Page 14 of 233 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464114 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 4652

Thread: Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy

  1. #261
    Quote Originally Posted by FuckmouthedRube View Post
    Curious if and how Fox will evolve. Karl Rove and George Will are about as GOP establishment as it gets and they are still regularly featured on Fox. They got rid of Palin and haven't embraced Trump, Carson, and Cruz.
    Has the time come for Glenn Beck?

  2. #262
    Quote Originally Posted by WFFaithful View Post
    Has the time come for Glenn Beck?
    Or Michele Bachmann? Much bigger pay days when the opposition is in power.

  3. #263
    It is funny how near the end he tries to use data and statistics from the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine to try and prove a point to a bunch of people that hate science and are the absolute best at ignoring data when it contradicts the baseless things they believe in.

  4. #264
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    40,890
    Quote Originally Posted by FuckmouthedRube View Post
    Curious if and how Fox will evolve.

  5. #265
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    Well that's what gerrymandering (safe districts), no earmarks, and spreading ignorance will do. The chickens have come home to roost.
    More should be made of this as a root cause of our Congressional disaster. The reason you have nutjobs in Congress is because it's been essentially preordained that a) they'll never be challenged in an election, and b) they not only don't need to be moderate, but in many cases, are ENCOURAGED to be extreme by their vocal, voting, equally nutjob constituents.

  6. #266
    Quote Originally Posted by CantStandYa View Post
    More should be made of this as a root cause of our Congressional disaster. The reason you have nutjobs in Congress is because it's been essentially preordained that a) they'll never be challenged in an election, and b) they not only don't need to be moderate, but in many cases, are ENCOURAGED to be extreme by their vocal, voting, equally nutjob constituents.
    I agree 100%, but how do we fix the problem?

  7. #267
    Quote Originally Posted by bym051d View Post
    I agree 100%, but how do we fix the problem?
    Proportional rep or multi-member districts.

  8. #268
    Quote Originally Posted by TuffaloDeac10 View Post
    Proportional rep or multi-member districts.
    But you can't change the law without the legislatures agreeing. Both parties want to be gerrymandered in their own favor.

  9. #269
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    102,986
    Quote Originally Posted by bym051d View Post
    But you can't change the law without the legislatures agreeing. Both parties want to be gerrymandered in their own favor.
    Gerrymandering hasn't really been a Democrat thing aside from majority minority districts that benefit Republicans.

    The fixes are relatively simple. Getting legislatures to give up the power to draw districts is the hardest part.

  10. #270
    The logical answer is to have a central body draw all districts based on relevant factors like per capita population, etc.

    The practical answer is it will never be fixed and probably will only get worse.

    It would be equally hilarious and sad to see some of these districts with an overlay of race and income:

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/w...nal-districts/

  11. #271

  12. #272
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    102,986
    Know your party

    I get the feeling that Brooks has spent so much time over the last 8 years defending conservatives that he didn't realize that they were actually as bad as people told him they were.

  13. #273
    Steve Lepore ProbationDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Posts
    1,273
    Quote Originally Posted by CantStandYa View Post
    More should be made of this as a root cause of our Congressional disaster. The reason you have nutjobs in Congress is because it's been essentially preordained that a) they'll never be challenged in an election, and b) they not only don't need to be moderate, but in many cases, are ENCOURAGED to be extreme by their vocal, voting, equally nutjob constituents.
    Bingo!
    Jeff [name redacted]:Sock changer

  14. #274
    A Young Go-Hard
    myDeaconmyhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    26,235
    Quote Originally Posted by bym051d View Post
    But you can't change the law without the legislatures agreeing. Both parties want to be gerrymandered in their own favor.
    Do you believe that Democrats need to gerrymander the districts in their favor? Seems like geographically proportional districts would favor Dems anyway.
    Draxx them sklounst

  15. #275
    Quote Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
    Do you believe that Democrats need to gerrymander the districts in their favor? Seems like geographically proportional districts would favor Dems anyway.
    No. Compact districts that don't divide counties/cities slightly favor the GOP because Democratic voters pack themselves into urban areas. Not that that effect explains say, the PA, OH, or NC maps.

    Democrats have absolutely gerrymandered MD by slicing up the Baltimore metro and DC suburbs so that 7 of the state's 8 districts contain some of Baltimore, Montgomery, or PG county.

  16. #276
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    102,986
    Well some urban areas would need to be split along city/county lines or census tracks or zip codes because of the large population.

    I just think districting should simply try to adhere to existing city and county boundaries as much as possible while keeping the necessary population.

  17. #277
    A Young Go-Hard
    myDeaconmyhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    26,235
    Quote Originally Posted by TuffaloDeac10 View Post
    No. Compact districts that don't divide counties/cities slightly favor the GOP because Democratic voters pack themselves into urban areas. Not that that effect explains say, the PA, OH, or NC maps.

    Democrats have absolutely gerrymandered MD by slicing up the Baltimore metro and DC suburbs so that 7 of the state's 8 districts contain some of Baltimore, Montgomery, or PG county.
    I've read the Guardian articles too. All of their mathematical presumptions are based on the small sample size of un-gerrymandered states/districts. There are enough metro areas with sprawl, and populated unversity/tech centers to make nearly every red state purple. These areas are either being isolated and chained together, or spliced up in Republican gerrymandering. Democratic gerrymandering is an exception, and in Maryland's case it's produced 1 extra dem representative. Republican State gerrymandering has produced nearly 10 extra republican reps from Texas and Wisconsin alone.
    Last edited by myDeaconmyhand; 10-13-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    Draxx them sklounst

  18. #278
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    102,986
    They should be chained together. They live in the same place and face similar issues.

  19. #279
    A Young Go-Hard
    myDeaconmyhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Peters Creek
    Posts
    26,235
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    They should be chained together. They live in the same place and face similar issues.
    You think urban Winston and urban Charlotte should share a congressional district?
    Draxx them sklounst

  20. #280
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    102,986

    Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by myDeaconmyhand View Post
    You think urban Winston and urban Charlotte should share a congressional district?
    Why? They're in completely different parts of the state. That's the problem we want to fix. Cities and counties should only be big if they're too big by population for one district.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •