• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Any attorney can figure it out -- pretty much any attorney is qualified. The question is, do we want the most qualified and best on the 2d highest court, or do we want the youngest and most extreme who are getting their position because they will be extreme activist judges for decades.

Doesn't my definition of qualified depend upon whether I agree with their extremism?

Doesn't my definition of qualified depend upon whether I agree with their extremism?

Yep -- if your definition of qualified is to put David Duke on the court, then that is your definition of qualified. It's a dumb definition, but it's your very own definition.

So is this hate group worse than standing in front of a confederate flag or better?

I don’t view interning for ADF as disqualifying. They disagreed with the holding in Lawrence. So what? A lot of reasonable people did and still do. Plus, she was a freaking intern. It’s not like she was formulating strategy.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/alliance-defending-freedom

Founded by some 30 leaders of the Christian Right, the Alliance Defending Freedom is a legal advocacy and training group that has:

Supported the recriminalization of homosexuality in the U.S. and criminalization abroad
Defended state-sanctioned sterilization of trans people abroad
Linked homosexuality to pedophilia
Claims that a “homosexual agenda” will destroy Christianity and society
ADF also works to develop “religious liberty” legislation and case law that will allow the denial of goods and services to LGBT people on the basis of religion.

In Its Own Words
“The only surprise is the rapidity with which this degradation of our human dignity has occurred. It has occurred, with raging effect, and within twelve months, on the heels of government mandated recognition of same-sex ‘marriage’ – an oxymoronic institution if ever there was one. And, for its radical adherents, this has led to a deification of deviant sexual practices. It has further resulted in the inevitable and aggressive persecution of devout Christians who refuse to bow to the false god of sexual license.”

"When given the same choice the Supreme Court of the United States had in Lawrence vs. Texas, the Indian Court did the right thing. India chose to protect society at large rather than give in to a vocal minority of homosexual advocates. … America needs to take note that a country of 1.2 billion people has rejected the road towards same-sex marriage, and understood that these kinds of bad decisions in the long run will harm society."

—Benjamin Bull, executive director of ADF Global, on the recriminalization of homosexuality in India, 2013

“We mention the new promotion of pedophilia in the context of talking about the influence of homosexual behavior on college campuses, because, despite all objections to the contrary, the two are often intrinsically linked.”

I don’t think anyone who is rated U by the ABA should be a federal judge.

I don’t have a problem with a 37 year old appellate lawyer with her credentials, which includes 45 SCOTUS briefs to her name, being appointed as an appellate circuit judge. 37 is young, but she’s been out of law school for 12 years and this has been her career.

I don’t view interning for ADF as disqualifying. They disagreed with the holding in Lawrence. So what? A lot of reasonable people did and still do. Plus, she was a freaking intern. It’s not like she was formulating strategy.

Boiling the ADF down to "they disagreed with Lawrence" is like saying the KKK existed because they disagreed with Brown and Loving.

And you know just as well as many of us on here that there's a lot of options for internships while in law school, especially if you are at the top of your class at a school like Duke. She had the world at her fingertips and chose to work at an organization that believes LGBTQ people are "evil", that homosexuality is inextricably linked to pedophilia, and that society has degraded because it's now more difficult to discriminate against the LGBTQ community.

The great thing about being a donkey is that you just get to call a group that disagrees with you a “hate group” and, poof, you’ve made it so.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/group/alliance-defending-freedom

Founded by some 30 leaders of the Christian Right, the Alliance Defending Freedom is a legal advocacy and training group that has:

Supported the recriminalization of homosexuality in the U.S. and criminalization abroad
Defended state-sanctioned sterilization of trans people abroad
Linked homosexuality to pedophilia
Claims that a “homosexual agenda” will destroy Christianity and society
ADF also works to develop “religious liberty” legislation and case law that will allow the denial of goods and services to LGBT people on the basis of religion.

