• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread -Tom Brady beats the NFL

No, they don't. Our offense was T10 in almost every category except rushing, and we'd be probably 5 spots higher there if we simply cut Jax and went with Freeman, Quizz and Smith.

We really need a new GM, but absent that, we need someone who can turn this defense into at least a middle of the pack unit. We've basically had to beat everyone 35-28 this year. Ryan is almost 30, he can more or less run the O himself.

My list for a Falcons HC is

Rex or bust

then Todd Bowles

and thats kinda it. Maybe the dude from Stanford.

Your "T10" offense managed to score 3 points in what amounted to a home (indoor) playoff game against a patchwork defense. That is on the HC, OC, and QB. If you are trusting Matt Ryan to run an NFL offense himself, then enjoy your 3 points.

If I were a Falcons fan, Todd Bowles would be the list. I've heard Rex likes to have some say on personnel and doesn't have a particularly good eye for college talent. He's a great DC if he has the talent to get after the QB. Bowles has done a great job with the Zona D this year after losing some good players. I'd rather take a chance on Bowles as the next big thing. And I agree with your take that you should aim for a defensive minded guy, and Ryan will be fine with their O as long as he doesn't lose 2 LTs and 2 Cs again.

Your "T10" offense managed to score 3 points in what amounted to a home (indoor) playoff game against a patchwork defense. That is on the HC, OC, and QB. If you are trusting Matt Ryan to run an NFL offense himself, then enjoy your 3 points.

This just in: few QBs look good when throwing from their backs. Ryan, Rivers, Eli, Flacco, Rapistberger, Cam, Brees, Stafford and even St. Peyton and St. Brady have all had lousy games this year when they had no protection. Ryan is a legit franchise QB when he has the protection. And I know 17-18 other NFL teams who would love to have Ryan.

And yet my Dolphins still have Joe Phillbin as their coach.

Yep, I'm with you on this. Can't believe that my Dolphins held on to Mr Average. I think that owner Stephen Ross really wanted to make a play for Harbaugh but being a Michigan alum(and big, big donor) he let UM have him.

With that said, I'm surprised that the Bears only gave Trestman two seasons.

In their defense, the Panthers might have the best defense ever put together

It may be a Wakecentric answer but after paying Tyson Clabo big bucks they cut him and other offensive linemen taking a good team and leaving Ryan as a target for many hits and this has resulted in the last two terrible years.

In their defense, the Panthers might have the best defense ever put together

especially with OUR BOI GLANTON bolstering the already greatest linebacker tandem ever.

Did you watch the game? Falcons O-line featured 3 undrafted FAs and a rookie LT and a veteran guard playing on one leg. Ryan is a fine QB, he's good enough to win plenty of games.

Falcons need an offense-minded corch.

Gotta finish this. If you're gonna keep Julio, you need an offensive guru. If you're going to spend money elsewhere, then I want Todd Bowles or Rexy or Quinn.

Did you watch the game? Falcons O-line featured 3 undrafted FAs and a rookie LT and a veteran guard playing on one leg. Ryan is a fine QB, he's good enough to win plenty of games.

Sounds a lot like our OL this year.

34-3

Matt Ryan is a chump, who will never win anything.

Hey look, wrong uninformed guy is wrong and uninformed again. The Falcons are a T10 offense and a T5 passing offense. Ryan is in the T10 in basically every passing category. There are maybe 2 receivers in the league better than Julio. Roddy is past his prime but would be a WR1 on a dozen NFL teams. Yesterday aside, the offense isn't the problem. The defense finished dead fucking last in almost every category. If we have even a middle of the pack defense (like in 2012) we have 10-13 wins and aren't dealing with corndoggs like the Panthers in Week 17.

This just in: few QBs look good when throwing from their backs. Ryan, Rivers, Eli, Flacco, Rapistberger, Cam, Brees, Stafford and even St. Peyton and St. Brady have all had lousy games this year when they had no protection. Ryan is a legit franchise QB when he has the protection. And I know 17-18 other NFL teams who would love to have Ryan.

17-18? Try 22-24. There are probably less than 10 teams that have a more talented QB than Ryan, and 3 of those: Brady, Manning and Brees are on the wrong side of 35.

Sounds a lot like our OL this year.

34-3

Matt Ryan is a chump, who will never win anything.

And the Carolina D is a helluva lot better than the Falcons. Plus you've got that kid at Center who was a pro bowler this season.

Yet you only mustered a shitty ass record too. Not sure if Cam's gonna win anything either except a couple of Division titles.

