• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Remember when Romney groveled for Trump’s endorsement?

MAGA

Record unemployment for all American population segments

No Lil’ Kim threatening outside his play pen

No capitulation to Iranian-Jihadist elements funding global terrorism.

Calling out Palestinian Bullshit. Demonstrating Arab use of “Palestinian peoples” (a made up group of Egyptians,Jordanians,et.,al) as a regional proxy by which they attempt to influence the UN. Showing the false narrative and definitively showing that “the Palestinians have no desire for peace as that would effectively remove their use as a tool for leverage”.

Standing up to decades of Communist China’s lack of decency in matters of trade..and neverminding Democrat Love for a tyrannical Chinese regime bent on extending their pacific aggression. Confronting today’s China which has undergone a power consolidation which hearkens back to Mao.

MAGA

Had to add a trillion dollars to national debt, increase deficits, to continue Obama's recovery. Wages are declining, income and wealth inequality expanding.

Gave Kim Jong Un legitimacy so that he can focus on his nuclear program.

Leave Iran deal which brought transparency and restrictions to Iran's nuclear program in favor of secrecy and uncertainty.

Embracing Israeli bullshit to eliminate a two state solution.

Corruption involving heads of nearly all federal departments.

Corruption, nepotism, emoluments violations throughout the White House.

Complete lack of maturity from the POTUS.

Taking children from their parents and torturing them.

etc.

Fixed to reflect reality.

No surprise with this one. Trump has always been a man filled with prejudices of all kinds - racial, class, regional, etc. It's only fitting that we learn that he also disdains and holds his own rural, small-town white base in contempt. As a guy who grew up in big cities with all the conveniences his family's wealth could provide, it shouldn't be a shock that Trump doesn't enjoy traveling to places that often lack those amenities, and being forced to hobnob and grovel to people that he no doubt privately dismisses as gullible, easily conned and manipulated white trash rednecks. He loves their adoration, but regards them as his social inferiors (including Jeff Sessions, apparently).

It kills him he can’t do his Nuremberg rallies at Madison Square Garden

Where was this guy when Congress sold its soul to the military industrial complex by authorizing the invasion of Iraq? I hope that we never forget a lot of moments in history when Congress sold out "we the people" for profit. I'm not really all that optimistic, though.

There's just no historical scale to the outrage from a lot of these Twitter celebrities. That's actually how we got to this point. Something about being doomed to repeat history and whatnot. Hell, George W Bush is just a funny old man who likes #theresistance, caramels, and painting pictures.

What about

meh

These journalists are just rotten. I'm glad they are going to sanction folks in the future, but I find this highly unlikely given their uncanny ability to gloss over the past atrocities enabled and supported by many of the heroes of #theresistance.

And related - I'll never find a single thing that George W. Bush says or does in the public sphere to be decent. Fuck him and everybody that enabled his agenda.

meh

These journalists are just rotten. I'm glad they are going to sanction folks in the future, but I find this highly unlikely given their uncanny ability to gloss over the past atrocities enabled and supported by many of the heroes of #theresistance.

And related - I'll never find a single thing that George W. Bush says or does in the public sphere to be decent. Fuck him and everybody that enabled his agenda.

I agree that W did the worst thing any POTUS can do- start a war of choice based on lies.

However, your statement in red is nonsense. W did work very closely with Bill Clinton, Bono and others to save millions of lives in Africa suffering with HIV and/or AIDS. W also worked diligently with McCain and Teddy Kennedy to try to pass comprehensive immigration reform that would have helped millions in the US.

On balance, W was a huge disaster. His lack of enforcing the law was a factor in the economic meltdown. His incompetence during Katrina will be remembered forever. He was horrible. W was on the ultra-short list of worst POTUS (until Trump came along).

But to say he didn't do a single "decent" thing as POTUS is ridiculous.

GWB is/was not so bright and trusted too much the wrong folks.

But I think he is/was generally well intentioned. No, that’s not enough. But it’s something. And rj is correct, he did (and tried to do) some good things.

RJ's reading comprehension fails him again.

Since you are so smart. please show me how I didn't "comprehend" this statement:

I'll never find a single thing that George W. Bush says or does in the public sphere to be decent.

That's ALL I responded to. ALL I did was show two things W did/tried that were decent.

But I am awaiting your marvelous insights.

His statement is a sentiment about how he feels towards Bush. It is also future tense. He was not arguing that the man never supported a single piece of positive legislation or that he never did a decent thing.

GWB is/was not so bright and trusted too much the wrong folks.

But I think he is/was generally well intentioned. No, that’s not enough. But it’s something. And rj is correct, he did (and tried to do) some good things.

Again, y'all treat history with a passive voice. Who is to blame for the crimes of the Bush administration? If it wasn't his fault, then whose fault was it? If an energy sector CEO is a good guy and surrounds himself with the wrong people, then is the CEO to blame for a massive oil spill?

Sorry, but it doesn't seem like the past is anybody's fault. We have to stop writing hagiographies of our living presidents/politicians and start wising up to the realities and consequences of their administrations or else we're just further fucked beyond belief.

And - yeah, RJ - GWB is a piece of shit. I'm glad that he did a few things right and worked with the Clinton foundation to democratize access to AIDS medicine. That was a great move and he deserves credit for it. That being said, I don't want to hear from George W. Bush again. He's responsible for the death of millions of American soldiers and Iraqi civilians. He brought us into a war under false pretenses that has cost countless numbers of lives, trillions of dollars, and set us on a path towards eternal war in the Middle East. George W Bush can fuck right off. I said it then, I'll say it now, and I'll say it when that bastard dies.

His statement is a sentiment about how he feels towards Bush. It is also future tense. He was not arguing that the man never supported a single piece of positive legislation or that he never did a decent thing.

Reading is fundamental, as they say.

Back