• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread -Tom Brady beats the NFL

Chicago hired Wake alumnus Ernie Accorsi to consult on the GM and coaching searches. He certainly has the pedigree having built some success certainly at the Giants and more recently the Tarpanthers. Still, the last time the Bears hired a coach who already had previous NFL coaching experience was in 1956. So don't go expecting Chicago to hire a household name. Prominent assistant at best. More McCaskey "tradition."

Apparently he was Piccolo's roommate at Wake.

Adam SchefterVerified account ‏@AdamSchefter
Jets requested HC interviews with Cards DC Todd Bowles, SEA asst HC Tom Cable, BALT OC Gary Kubiak, SD OC Frank Reich, SEA DC Dan Quinn.

So I guess people off the jock of Shaw at Stanford and Roman at SF?? Those were the hot names last year

So I guess people off the jock of Shaw at Stanford and Roman at SF?? Those were the hot names last year

I'm sure Shaw will be brought up for other openings. Now, whether those are legit or just ways to satisfy the Rooney Rule is unknown

If I was the Bears I'd look towards Kubiak. A run heavy offense built around Forte should be the plan.

I think people may be convinced Shaw is staying.

I don't understand underrating Russell Wilson especially from Wake fans who saw him do this at State.

Roman had a terrible year as SF's OC. He wasn't great last year either and I was praying he'd get hired somewhere but sadly he didn't.

Greg Roman was the Steed Lobotomy of the SF 49ers.

If I was the Bears I'd look towards Kubiak. A run heavy offense built around Forte should be the plan.

There's quite a few Chifans pushing for Singletary. If he brings in an established OC he can rely on, maybe like Kubs, he'd be looked at to do what he did in SF, laying the groundwork for success.

i have not heard of anyone pushing for singletary? Waddle and Silvy laugh at anyone that suggest him. Harbaugh for 5mm? Bears should've trumped that

i have not heard of anyone pushing for singletary? Waddle and Silvy laugh at anyone that suggest him. Harbaugh for 5mm? Bears should've trumped that

Are you asking or telling? Bears message boards. As I said, "fans." And there are quite a few articles/reports mentioning Singletary. And it's not like he didn't accomplish some things in SF. Waddle and Silvy are stuck behind microphones. That's about right.

I think Harbaugh wanted to avoid leaving one soap opera for another. The bullshit with Cutler and Marshall's spat, the Kromer thing, the pissed off fans, and the Cutler thing all present an ugly storefront. Harbaugh is facing a lot of shit at Michigan but he will avoid what's going on in Chicago and have more control at UM than he would have in Chicago.

Singletary is awful

Yeah, he was regarded as a prima donna when he was on the Ravens staff. High maintenance - had a lot of demands and wasn't a great coach. They were happy when Nolan took him to San Fran.

I think people may be convinced Shaw is staying.

I don't understand underrating Russell Wilson especially from Wake fans who saw him do this at State.

Agreed. Acting like Wilson was not hugely important for that Super Bowl run just means they didn't actually watch the games, or don't value anything but vacuum stats. Substitute stat king but career loser Phillip Rivers for Wilson and Seattle doesn't make it to the conference championship game.

Yeah, he was regarded as a prima donna when he was on the Ravens staff. High maintenance - had a lot of demands and wasn't a great coach. They were happy when Nolan took him to San Fran.

And don't get me wrong- I'm definitely not in favor of Singletary. I just don't want to see the Bears hire another coach where even those who follow football are asking, "who?" Which isn't to say that hiring a known-name is the solution either. Some names are well-known because they're notorious. I'd love to think Riverboat Ron would want to come back but doubt he's leaving the Tarpanthers any time soon.

And don't get me wrong- I'm definitely not in favor of Singletary. I just don't want to see the Bears hire another coach where even those who follow football are asking, "who?" Which isn't to say that hiring a known-name is the solution either. Some names are well-known because they're notorious. I'd love to think Riverboat Ron would want to come back but doubt he's leaving the Tarpanthers any time soon.

Are you excited for the Shanny reunion with Cutler?

I've never understood the need to win the press conference by hiring a name. This rarely works out. Teams always should hire the candidate that gives the team the best chance to win in the future. John Harbaugh was the Eagles special teams coach when the Ravens hired him. Mike Tomlin had been a DC for one year. Mike McCarthy was an anonymous OC when the Packers hired him. Hate it when teams feel the need to hire a re-tread (Mike Shanahan, Singletary, Rex Ryan) rather than seeking out the next great coach.

Dec 21st NBCSports article:

David Shaw will not listen to any potential NFL coaching offers that may come his way, according to a report by Adam Schefter of ESPN. Schefter says Shaw is committed to coaching in college despite having many tendencies that appear attractive to NFL franchises in need of a new head coach. Shaw is every bit a Stanford guy at this stage in his career, and his desire to stay put has been put on display in recent seasons since taking over for Harbaugh as head coach of the Cardinal.

Back