• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NFL Offseason Thread -Tom Brady beats the NFL

Dec 21st NBCSports article:

David Shaw will not listen to any potential NFL coaching offers that may come his way, according to a report by Adam Schefter of ESPN. Schefter says Shaw is committed to coaching in college despite having many tendencies that appear attractive to NFL franchises in need of a new head coach. Shaw is every bit a Stanford guy at this stage in his career, and his desire to stay put has been put on display in recent seasons since taking over for Harbaugh as head coach of the Cardinal.

Amazing how Stanford has become such an attractive coaching position. While Stanford has had some great teams and players, they also have a longer history of inferior teams, until the recent run of success under Harbaugh and Shaw. Now, the Stanford job is probably a top 10 to 15 college job and better than many NFL gigs. Coaching football at an academically oriented institution is no longer the disadvantage that it once was as Duke, Northwestern and to a lesser degree Baylor and TCU are comparatively far better programs than at any other time in the history of NCAA football. Coaching at a small private school has become more of a positive (a more valuable education) than ever before.

Amazing how Stanford has become such an attractive coaching position. While Stanford has had some great teams and players, they also have a longer history of inferior teams, until the recent run of success under Harbaugh and Shaw. Now, the Stanford job is probably a top 10 to 15 college job and better than many NFL gigs. Coaching football at an academically oriented institution is no longer the disadvantage that it once was as Duke, Northwestern and to a lesser degree Baylor and TCU are comparatively far better programs than at any other time in the history of NCAA football. Coaching at a small private school has become more of a positive (a more valuable education) than ever before.

I think, for David Shaw, Stanford is the best coaching job in all of football (prior to becoming head coach, he had been associated w/ the school for 10 years, 2 while he was in high school and his dad coached there, 4 as a student athlete, and 4 as an offensive coordinator). I think it's pretty far down the list for everyone else.

Are you excited for the Shanny reunion with Cutler?

The Bears could hire Bellichick or Carroll or the ghost of Papa Bear himself and I couldn't get excited. Cutler is the concrete shoes waiting for the next Bears coach.

I think, for David Shaw, Stanford is the best coaching job in all of football (prior to becoming head coach, he had been associated w/ the school for 10 years, 2 while he was in high school and his dad coached there, 4 as a student athlete, and 4 as an offensive coordinator). I think it's pretty far down the list for everyone else.

Right. But it's possible for private schools find their own David Shaw.

I want Trestman to work out somewhere. I have a connection to a current CFL head coach and I want that pipeline to open up so I can get some bennys.

Chicago great and pundit Doug Buffone said it best: "Talk to Trestman for more than five minutes and you'll lose your will to live."

These are Matt Ryan's stats from 2012 when the Falcons had some semblance of a running game, consistency, health and stability on the OL, a healthy Julio AND Roddy (admittedly Father Time has caught up) and of course the ageless wonder Tony Gonzalez:

228 of 317 (71.9% comp) for an avg of 321 yds / gm and 8.1 yds per attempt along with a TD/Int ratio of 4.2 to 1 (21 TDs to 5 picks).

I will note that the Birds had a tougher sked at home that year and Ryan struggled at times in the face of better pass rushers, but most QB's do. Unfortunately, Ryan's lack of mobility hurts him more than I'd prefer but not everyone can be Rodgers or Brees or Russell Wilson, who is not overrated IMO as he could rack up some very good passing stats if he threw more (although his receiving corps is a bit lackluster at the moment).

Despite those struggles at home in 2012, a very limited passing game in '08, an injury plagued '09 and a horrible 2013 due to "everything that could go wrong did go wrong", Matt still averages about 67% with roughly 260 yds passing per game and roughly a 2.5 TD\Int ratio over the course of his career at the friendly domed confines.

I'd say y'all are letting your hatred for Atlanta get in the way of your judgment. Ryan is easily a Top 10 QB if not Top 6 when he has a running game and a healthy OL. His window is still 3-4 years assuming the line comes together next year and you silly Pantha kitty fans will be hating him even more than you do now. ;) Certainly better than Cutler, Tannehill, Kap, Cam (however I do think Cam has a ceiling of potential that he will not ever realize), RG3 and Flacco (given equal circumstances but Ryan has never played on a team with a D near as good as Balt). I'd give him the edge over Eli too, but y'all will piss on about his two rings, but Alex Smith probably could have won them with that defense and running attack.

