• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread

Are Republicans worried about their party? They love Trump. They love being in power. They hate Obamacare but they also hate having to do health care at all.

I'm not sure a party that hates government gets worked up about not passing major legislation.

Tell me, how surprised would you be if I told you he was one of the sponsors of the abortion ban the House passed today?

Tell me, how surprised would you be if I told you he was one of the sponsors of the abortion ban the House passed today?

Just as surprised as if I told you another co-sponsor's wife had two abortions.

Are Republicans worried about their party? Yes They love Trump.No They love being in power.Don't care if it's trump They hate Obamacare but they also hate having to do health care at all.I think Obamacare can improve. I don't hate it, but it's not working for some americans

I'm not sure a party that hates government gets worked up about not passing major legislation.

Trump has 80% approval among Republicans.

The right-wing echo chamber that started in the 80s with Rush Limbaugh has done a remarkable job brainwashing large swaths of impressionable people with their long cons, economic myths, and fear mongering to fleece the American middle class and cast the left as Communist sympathizers hell-bent on controlling their lives. Just take a look at the Vegas massacre thread and the health care shitfuck. NIce job assholes

The right-wing echo chamber that started in the 80s with Rush Limbaugh has done a remarkable job brainwashing large swaths of impressionable people with their long cons, economic myths, and fear mongering to fleece the American middle class and cast the left as Communist sympathizers hell-bent on controlling their lives. Just take a look at the Vegas massacre thread and the health care shitfuck. NIce job assholes

Lot of truth in this. As someone who grew up listening to Rush Limbaugh, reading Ann Coulter and watching Fox News, i can tell you firsthand that intellectual dishonesty is a disease that plagues the modern conservative movement. It wasn't always like but somewhere along the way, conservatives became more invested in seeing their team win than actually doing good for the country.

It's such a short term play too. The long term prospects of the party look fucking atrocious. 18-39 year olds are abandoning the party in record numbers and it's not to join the Bannon/Breitbart bullshit bus either. The GOP has another 10-15 years at best before the math just doesn't work out.

Unfortunately that's a lot of time to do damage and make some more of these assholes rich.

Last edited:
Really makes you feel comfortable...

Although he insisted he had never considered resigning, several people close to Mr. Tillerson said he has had to be talked out of drafting a letter of resignation on more than one occasion by his closest allies, Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and John F. Kelly, the White House chief of staff. And they said he has regularly expressed astonishment at how little Mr. Trump understands the basics of foreign policy.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/04/us/politics/tillerson-trump-secretary-state.html

Makes me think less of Tillerson if he is actually astonished by this. Anyone who listed to 15 minutes of a stump speech or watched even part of a debate should know that he understand next to nothing of foreign policy.

I think there are a subset of people who thought (hopefully don't still think) that he was actually smart, but was just playing a part to entice the rubes.

I think there are a subset of people who thought (hopefully don't still think) that he was actually smart, but was just playing a part to entice the rubes.

If that's the case, yikes. Plus, even if he is smart, he is very obviously ignorant as fuck. Not a good combination to be ignorant and unwilling to actually read anything.

Everything Trump Touches Dies

Poll: GOP's popularity 'is in freefall'

October 05, 2017 - 10:55 AM EDT
Poll: GOP's popularity 'is in freefall'
Greg Nash

By John Bowden
Registered voters are increasingly turning away from the Republican Party and looking to the Democrats to solve America's biggest problems, according to a new poll.

A Suffolk University-USA Today survey released Thursday shows that 62 percent of respondents now have an unfavorable view of the GOP, a 7-point jump in unpopularity for the party since the same poll in June. Just under half, 48 percent, feel the same way about the Democrats.

The poll found that 43 percent of voters look to congressional Democrats to protect families when it comes to health care, compared to 15 percent who trust President Trump on health care and less than 10 percent who say the Republican Party should lead the way.

"The Republican Party is in freefall," said Suffolk University poll director David Paleologos. "In March the GOP had a 48 percent unfavorable rating, in June the negative swelled to 55 percent. Today the GOP unfavorable is 62 percent. What's next?"

When it comes to the president, more than half of respondents say Trump has not delivered on his promises. Nearly 57 percent of respondents say they want to see a Congress elected in 2018 that will stand up against Trump, while just 33 percent want Congress to cooperate with Trump and his legislative agenda.

Trump's unfavorable rating has climbed 2 points, to 57 percent, since the last poll. Just over a third, 34 percent of respondents, say they view Trump and his administration favorably.

Almost two-thirds of the country, 64 percent, say America is on the wrong track. That number has jumped 8 percent since June.

The Suffolk University-USA Today poll was conducted from Sept. 27 through Oct. 1 and contacted 1,000 likely voters by telephone. The margin of error is 3 percentage points.

This story is bananas. Self righteous Hill staffers are the worst.

Inside Tim Murphy's reign of terror
The anti-abortion lawmaker's abortion scandal was just the tipping point. Former aides say abuse inside his office was rampant.

Ex-staffers said Mosychuk kept white noise machines throughout Murphy’s congressional office so constituents waiting in the front room couldn’t hear her screaming. If Mosychuk was angry at staffers, she would make them take the stairs instead of the elevator, so they couldn’t ride with her, according to one former employee who witnessed it.

Mosychuk would even call staffers out of their bathroom breaks to demand they return to the office, or yell at them for taking too long to use the restroom. Many younger aides did not take lunch breaks, eating at their desks because they were scolded for leaving. One new employee quit after just a couple days because he was dressed down for using a paper clip instead of a staple on a briefing packet, multiple sources said.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/05/tim-murphy-abortion-scandal-office-staffers-243521?lo=ap_b1

Stephen Miller, the Powerful Survivor on the President’s Right Flank

Mr. Miller set off on a patriotic semi-striptease before the editor of the student newspaper, according to the editor, Ari Rosmarin, theatrically removing a button-down to reveal an American flag T-shirt in protest of an article he found inconsistent with the national interest. (The White House denied any symbolic unbuttoning, though officials confirmed Mr. Miller’s fondness for the T-shirt.)

He jumped, uninvited, into the final stretch of a girls’ track meet, apparently intent on proving his athletic supremacy over the opposite sex. (The White House, reaching for exculpatory context, noted that this was a girls’ team from another school, not his own.)

The White House comments are the best.

Back