• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

How many wars has America actually lost? Vietnam and what else? Although to be fair, as someone commented conservatives may be complaining about losing the Civil War too.

I love how part of city boy JD Vance's act is pretending he doesn't know the meaning of either "white" or "rage" or pretending he doesn't know white people can get anger and impact other people.

How many wars has America actually lost? Vietnam and what else? Although to be fair, as someone commented conservatives may be complaining about losing the Civil War too.

This is the logical extension of "I like vets that don't get captured" (or what ever the exact quote was). "I like armies that don't lose wars!"

What a depraved and deplorable political movement.

They just don't like the liberal elite military leaders. The rank and file are, of course, republicans <shakes head> so they're ok. They also, don't like teachers and professors that teach history. Oh, they do hate the people fighting that war on Christmas. Those liberals are pure EVIL!

I love how part of city boy JD Vance's act is pretending he doesn't know the meaning of either "white" or "rage" or pretending he doesn't know white people can get anger and impact other people.

No doubt. His book Hillbilly Elegy is all about white rage and corresponding self-destructive, self-defeating behavior by poor and lower-class whites.

Regardless of hypocritical rationale, I'm 100% with Laura. Taking 100B-200B (not sure how much she's proposing and don't care enough to find out if she does have an amount in mind) away from DoD budget would be a-ok with me.

The sad truth…

Opinion: A war on truth is raging. Not everyone recognizes we’re in it.

Most people regard Republicans’ #StopTheSteal campaign, also known as the “big lie,” as an attempt to re-litigate the 2020 election and pander to a radicalized, Trumpy base. It is that, but it is also a massive and devastatingly effective deployment of Russian-style information warfare against American democracy — by Americans themselves — with an eye toward the future. We should think of it not as a momentary partisan outburst but a kind of epistemic 9/11: a moment when a menace that has been developing for years reaches maturity and displays its full prowess…

… The rise of Donald Trump brought a turning point. He and his allies in conservative media and Republican politics seized upon Russian-style disinformation techniques and applied them to domestic politics. In his 2016 campaign, Trump lied so frequently and flagrantly that the media couldn’t keep up and the public lost track, a favorite Russian tactic known as the fire hose of falsehood.
With the #StopTheSteal campaign, the turning point became a point of no return. In April 2020, Trump launched a propaganda onslaught against mail-in balloting. Much as the Russians had used Jade Helm 15 to test their disinformation methods, Trump used the attack on mail-in balloting to organize the propaganda campaign he would launch if he lost the election. The already-high rate of Trump’s falsehoods ticked up sharply. After he lost, he and his allies unleashed a flood of exaggerations, lies and conspiracy theories through the White House, conservative media, social media and even the courts.
#StopTheSteal is not merely Trump’s way of being a sore loser or clinging to relevance (though it is those things). It is the most audacious disinformation campaign ever attempted against Americans by any actor, foreign or domestic. And it has been devastatingly effective. According to a recent Ipsos-Reuters poll, the majority of Republicans think the 2020 election was stolen, and almost half of independents either think the election was rigged or are unsure. Vladimir Putin could only dream of creating so much cynicism, doubt and distrust.

The “big lie” is a wake-up call, and not just about Trump. Even today, most scholars and commentators talk about America’s rising levels of polarization, extremism, and distrust of institutions and expertise as if they were natural disasters or products of generalized forces such as social media quirks, institutions’ failings and individuals’ gullibility. While those explanations have validity, they miss the more immediate threat: For years, Americans have been targeted with epistemic warfare — that is, with attacks on the credibility of the mainstream media, academia, government agencies, and other institutions and professionals we rely on to keep us collectively moored to facts. Those doing the targeting are nameable individuals and organizations, including Trump, conservative media outlets, Republican politicians, anti-vaccine groups and Russia’s Internet Research Agency.

Since epistemic warfare has proved its mettle so spectacularly in U.S. politics, it is likely here for good. Measures may allow us to fight back, such as revamping social media and teaching media literacy. But our primary means of defense is to be awake to the scope and origin of the threat. The first step toward winning the war on truth is to accept that we are in one.

I see a lot of folks say the GOP has no platform other than tax cuts + judges and a lot of made up Potato Head controversies. Not true! There's also making sure that athletes who don't respect America pay the price. You know, athletes like LeBron, Kaep and Berry (in the Tweet).

I see a lot of folks say the GOP has no platform other than tax cuts + judges and a lot of made up Potato Head controversies. Not true! There's also making sure that athletes who don't respect America pay the price. You know, athletes like LeBron, Kaep and Berry (in the Tweet).

republicans love cancel culture

preach political lies from the pulpit and lose your tax exempt status (all churches should really but I'll start here). Unfortunately that's a WAR on religious liberty ! the liberty do do anything you want as long as you claim jesus told you so !!

Can you sue a pastor for libel?

If it meets the criteria probably. He's no different than any other private citizen. Maybe a jury would be biased and give the benefit of the doubt. Then again maybe a case can be made that he's got a larger duty to be truthful before making baseless claims since he has a larger megaphone if you will.

lol I don't know who Jason Stanley is but he isn't the first to discuss this intersection of linguistics and power lol

oh he's a philosophy professor yeah that checks out

Back