• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Boot is on a journey.

"Upon closer examination, it’s obvious that the history of modern conservative is permeated with racism, extremism, conspiracy-mongering, isolationism and know-nothingism. I disagree with progressives who argue that these disfigurations define the totality of conservatism; conservatives have also espoused high-minded principles that I still believe in, and the bigotry on the right appeared to be ameliorating in recent decades. But there has always been a dark underside to conservatism that I chose for most of my life to ignore. It’s amazing how little you can see when your eyes are closed!"

At some point he will realize what Lee Atwater explained in the 80s.

"You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger.""

Conservative "high-minded principles" are about one of four things:

1. "doing away with the racial problem one way or the other"
2. controlling women, especially women's bodies
3. helping the rich get richer
4. Maintaining the power to do all of the above

Name a "high-minded principle" and it goes back to one of those four things.

Boot is on a journey.

"Upon closer examination, it’s obvious that the history of modern conservative is permeated with racism, extremism, conspiracy-mongering, isolationism and know-nothingism. I disagree with progressives who argue that these disfigurations define the totality of conservatism; conservatives have also espoused high-minded principles that I still believe in, and the bigotry on the right appeared to be ameliorating in recent decades. But there has always been a dark underside to conservatism that I chose for most of my life to ignore. It’s amazing how little you can see when your eyes are closed!"

At some point he will realize what Lee Atwater explained in the 80s.

"You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." By 1968 you can't say "nigger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger.""

Conservative "high-minded principles" are about one of four things:

1. "doing away with the racial problem one way or the other"
2. controlling women, especially women's bodies
3. helping the rich get richer
4. Maintaining the power to do all of the above

Name a "high-minded principle" and it goes back to one of those four things.

What's really telling is that, since the rise of Trump, the GOP appears to be retrogressing back to the 1954 days. They're less and less interested in using code words now - they're going back to the raw stuff they were using over six decades ago.

Republicans used to love the sound of an angry mob. What happened?

In 1989, then-House Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dan Rostenkowski (D-Ill.) was chased down a Chicago street by a group of seniors angry about the cost of a new Medicare catastrophic health-insurance program. When one of them draped herself over the hood of his car, the 6-foot-4 congressman escaped by dashing through a gas station.

That doesn't sound very civil.

Do you guys ever get tired of sitting in this little circle and jerking each other off? You should really try exiting your weird little echo chamber sometime, the degree to which you’re all reinforcing each other’s increasingly delusional and fringe beliefs is kind of hilarious.

Do you guys ever get tired of sitting in this little circle and jerking each other off? You should really try exiting your weird little echo chamber sometime, the degree to which you’re all reinforcing each other’s increasingly delusional and fringe beliefs is kind of hilarious.

1) Please explain how any Tunnels poster (literally anyone, I'm being serious) is delusional and/or has fringe beliefs. I'll make it slightly harder and disallow Lectro, sailor, moonz, GrabsTurdsBare, Angus, and whoever that poster who has negative 1000 rep from your analysis.

2) Define our echo chamber. Who in here is merely parroting talking points from partisan media outlets? What talking points are being reinforced? I feel like even among the sane posters on the Tunnels, there is a pretty wide variety of opinions and disagreements, even just between the very liberal section.

3) No, I do not ever get tired of jerking off.

Oh great another wonderful drop-in from a RW poster that knows nothing.

This happened shortly after the "mob Democrats" language was added to the right's anger and fear narrative this week.

Conservatives have done a great job conflating anti-Semitism with not supporting Israel 100%.

Conservatives have done a great job conflating anti-Semitism with not supporting Israel 100%.
Conservatives like: Chuck Schumer, Joe Biden, Joe Manchin, Sherrod Brown, Ben Cardin, Kirsten Gillibrand, Steny Hoyer, Ted Lieu, Adam Schiff, Andrew Cuomo...

Back