Page 11 of 253 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by TownieDeac View Post
    House voted to defund Planned Parenthood. One of these sides sounds rational.

In today's debate on the defunding bill, a co-sponsor, Rep. Gus Bilirakis, R-Fla., said:

"Taxpayers should not be forced to financially support organizations whose behavior is at best unethical and possibly illegal. When it comes to defunding Planned Parenthood, the issue should not be partisan. This is about protecting the rights of taxpayers — but more importantly, protecting the basic right of human life. I will continue to give a voice to our most fragile Americans who cannot speak for themselves at least until they're born then bootstraps ."

Rep. Diana DeGette, D-Colo., responded by saying:

"In fact, there were over 4 million visits to Planned Parenthood clinics last year, and over 90 percent of this was basic women's health care, and not abortions. So why are we talking about this today? Why are we talking about this legislation? Planned Parenthood does these services, and no federal funds are spent on abortion services that Planned Parenthood does provide. But yet the majority will take the radical step of denying women of the basic healthcare they need. This radical agenda is wrong – it's wrong for American women, and it's wrong for us, when the federal budget expires in just 13 days."
    The bold added for clarity.

I was in the Capitol when the vote happened. Yay, brushes with "fame."

There Republicans who invited Netanyahu and will boycott the Pope. Unreal.

I disagree with you
    that's because the GOP thinks that protecting Israel is more important than dealing with actual domestic threats and issues

"I will tell you: He is free and clear to be criticized like the rest of us."
    LOL. Look up the word "infallible."

Quote Originally Posted by wakephan09 View Post
    LOL. Look up the word "infallible."
    This is what I was thinking. If you're a catholic, then catholic dogma holds that the pope is infallible when deciding on moral and faith based doctrine. If the pope says that climate change, income inequality, etc. is a moral issue and a catholic disagrees with that position, then doesn't that make them an apostate?

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheCaptain View Post
    that's because the GOP knows that claiming to be the savior of Israel riles up the base more than actual domestic threats and issues
    FIFY

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    This is what I was thinking. If you're a catholic, then catholic dogma holds that the pope is infallible when deciding on moral and faith based doctrine. If the pope says that climate change, income inequality, etc. is a moral issue and a catholic disagrees with that position, then doesn't that make them an apostate?
    Technically, you're exactly right, but I doubt that dude in particular is Catholic. If I remember correctly, Kerry was prohibited from receiving communion in his home church for his pro-choice position, among others. Doubt that we'll see politicians espousing views that oppose those of the pope treated in the same manner this time around.

The Pumpfaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadbolt View Post
    Wonder if this means no govt shutdown? Boehner passes CR with Dem support on his way out.

Rusty Larue
    Wow.

That guy had the tiger by the tail from day 1. Must have been strange to win the position you wanted most only with the support of people who you don't trust.

All my liberal friends on FB are rejoicing. I guess they haven't figured out that what will replace him will be much worse.

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    All my liberal friends on FB are rejoicing. I guess they haven't figured out that what will replace him will be much worse.
    It's further evidence that Republicans cannot govern. His replacement will make the Republican Party look even worse. The speaker doesn't really matter much in the last year of a lame duck opposition party president.

If Boehner allowed 40+ pointless Obamacare repeal votes, how many show votes will his replacement allow on even more divisive issues? Boehner and Cantor are out. McCarthy's next in line and he's from Bakersfield, among the most conservative part of CA, but he's still not nearly as conservative as most Tea Party House members.

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread

Exactly. McCarthy doesn't have the heft or experience to manage the House. He will wilt or they'll tear him apart.

Lol. Rubio announced this at the Value Voters Summit and it got a standing ovation.
    Last edited by PhDeac; 09-25-2015 at 10:22 AM.

I don't think the Tea Party has the votes to put one of them in the Speakers position. But it probably means there is going to have to be some compromise with the Dems in order to elect a moderate Speaker.

The Tea Party will go along with whoever and then make his life hell.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL68 View Post
    Worse for which side? This is a disaster for the GOP assuming someone to the right of Boehner becomes speaker.