In a deal turned into NFL today, Tom Brady restructured his contract to give NE $24 million more in cash to spend this winter, per sources.
Under the new deal, Brady changed the $24 million in “skill” guarantee to only “injury” guarantee, meaning that Brady now would get the guaranteed money only if he were injured. Brady also now can be released from the Patriots without any liability, but he then would become an unrestricted free agent, free to command the type of guaranteed money he has agreed to surrender. This frees up cash for the Patriots to use on other players. New England needs the cash to help re-sign some of its own free agents such as Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Nate Solder and Shane Vereen, amongst others.

Would take Ryan, yay or nay list:

Arizona Cardinals - Yes
Atlanta Falcons - Obvi
Baltimore Ravens - No
Buffalo Bills - yes
Carolina Panthers - No
Chicago Bears - Yes
Cincinnati Bengals - Yes
Cleveland Browns - Yes
Dallas Cowboys - No but damn I'd think about it.
Denver Broncos - No
Detroit Lions - No
Green Bay Packers - No
Houston Texans - Yes
Indianapolis Colts - No
Jacksonville Jaguars - Yes
Kansas City Chiefs - Yes
Miami Dolphins - Maybe
Minnesota Vikings - No
New England Patriots - No
New Orleans Saints - No
New York Giants - No
New York Jets - Yes
Oakland Raiders - Yes
Philadelphia Eagles - Yes
Pittsburgh Steelers - No
Saint Louis Rams - Yes
San Diego Chargers - No
San Francisco 49ers - Maybe
Seattle Seahawks - No
Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Yes
Tennessee Titans - Yes
Washington Redskins - Yes

I count 14 teams that would say no, but I'd think Dallas would think about it and the maybes on this list prob lean yes.

As a Falcons fan, if there was any chance a win would have meant Smith stayed, I'll take the loss. Just going to get crushed in the playoffs anyway with that defense.

But I do think you play to your strengths. The Falcons have elite skill on offense so I'd like to see them go for an elite offensive mind at head coach. Pick up a new defensive coordinator, focus on defense in the draft and in free agency, but keep the focus on the offense.

If you go with a defensive coach you might end up being mediocre on both sides of the ball for 2+ years, and by then a lot of the offensive talent will have bolted.

In a deal turned into NFL today, Tom Brady restructured his contract to give NE $24 million more in cash to spend this winter, per sources.
Under the new deal, Brady changed the $24 million in “skill” guarantee to only “injury” guarantee, meaning that Brady now would get the guaranteed money only if he were injured. Brady also now can be released from the Patriots without any liability, but he then would become an unrestricted free agent, free to command the type of guaranteed money he has agreed to surrender. This frees up cash for the Patriots to use on other players. New England needs the cash to help re-sign some of its own free agents such as Darrelle Revis, Devin McCourty, Nate Solder and Shane Vereen, amongst others.

Pays to have the highest paid model as your wife for more than the obvious reasons.

17-18? Try 22-24. There are probably less than 10 teams that have a more talented QB than Ryan, and 3 of those: Brady, Manning and Brees are on the wrong side of 35.

I'm saying there are 14-15 franchise QBs, and you can split hairs all day arguing who is better than who and how you should weigh age and other things. And Ryan is certainly 1 of those 14-15 QBs. But opposing fans make fun of Ryan all the time. Flacco gets the same treatment. So do Eli, Romo and Rivers at times. What I was saying is that regardless of where you rank Ryan among those 14-15 guys, there are 17-18 other teams that would give their collective left nut for the guy. Or for Flacco, Eli, Romo or Rivers.

I'm saying there are 14-15 franchise QBs, and you can split hairs all day arguing who is better than who and how you should weigh age and other things. And Ryan is certainly 1 of those 14-15 QBs. But opposing fans make fun of Ryan all the time. Flacco gets the same treatment. So do Eli, Romo and Rivers at times. What I was saying is that regardless of where you rank Ryan among those 14-15 guys, there are 17-18 other teams that would give their collective left nut for the guy. Or for Flacco, Eli, Romo or Rivers.

IMO, here are the franchise QB's (16) and their ages:

Rodgers -- 31
Luck -- 25
E. Manning -- 33
Brees -- 35
Roethlisberger --32
Wilson -- 26
Ryan - 29
Brady -- 37
P Manning -- 38
Flacco --29
Romo -- 34
Rivers -- 33
Stafford -- 26
Newton -- 25
Dalton -- 27 (questionable)
Kaepernick -- 27

Left off are Alex Smith, Cutler, and the young QBs (Tannehill, Carr, Foles). Of those under 30, only Luck and possibly Russell Wilson could be rated as likely to have better futures than Matt Ryan. BTW, there is no doubt that more than half the league would much rather have Matt Ryan than the mess that they have at QB. Not a coincidence that of 12 playoff teams only the Arizona Cardinals do not have a franchise QB that guided them into the playoffs.

Back