• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Karl Hess

Karl the shit head reff gets paid to deal with it. You can't say that crap to someone. If the guy at your arena thought it was a joke, this would be a non issue and no one would have ever heard of the comment. Again, Fuck Karl Hess.

There's another side to this story. Unless you've sat in that vicinity and heard the stuff thrown at Hess, I think you should reserve judgment. Frankly, I think Mit posted it because he thought it was funny. Through the years that front row have baited and enjoyed banter with Hess, Jones, Kersey, etc. This story is going to be taken out of context fast. I want to hear from Mit that he actually was bothered (rather than enjoyed it) & King Karl's version before making judgment. For all we know Mit well could have said 'my Egyptian ass can outreff you'. I've heard much worse from that area.

Hess is such an ass hat that I don't much care about the context.

I haven't sat in "that vicinity" but I have sat in the vicinity of Wake and ACC basketball, and I have seen the shit that Karl Hess has thrown at us and others. Reffing in the ACC ought to be a privilege. It's time to send Mr. Hess to the Patriot or the Mexican league for good. It's time to "T" Hess permanently and send a message to some of the other arrogant, incompetent fuck heads calling our games. Fuck him; he's been fuckin' us and getting well-paid for it for decades.

Sorry, everyone but there is no way to be accurate without using four letter words when talking about this Karl Hess.

Mit is not an idiot. If this was a joke, then he would have clarified that.

Not really. Then, his first game back at PNC was two years later this season and he gives Gott a phantom T and we lose by 1. Fuck that guy

Which was also funny. Anything that feeds Statefan's persecution complex is funny.

Sorry, I just disagree with a lot of these comments. Hess, like Kersey, calmly makes calls and moves on. Unlike Valentine and Paparo and Mike Wood, he doesn't flail his arms around and pick fights with Coaches. Even Sunday, when Manning wanted to argue about who the call was on, Hess just walked away.

We're all entitled to our opinion I guess but I ask you this: do you watch Karl Hess ref 10-12 games a year in person? Do you even attend 10-12 college games a year? If not, I'm not really sure your opinion is all that educated. Sorry.

You just can't say that at your job to paying customers or other employees. You can't. Even if he was returning similar talk back towards someone. It's not professional and should not be tolerated.

There probably are a lot of workplaces and corporations where this type of thing gets you fired. I don't spend any time there so I can't really argue about that.

Karl has built what he has built himself. He inherited nothing. His resume and income are now at the top of his business. Sorry, I'm not throwing the guy under the bus without hearing more context. Anyone can send out a tweet and then not comment about it.

Sorry, I just disagree with a lot of these comments. Hess, like Kersey, calmly makes calls and moves on. Unlike Valentine and Paparo and Mike Wood, he doesn't flail his arms around and pick fights with Coaches. Even Sunday, when Manning wanted to argue about who the call was on, Hess just walked away.

We're all entitled to our opinion I guess but I ask you this: do you watch Karl Hess ref 10-12 games a year in person? Do you even attend 10-12 college games a year? If not, I'm not really sure your opinion is all that educated. Sorry.

Who goes to college basketball games to watch the refs?

The best refs are those who are not noticed by the fans and certainly aren't known by name. If a ref is known to the fans, then that ref is making it more about himself than about the game or is simply a bad ref.

There's another side to this story. Unless you've sat in that vicinity and heard the stuff thrown at Hess, I think you should reserve judgment. Frankly, I think Mit posted it because he thought it was funny. Through the years that front row have baited and enjoyed banter with Hess, Jones, Kersey, etc. This story is going to be taken out of context fast. I want to hear from Mit that he actually was bothered (rather than enjoyed it) & King Karl's version before making judgment. For all we know Mit well could have said 'my Egyptian ass can outreff you'. I've heard much worse from that area.

Mit doesn't use the "#Wow" if he thought it was funny.

Hess and Valentine is a valid comparison regardless of theatrical styles. Both have careers littered with incidents involving fans, showing up coaches, and grabbing headlines. The "best" refs generally avoid this type of news, it's defined Hess and Valentine

There probably are a lot of workplaces and corporations where this type of thing gets you fired. I don't spend any time there so I can't really argue about that.

Karl has built what he has built himself. He inherited nothing. His resume and income are now at the top of his business. Sorry, I'm not throwing the guy under the bus without hearing more context. Anyone can send out a tweet and then not comment about it.

Maybe if he had inherited a little class he wouldn't be such a racist asshole.

I do sit on that same row and over the years I have had quite a bit of interaction with Karl. He can be Funny, sarcastic, irreverent, snide and interactive. It is like conversation in the bar or frat house. I have no problem with him at all but that comment was a little over the line unless you had a relationship with someone that you made it to. I think he is one of the better officials that we have.

There is a reason that he only did about 1 game a year for us in the last 4 years. The conference gives him the better games and we sucked so bad any other crew would be fine. I want to see him at more of our games because it means something.

i saw the whole episode - but didn't hear it. It was clear Mit and the front row were giving Hess and the other refs a hard time. Mit actually stepped on the court after a no call to yell at the ref trailing the play back down the court towards the wake bench (which is what got my attention on Mit in the first place).

As much as I despise Hess and thought he blew more than one call in that game, Mit was pushing the line with the refs. Prior to a FT, Hess came over and said something to him (I thought he was going to go throw him out or at least threaten it), then snickered and walked away. I didnt hear what he said, but if Hess did call him a 'Eygptian ass', Hess still deserves being punished by the ACC.

I just told my boss that I want to sit in his chair and watch his Egyptian ass do my job. It didn't seem to bother him much.

Your wife is Egyptian?

No, she's American. She's also a woman, so the use of the word "his," should have tipped you off that I wasn't talking about my wife. But my boss is Australian, and male.

Back