame for the thin roster, especially on D, as to whether it was Smith or Dimitroff. But bring in some help through FA and the draft, and they're immediately competitive in that division.

Dimitroff did us no favors. 2 years ago we had a bottom 10 pass rush with Abraham getting 11 sacks a year. We let him go and did nothing in two subsequent seasons to replace him or otherwise bolster the pass rush. Except sign Osi, who has been just okay.

The front office is a mess right now. They have stripped dimitroff of all of his duties, and given them to Scott Pioli, the guy who drafted Tyson Jackson at like #5 overall, is now going to run our draft.

Bart Scott had me really pumped up with this article on Rex being a great fit in ATL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-fal...t-scott-let-rex-ryan-run-the-show-for-falcons

Basically our offense is going to be a top 10 offense no matter who you bring in. Rex would have gotten the D to at least middle of the pack.

The only thing that jeebs me out about Bowles is that it has been reported that he wants current AZ QB coach Freddie Kitchens to be his OC.

The only thing that jeebs me out about Bowles is that it has been reported that he wants current AZ QB coach Freddie Kitchens to be his OC.

I don't think that's necessarily a terrible thing. Dude couldn't have had a better mentor than Arians the past few years.

Certainly wasn't the coaching staff's fault 'zona's O wasn't great

Side note: why are the Jets so dead set on hiring a defensive coach again? I thought they might try and hire an offensive guy since they haven't tried that in 20 years (granted, probably still washing off the stench of Kotite) and they need tons o' help on that side of the ball. STAY AWAY FROM MCDERMOTT PUNKS!

Also kinda weird Rex went to basically an identical situation to the one he was in before - great defense, no O. But I suppose money talks

Dimitroff did us no favors. 2 years ago we had a bottom 10 pass rush with Abraham getting 11 sacks a year. We let him go and did nothing in two subsequent seasons to replace him or otherwise bolster the pass rush. Except sign Osi, who has been just okay.

The front office is a mess right now. They have stripped dimitroff of all of his duties, and given them to Scott Pioli, the guy who drafted Tyson Jackson at like #5 overall, is now going to run our draft.

Bart Scott had me really pumped up with this article on Rex being a great fit in ATL.

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-fal...t-scott-let-rex-ryan-run-the-show-for-falcons

Basically our offense is going to be a top 10 offense no matter who you bring in. Rex would have gotten the D to at least middle of the pack.

The trouble with your defense is a general lack of talent and no pass rush. Not sure that Rex would have helped there. It's in the Ryan DNA to blitz early and often, and if you don't have the talent to get to the QB, you're going to be giving up a lot of big plays. Rex with Buffalo's D could be fun to watch, less likely with Atlanta's. And while I don't know anything about Kitchens, look at it this way - the last 2 years he and Arians have gotten Carson Palmer to play the best he's played since before his injury against Pittsburgh in the playoffs umpteen years ago.

As for your FO, why hasn't Blanks just fired Dimitroff? And I'm not sure about Pioli. He was with the old Browns with Belichick and then the Pats before going to KC. KC does have some talent from when he was there, though I wouldn't say he left them with a lot of depth. Good luck with that, but I think Bowles is the closest thing out there this year to the next really good coach. And you have a top 10 pick to spend on a D-lineman.

Back