• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

After 9-point loss in Va., Gillespie says he would not encourage others to run for office because of ‘poisonous atmosphere’

“It’s a much more poisonous atmosphere. I don’t know if there’s causality or correlation, I leave that for others to determine,” Gillespie said. “But I could not honestly say to someone that I like and think is a halfway decent human being, ‘Yeah, you ought to run for office’.”

Man who ran ads tying his opponent to violent gangs laments the current political climate. (He was asked about those ads and responded that their testing showed they would be the most impactful.)

Lets say the GOP loses control of one half of the house, essentially stalling Trump's agenda...... If they got tax reform in and somewhat defunded obamacare and get a bunch of judges in for the next 30 years, how much does the GOP truly care about the rest of it's "agenda?"

Aren't they in good shape to ride out a 12-16 year downturn of power?

Lets say the GOP loses control of one half of the house, essentially stalling Trump's agenda...... If they got tax reform in and somewhat defunded obamacare and get a bunch of judges in for the next 30 years, how much does the GOP truly care about the rest of it's "agenda?"

Depends on what those judges do. If they try to halt or roll back the advances made on social and cultural issues, there will be hell to pay from people under 40, I would think. Politically, it would be obvious that these are GOP judges, and the GOP would therefore probably get the blame. And there's no guarantee that a majority Democratic Party wouldn't do their own reform of the tax code, especially if the Trump tax cuts lead to much higher deficits as some have predicted.

The major issue for conservatives is the demographics of the current GOP are decreasing as a share of the general population. There has been basically no effort at outreach to minorities as the party has instead opted to wage a series of “culture wars” and its not likely that bringing in a brand of alt-right policies under the GOP umbrella does much to expand the base either beyond disgruntled predominantly white younger males.

maybe Empress Hillary adds more judges to the SCOTUS

Y’all member when Harry Reid waited for Scott Brown to be seated before voting on Health Care?

That. Is. Hilarious.

Hat tip to the WAPO editors for this headline.

Alabama Rep Mo Brooks (3rd place finisher in the senate primary) announced today that he has prostate cancer months after suggesting people with illnesses didn't do things the right way.

https://thinkprogress.org/mo-brooks-cancer-health-care-comments-0d472b2bc9ef/

While Republicans were trying to repeal Obamacare in May, Brooks — who introduced a one-sentence Obamacare repeal bill in March — went on CNN and defended Republicans’ plan to allow insurance companies to discriminate against people who have preexisting conditions, which he characterized as personal failings.
“My understanding is that (the new proposal) will allow insurance companies to require people who have higher health care costs to contribute more to the insurance pool,” Brooks said in comments that generated swift backlash. “That helps offset all these costs, thereby reducing the cost to those people who lead good lives, they’re healthy, they’ve done the things to keep their bodies healthy. And right now, those are the people — who’ve done things the right way — that are seeing their costs skyrocketing.”

It's harder and harder to have sympathy for these people. This is karma right here.

Mitch McConnell's super PAC:

Back