• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Oh, definitely, but I wouldn’t say it’s mainstream evangelicalism (although evangelicalism in the US definitely props up white supremacy)

I don't think it's mainstream evangelical, but it is definitely a faction of it. I was just wondering how much of the drive of some "pro-life" GOP pols (many of whom are conservative Christians) to essentially force women to have kids in places like Ohio is tied to the notion of having more white babies. They'd never say it publicly, of course. While I would hope that a majority of GOP pols aren't thinking this way, I'd bet that some of them privately are, or at least their supporters. It's certainly been discussed in lots of right-wing websites and journals, such as the talk that whites are committing "race suicide" by having such a low birth rate.

Haven't read the Ohio one, but most anti-abortion bills would disproportionately force women of color to have kids. White women are more likely to have the resources to get one across a state line. (It's entirely possible that the Ohio GOP doesn't know this).

I’m sure they don’t know. Anti-abortion bills would increase the population of people Republicans hate the most, single moms on public assistance and black men from single parent homes.

I’m pretty confident that most pro-lifers are sincere in their beliefs. The folks they elect are often just very exploitive of that sincerity.

I’m pretty confident that most pro-lifers are sincere in their beliefs. The folks they elect are often just very exploitive of that sincerity.

They’re sincere but they haven’t thought through the implications of acting on their beliefs.

Isn't there a movement among some white Evangelicals to require white women have as many kids as possible, to keep up the white population? I think one expression of this idea is the Quiverfull movement, like the Duggars. I've read some articles over the last decade that argue that at least some of the opposition to abortion lies in the notion that white women have a "responsibility" to pop out white kids to save the race, or something along those lines. I wonder how much of the opposition to abortion lies in this notion, especially given that Ohio has a larger percentage of whites than do many other large states.

No doubt white supremacists would try to latch on to quiverfull given that the adherents seem to be mostly white. But as far as i know the idea is just for Christians to have big families because that's seen as favored in the Bible and helpful for saving more souls. I know people who more or less subscribed to this ideology until they had a few kids, realized how hard it was, and backed off.

At the risk of making this entire thread about women's reproductive rights (though with the direction the GOP has taken in the last few decades, that's basically the only issue they care about), small victory in Mississippi today. The opinion is pretty great:

Alyssa’s picture looks like a campaign poster.

Good read on the CA Republican “intellectual” scene.

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/19/1784...xdotcom&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

I just saw a bunch of people who are against people who aren’t like them. They don’t have any real ideas how to make CA a better place to live for everybody. Just hate.

And they clearly like living in CA. They could easily close up shop and move to one of many 90% white red areas of red states. All they need is a Wi-fi connection to write in their blogs.

But they won’t. Because deep down they like California.

It took a last minute boost of enthusiasm in the GOP to not get blown out even more. They need to hope there is a significant number of people who will show up for Trump who didn’t show up for House/Senate/Governor.

It took a last minute boost of enthusiasm in the GOP to not get blown out even more. They need to hope there is a significant number of people who will show up for Trump who didn’t show up for House/Senate/Governor.

It took ridiculous claims of a Mexican invasion and deploying 6000 troops to the southern border to try and keep Ted Cruz’s seat.

If Democrats ever figure out how to call out Republicans on this last minute BS, they’ll be in business.

If Democrats ever figure out how to call out Republicans on this last minute BS, they’ll be in business.

Republicans figured out that it worked, so I wouldn’t see the caravan stunt as a reaction so much as a strategy. You’ll see escalation of it in 2020. That’s really scary.

It’s a strategy they’ve been using the last few elections. Democrats just treat the lies and outrage as silly lies and assume the truth will win out.

Back