Last edited:
These are Matt Ryan's stats from 2012 when the Falcons had some semblance of a running game, consistency, health and stability on the OL, a healthy Julio AND Roddy (admittedly Father Time has caught up) and of course the ageless wonder Tony Gonzalez:

228 of 317 (71.9% comp) for an avg of 321 yds / gm and 8.1 yds per attempt along with a TD/Int ratio of 4.2 to 1 (21 TDs to 5 picks).

I will note that the Birds had a tougher sked at home that year and Ryan struggled at times in the face of better pass rushers, but most QB's do. Unfortunately, Ryan's lack of mobility hurts him more than I'd prefer but not everyone can be Rodgers or Brees or Russell Wilson, who is not overrated IMO as he could rack up some very good passing stats if he threw more (although his receiving corps is a bit lackluster at the moment).

Despite those struggles at home in 2012, a very limited passing game in '08, an injury plagued '09 and a horrible 2013 due to "everything that could go wrong did go wrong", Matt still averages about 66-67% with roughly 270 yds passing per game and roughly a 2.2 TD\Int ratio over the course of his career at the friendly domed confines.

I'd say y'all are letting your hatred for Atlanta get in the way of your judgment. Ryan is easily a Top 10 QB if not Top 6 when he has a running game and a healthy OL. His window is still 3-4 years assuming the line comes together next year and you silly Pantha kitty fans will be hating him even more than you do now. ;) Certainly better than Cutler, Tannehill, Kap, Cam (however I do think Cam has a ceiling of potential that he will not ever realize), RG3 and Flacco (given equal circumstances but Ryan has never played on a team with a D near as good as Balt). I'd give him the edge over Eli too, but y'all will piss on about his two rings, but Alex Smith probably could have won them with that defense and running attack.

Uhh yeah, you mean that rushing attack that was Dead Fucking Last in the league when the Giants won the Super Bowl in 2011?

Uhh yeah, you mean that rushing attack that was Dead Fucking Last in the league when the Giants won the Super Bowl in 2011?

Apologies for that oversight. Forgot he had to throw for nearly 5,000 yards that year, but his stats for that year are pretty close to Matt Ryan averages over his career.

The two are pretty similar as they aren't known for their arm strength or mobility and they've both had years that they'd probably like to forget. But when it comes to decision-making and accuracy, the edge goes to Ryan. If you wanna rate on intangibles and lucky catches on heaves to David Tyree, then I reckon Eli will win out.

Or winning games that matter. And no mobility or arm strength involved in this at all:

the-catch-eli-manning-to-david-tyree-super-bowl-xlii-part-1.gif

the-catch-eli-manning-to-david-tyree-super-bowl-xlii-part-2.gif

I didn't say he didn't have arm strength, but he's not renown for it like Rodgers or Flacco or Romo or Cam.

And that was a helluva play by Manning to escape. However, it was only about a 40 yard pass. Pretty standard throw when stepping and planting isn't it?

In 2012, I may have ranked Eli in my Top 8, but he has regressed a bit IMO and players like Wilson and Luck have emerged.

I'd like to think of Ryan has having Top 6 potential, but without the supreme arm strength or the mobility of Luck or Rodgers, he's probably Top 8 when he's at the top of his game.

1) Rodgers 2) Peyton 3) Brees 4) Luck 5) Brady 6) Big Ben (hate to admit this but dude is clutch) 7) Romo 8) Ryan 9) Wilson 10) Rivers 11) Eli 12) Flacco

I left Stafford out because his career comp % is under 60% and his TD/Int is pretty avg. IOW, he's a knucklehead who hasn't earned "elite" status in my mind. As you can see, I'm very high on Wilson's ceiling as he hasn't even played in a high-octane offense by any standard yet.

NFL Offseason Thread - Black Monday

Nobody is saying that Matty Ice isn't an above average QB who excels in optimal conditions when there is no pressure. We're just saying that he chokes on his busted wife's big fucking dick when it matters.

James Franklin has a very relevant viewpoint about selecting his assistant coaches.

Back