• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Stuart Scott

This is so hard to watch but I can't stop. Hannah Storm can't keep it together on set.

Some people don't understand that some times it just isn't the right time or place to make stupid comments. Take it somewhere else.

Some people don't understand that some times it just isn't the right time or place to make stupid comments. Take it somewhere else.

An internet message board that was created out of angst, hatred, and despair isn't the right place for stupid comments?

This board really doesn't have room to complain about comments with some of the things you guys post or find hilarious other times/places.

That said, I wish everyone here would think about the shit they say all the time, and not just when someone dies.

the Stuart Scott's Legacy video up on ESPN is tough to watch. Forget 'dusty room' - I'm straight-up crying on the couch right now.

UNC, Reynolds high, and cancer all be damned. RIP Stu.

Mit Shah tweeted that he was a Mt Tabor alum.

He transferred out of Tabor to go to that other school.

Mt Tabor was not a high school back then..9th and 10th only. Graduated from RJR with Stuart.

Tabor for 9th and 10th, Reynolds for 11th and 12th. He wrote for the same paper that Brasky and I did in high school -- a friend of ours used to search for his bylines religiously.

Just awful news....he was 1 of the best, an ESPN icon. Thoughts and prayers to his family, esp his 2 young daughters.

RIP Stuart

He was once at a comedy club my bro performed at. After the show Stu sought him out to tell him he was "funny as shit." Bro said he was the nicest dude. RIP for sure. Guy was a one of a kind and had a profound impact on how sports are covered.

7:48 – Following a trade with Portland, Utah takes Deron (don't call me De-RON) Williams at No. 3. Perfect pick – with some luck, he'll be half as good as Chris Paul. Bilas sums up everyone's concerns by wondering if Deron has the "blowbyability" to get into the lane – I'm going to vote "yes" since he's 202 pounds and should end up looking like John Bagley before everything's said and done. On the bright side, Deron has the hottest girlfriend since Casey Jacobsen's girlfriend turned Craig Sager to jello in the 2002 draft.

7:49 – Stu Scott finishes his interview with Deron Williams by saying, "Mike, seven tattoos on this man, still, character – all the time, character," followed by a confused Williams staring at him in disbelief. Highlight of the draft so far.

7:54 – New Orleans happily grabs Chris Paul with the fourth pick, partly because he's the best player in the draft, partly because he's one of four people in this draft who could handle playing in New Orleans. "He will be the mayor of New Orleans!" Vitale screams. "Trust me! He will be the king of New Orleans!" Translation: He's going to hand out more beads than assists.

Meanwhile, Paul's brother CJ fondly remembers all the fights they had when they were kids – including the time Chris pulled a knife on him – adding, "it was all out of love, it was all out of love." Gotcha. CJ also reveals that he's going to live with Chris and serve as his manager and personal assistant. I can't believe he was available.

You can also add Cook Middle School to the list of elite institutions Stuart attended.

Thanks for sharing that tribute by Rich Eisen. That was powerful stuff.

The article beneath the ESPN story is fantastic. http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/12118296/stuart-scott-espn-anchor-dies-age-49

I never met Stuart (and didn't know until this thread that he was a fellow DORIAN SCROLL alum; truly a launching pad for greatness), but I have gotten to know his parents well. He looks just like his father. Fifteen minutes with his mother and you want to adopt her as your own grandmother. Everyone knows that cancer is awful, but it just seems all the more pernicious when it strikes down young people of great character and potential. Awful news, and I am heartbroken for the great people in his family and the pain they are feeling.

I think the coolest thing to me about Stuart Scott is the fact that I---as a young white kid---saw in him something that I could relate to more than any other anchor on that network: he was from the South making it big at the highest levels of his business. I loved Eisen, KO and DP, but it was cool to watch this guy because he was from (e.g. the guy bagged groceries at Food Fair at Sherwood Plaza) where I was from (which is a coincidence, but an important one for me), pulled for the teams I pulled for (FWIW, I felt the same way about SVP; an ACC guy making it big) and there aren't many authentic Southerners in national media that don't run from their mannerisms. Many people fail trying to be something they are not; Stuart succeeded because he refused to be anyone else but himself. Stuart Scott will be sorely missed.

Last edited:
He transferred out of Tabor to go to that other school.

I thought he went to Tabor when it was a junior HS and then moved on to Reynolds.

Regardless, RIP Stu. A great representative and alum of The Hyphen.

Never mind, I see y'all covered this.

Hated to hear this news this morning. I was hopeful for another recovery for him. RIP, Stu.

And if you can't stay classy on the thread like this, there's no hope for you. Just stay away.

Back