• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

“The resolution was written over the weekend in a collaboration between staffers from the offices of Nancy Pelosi, Steny Hoyer Eliot Engel and Jerry Nadler, though one aid said the text hadn't been finalized, and another aid no final decisions about the measure had been made.

Omar was first accused of using an anti-semitic trope in a now-deleted tweet about pro-Israel money in US politics. During the fallout from that tweet, Omar was widely condemned by Republicans and Democrats, and President Trump even demanded that she resign. In a second incident, Omar tweeted on Sunday about needing to "pledge allegiance" to Israel to serve in Congress.”

Next to Devin Nunes the last person calling anything a kangaroo court should be Jim Jordan. The fact he's still in Congress shows the immorality of the GOP.

So...Jordan is on record indicating a belief that a president has obstructed justice should lead to impeachment.

It's weird how anti-Semitism backlashes only appear when someone is discussing Israel. As for Jordan, him and his supporters are probably about a martini away from saying something like "this is why we shouldn't let in refugees"-assuming it hasn't happened already.

Steyer is a billionaire. I think Jordan is on fairly safe footing using a $ in his name.

Steyer is a billionaire. I think Jordan is on fairly safe footing using a $ in his name.

Glad you brought this up. AIPAC is a lobbying organization that puts lots of money towards promoting pro-Israel policies. Omar referred to this by citing a rap lyric "It's all about the Benjamins." That was considered CLEARLY anti-Semitic by the GOP. Jim Jordan refers to a Jewish billionaire by name, but changes his initial to a dollar sign. This is seen as incidental and clearly not related to him being Jewish. This is not the only time that this has happened from GOP politicians. (See also: Soros, George)

How do you distinguish these two cases?

Because Steyer has a net worth of about $1.6 billion and he's actively and unapologetically using his wealth in an attmpt to influence our politics. I don't think it's wrong to call out the influence of money in politics and Omar wasn't necessarly being anti-semitic in doing so. If you read her apology and notice her continuing actions, you may note that she doesn't really think so either. Of course it's a fine line wrt Jewish stereotypes but I don't look at criticizing $heldon Adelson's outsized influence on Republican politics as being anti-semitic.

Because Steyer has a net worth of about $1.6 billion and he's actively and unapologetically using his wealth in an attmpt to influence our politics. I don't think it's wrong to call out the influence of money in politics and Omar wasn't necessarly being anti-semitic in doing so. If you read her apology and notice her continuing actions, you may note that she doesn't really think so either. Of course it's a fine line wrt Jewish stereotypes but I don't look at criticizing $heldon Adelson's outsized influence on Republican politics as being anti-semitic.

Its basically all or nothing. I don't think either Omar or Jordan is being intentionally anti-semitic. But since Brad and whatabout were so certain than Omar's position was anti-semitic, they need to clip clop over here with some condemnation.

Let's not forget that after McCarthy tweeted about Soros and Steyer buying the election, Cesar Sayoc, who was an anti-semite, sent mail bombs to their homes. McCarthy and and Jordan know exactly what they are doing. The outrage over Ilhan's recent tweets is a clear, racist double standard.

Glad you brought this up. AIPAC is a lobbying organization that puts lots of money towards promoting pro-Israel policies. Omar referred to this by citing a rap lyric "It's all about the Benjamins." That was considered CLEARLY anti-Semitic by the GOP. Jim Jordan refers to a Jewish billionaire by name, but changes his initial to a dollar sign. This is seen as incidental and clearly not related to him being Jewish. This is not the only time that this has happened from GOP politicians. (See also: Soros, George)

Because Republicans don't call out racism and bigotry, the Dems shouldn't?

Is Soros Jewish though? My understanding is that he definitely doesn't practice, and there was that whole Nazi corroboration thing when he was a teenager.

Is Soros Jewish though? My understanding is that he definitely doesn't practice, and there was that whole Nazi corroboration thing when he was a teenager.

How old was George Soros during the Holocaust, Whatamount?

Must all Jews practice to identify as Jews?

Anti-Semitic tropes abound on these here boards and Junebug stays silent. Outrageous!

Have any of you corroborated any Nazis lately ? Seems like a noble pursuit.

Back