• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

10 years is plenty of experience, particularly for an appellate position.

Also, I don’t remember the thread on Obama’s 39 year old appointee to a district judgeship, but maybe I missed it.

The fuck it is. Stop being disingenuous for the sake of your team.

ETA—I also clerked for a federal circuit judge for 2 years. I understand the job. She’ll be fine.

I'm sure you think so. I've handled plenty of appeals and think she will have no fucking idea what she is doing. She'll learn at some point (lord knows she will have enough time to train on the job), but she will spend a good while in the wilderness.

Of course, if I had my choice, no one could serve on an appellate bench at the state or federal level without first serving as a trial judge.

I'm sure you think so. I've handled plenty of appeals and think she will have no fucking idea what she is doing. She'll learn at some point (lord knows she will have enough time to train on the job), but she will spend a good while in the wilderness.

Of course, if I had my choice, no one could serve on an appellate bench at the state or federal level without first serving as a trial judge.

What will she have to do that she won’t know how to do?

Before law school, lol.

W&C doesn’t have 50 lawyers who clerked for a SCOTUS justice.

Not sure why this is funny. I worked with a bunch of attorneys there -- I know how good the firm is, and I know there are a ton of partners there (what, did she become a partner there a year ago?) that are so much more experienced and qualified than her. And, obviously, that's just one. I worked at an Amlaw 100 firm for 7 years after law school, and there were so many attorneys there more qualified and experienced than her. She's going to be a circuit court judge, and the ABA didn't even rate her as well qualified. I'm sure she's smart -- every attorney at Williams and Connolly is smart. The fact that she clerked for a SCOTUS judge does not make her qualified for the position. She got it with Thomas because she worked for a hate group and was part of the Federalist society. No one is buying your BS.

What will she have to do that she won’t know how to do?

Any attorney can figure it out -- pretty much any attorney is qualified. The question is, do we want the most qualified and best on the 2d highest court, or do we want the youngest and most extreme who are getting their position because they will be extreme activist judges for decades.

37 year olds with no experience make shitty judges. You know that as well. Especially on the Appellate Bench. And that doesn’t even touch on the fact that a non-NC resident has now taken a NC spot on the 4th circuit.

But, Go Deacs!

Lol. There have been 18 nominees since 1989 who have received not qualified ratings from the ABA. You'd probably even get a qualified rating. And this attorney couldn't even get a well qualified rating and is now a Circuit Court judge. Good job team Trump that you pretend you're not a part of but defend to the death on everything!

Last edited:
I’m not. She was near the top of her class at Duke. She clerked for Gorsuch, Sentelle, and Thomas. She was at W&C for about 9 years. She participated in 4 trials and scores of appeals.

Luttig was appointed when he was around 37, and with less practical experience than her, and he did just fine. You may have disagreed with his philosophy, but there is no disputing that he was a giant on the bench.

Being an appellate judge is easy if you are smart. It’s just like law school. I should know; I have several classmates from law school who are now federal appellate judges, one of whom is a good friend. It’s the trial bench where experience makes a difference.

Oh...wait...fuck duke...I don’t know what to do here.

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy

What special skills or experience should a nominee have? I’m not seeing why any lawyer couldn’t do it

What special skills or experience should a nominee have? I’m not seeing why any lawyer couldn’t do it

Really ? Maybe you should be replaced by anyone with a Florda teaching certificate then.

Rule against the pubs, obvi.

Lol. Her lack of experience is an issue, but it’s not the biggest issue. She interned for a hate group. In a sane era of America, that’s disqualifying for nomination, let alone confirmation. It’s not even slightly hidden anymore: the GOP is using Trump to get young unqualified extremists on the bench for 30-40 years. Society has moved on from the Jim Crow era, but the GOP is making damn sure that the judiciary does not.

Serious question Junebug: do you even care a little that these nominees are being found unqualified by the ABA and are still getting rammed through to the bench?

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy

Really ? Maybe you should be replaced by anyone with a Florda teaching certificate then.

Well then explain it to me. I’ve never seen an appellate judge do their thing so I’m asking. You’ve obviously see a professor teach so you know your post is BS.

Weird how nobody can answer a simple damn question about what it takes to be near the top of their profession.

A 37 year old Wake grad is going to be a circuit court judge. Surely some of you micro old lawyers can explain why she’s a better choice than you. What skills and experience does she have that you don’t?

Last edited:
She wasn’t rated unqualified. Do your homework.

I never said she was, I was making a general point. My issue with her, as per my post, was that she interned for a hate group and therefore she was unqualified in my opinion. The ABA qualification issues are more overarching.

So please respond to the question. I'll post it again for your convenience: Do you care that young, extremist nominees rated unqualified by the ABA are being rammed through the Senate to be put on the bench for 30-40 years?

Back