• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

I think the tea party thinks that there are more of them out there than there really are.

HRC is gonna take FL big time. It really won't be close.

This interview with the author of a new book "Rat F**ked, The True Story Behind the Secret Plan to Steal America's Democracy" delves into the very successful Republican strategy for the 2010 elections that helped bring us to where we are today politically. It's not quite the debacle for the GOP we may like to think it is. North Carolina and other important swing states are mentioned prominently.

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/...tter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2016-08-04

Carly Fiorina allegedly planning to run for RNC Chair in January. Not seeing it. Got crushed by Boxer, a Dem machine hack, in CA and got zero traction in the 2016 presidential primaries. Michael Steele wanted to be more inclusive, but base rejected him, said some stupid shit, and Reince pounced. Dweeby Reince was terrified of Trump running as an independent, but now the GOP brand is Trump.

GOP's shaky coalition has completely come apart and Carly can't put it back together. Neither can Palin. Two distinctly different factions. Base loves Trump and hates the establishment. Palin and the Tea Party vowed to crush Ryan in a primary. Ryan gamely squeaked by with a narrow 68 point margin.

Pence might be the best pick. Won't have a job and his archaic policies would be 2020 general election road kill.

Why take a guy with archaic policies and make him head of the RNC? This is saying that the party message is to go backwards in time. I am sure that's what the base wants but until they become more inclusive its a recipe for disaster at the executive level. Out west it is slowly becoming a problem at the Senate level.

Who would have ever thought that the western part of the country would ever become mostly Democratic in their voting ways?

Why take a guy with archaic policies and make him head of the RNC? This is saying that the party message is to go backwards in time. I am sure that's what the base wants but until they become more inclusive its a recipe for disaster at the executive level. Out west it is slowly becoming a problem at the Senate level.

Who would have ever thought that the western part of the country would ever become mostly Democratic in their voting ways?

They've been going back in time for the past 8 years, you might as well elect somebody who embodies that wholeheartedly.

They've been going back in time for the past 8 years, you might as well elect somebody who embodies that wholeheartedly.

18 years, at least. The Pubs haven't had a new economic idea since the 1980's and they haven't had a new entitlement idea since the early 90's. They have however come up with many creative legislative ideas for regulating people's sexual and reproductive behavior.

PUBS: "Don't incentivize and subsidize single parents!!!!!"
DISSENTER: "Ok, well what should we do instead?"
PUBS: "NO ABORTION! NO SEXUAL EDUCATION! NO TEACHING SCIENCE!"

PUBS: "Don't incentivize and subsidize single parents!!!!!"
DISSENTER: "Ok, well what should we do instead?"
PUBS: "NO ABORTION! NO SEXUAL EDUCATION! NO TEACHING SCIENCE!"

Basically. Pub policies incentivize the abortions Pubs don't want women to get.

Why do republicans like Fiorina?

Carly Fiorina allegedly planning to run for RNC Chair in January. Not seeing it. Got crushed by Boxer, a Dem machine hack, in CA and got zero traction in the 2016 presidential primaries. Michael Steele wanted to be more inclusive, but base rejected him, said some stupid shit, and Reince pounced. Dweeby Reince was terrified of Trump running as an independent, but now the GOP brand is Trump.

GOP's shaky coalition has completely come apart and Carly can't put it back together. Neither can Palin. Two distinctly different factions. Base loves Trump and hates the establishment. Palin and the Tea Party vowed to crush Ryan in a primary. Ryan gamely squeaked by with a narrow 68 point margin.

Pence might be the best pick. Won't have a job and his archaic policies would be 2020 general election road kill.

Can any of the Republican leaning readers tell me why on earth people would be excited by a badly failed business executive and badly failed politician taking over operation of the party? Michael Steele did that job extremely well and you didn't like him. Why the enthusiasm for Carly?

Dole/Kemp were both good guys who were sacrificed against the Bubba buzz saw in '96. Colin Powell should have been part of any of the last five GOP tickets. Mitch Daniels, Bob Gates, Huntsman, and Condi could have helped broaden the party and been solid general election picks, but the base hates them.

Rudy, Newt, and Sleepy are terrible surrogates, but Trump doesn't have other options. Pence won't go rogue on Trump, but he does have cred with multiple parts of a broken party. Base keeps fucking up, but still refuses to change.

IMHO it's still not too late for Condi 2020, but I feel it'll probably be Haley or Martinez 2020.

New poll that only 25% of registered 'Pubs are willing to admit Obama was born in America. Doesn't really matter what the mix (25% morons, 50% assholes?) is. While claiming Obama was the ISIS founder, Trump deliberately used Obama's full BHO Muslimy name.

Hijab wearing fencer came in second as American flag bearer. Not a distinguished athlete by any means and athletes aren't universally liberal. Same fencer is featured in a Visa ad during the Olympics. Corporate America was way out of ahead of the country on LGBT issues. May not be all in on Caitlyn Jenner as a corporate shill, but certainly not scared of using a Muslim athlete in a national ad. Disney didn't go bankrupt after offering benefits to gay employees' partners in the mid-'90s.

GOP stayed too long and overplayed their hand on marriage equality and lost on an issue that will linger with no good excuse. Pence and McCrory badly miscalculated and got clowned on religious freedom and transgenders. Pence was rewarded by being embraced by Trump. Totally shit the bed on the Khans and are overplaying the Muslim angle. No doubt ISIS is a problem, but Trump's such a train wreck that he severely flawed as a credible spokesperson for a party that needs moderate voters in swing states to win and remain viable and relevant to have a national future.

GOP stayed too long and overplayed their hand on marriage equality and lost on an issue that will linger with no good excuse.

I think that's because for their evangelical base, it's not a political platform but a deeply-held belief. The majority of them -- with the exception of people like Wrangor, I guess -- aren't going to come around on those issues.

I think that's because for their evangelical base, it's not a political platform but a deeply-held belief. The majority of them -- with the exception of people like Wrangor, I guess -- aren't going to come around on those issues.

thanks, religion

Going to have a similar problem with the Zika virus and abortion. As Cville has noted, GOP capitulation on abortion and LGBT issues loses social conservatives. Refusing not to losses moderates and independents. The former is a significantly smaller vote bloc nationally, but they'll still pander to the ideologues much to their own detriment. Rinse, lather, repeat...

All of the gerrymandering ruled bad. Re-do it. Sad !
If the Republican legislature is re-drawing it than it won't make a difference. Partisan gerrymandering is perfectly legal. They'll find a way.

Womp-womp...

These things really need to be decided by an impartial group or computers.

Back