In Its Own Words
“The only surprise is the rapidity with which this degradation of our human dignity has occurred. It has occurred, with raging effect, and within twelve months, on the heels of government mandated recognition of same-sex ‘marriage’ – an oxymoronic institution if ever there was one. And, for its radical adherents, this has led to a deification of deviant sexual practices. It has further resulted in the inevitable and aggressive persecution of devout Christians who refuse to bow to the false god of sexual license.”

"When given the same choice the Supreme Court of the United States had in Lawrence vs. Texas, the Indian Court did the right thing. India chose to protect society at large rather than give in to a vocal minority of homosexual advocates. … America needs to take note that a country of 1.2 billion people has rejected the road towards same-sex marriage, and understood that these kinds of bad decisions in the long run will harm society."

—Benjamin Bull, executive director of ADF Global, on the recriminalization of homosexuality in India, 2013

“We mention the new promotion of pedophilia in the context of talking about the influence of homosexual behavior on college campuses, because, despite all objections to the contrary, the two are often intrinsically linked.”

*chefs kiss*

The great thing about being a donkey is that you just get to call a group that disagrees with you a “hate group” and, poof, you’ve made it so.

Yep. This is play #2 out of the lefty playbook immediately following the bread & butter #1 of "everyone who disagrees with me is an evil, racist, misogynist, and uneducated asshole".

Weird how nobody can answer a simple damn question about what it takes to be near the top of their profession.

A 37 year old Wake grad is going to be a circuit court judge. Surely some of you micro old lawyers can explain why she’s a better choice than you. What skills and experience does she have that you don’t?

i agree with you

Weird how nobody can answer a simple damn question about what it takes to be near the top of their profession.

A 37 year old Wake grad is going to be a circuit court judge. Surely some of you micro old lawyers can explain why she’s a better choice than you. What skills and experience does she have that you don’t?

I'm not a litigator and other attorneys on here may have different opinions, but I don't necessarily equate being a judge (generally speaking) with being at the top of the legal profession. Really good, successful trial attorneys, for example, remain attorneys and rarely become trial judges - part of that is that they'd have to take a substantial pay cut to become a judge, but part of that is that they use different skills, talents and temperaments trying cases than would be required to preside over and decide cases. Not all good attorneys, maybe not even most good attorneys, would make good judges. For example, most state court trial judges, at least around here, are by and large "promoted" to the bench as relatively inexperienced attorneys, usually having come through either the prosecuter's office or the public defender's office. Some of them then make their way up the ladder to become state appellate court judges, and fewer still on to become state supreme court judges. I'm sure some of them would have been excellent attorneys, but I certainly wouldn't assume that just because they ended up judges.

Federal court judges are a bit different in terms of how they get on the bench, but in my opinion the point stands. In a perfect world I, personally, would want the best and brightest legal minds (intellect, critical thinking skills, legal analysis, good writing skills) deciding appellate matters, to some extent regardless of their trial experience and certainly regardless of their personal beliefs or political persuasions, because their discipline and respect for the law would require them to be impartial in rendering their decisions. The whole nomination process has become so politicized it's just not possible for our stupid elected leaders to earnestly seek out these folks. Again, just my two cents.

You realize the list is SPLC’s characterization of ADF’s legal work, correct? I’m sure SPLC would call the dissents in Lawrence and Obergefell hate-based too.

Umm, those are direct quotes from ADF members

You realize the list is SPLC’s characterization of ADF’s legal work, correct? I’m sure SPLC would call the dissents in Lawrence and Obergefell hate-based too.

Jesus. Do you have any evidence that what the SPLC states about the group is untrue? You will literally defend everything.

If I had quotes from Shooshmoo saying "I'm a witch" and you claimed I was biased for saying Shooshmoo is a witch, people would think you're crazy.

Lawrence did not create a constitutional right to sodomy

Keep pretending you didn't see this hate speech.

I don’t have a clue where they are getting that ADF “defended state-sanctioned steriliazation.”

Ignorance is not a good excuse. It's in the fucking link Shoo posted.

With such divisive medical and psychological debates taking place over the nature of the treatment and diagnosis of transgenderism, it would be wholly inappropriate for this Court to make a decisive pronouncement which would strip member states of their role in determining the most proportionate and appropriate means of promoting public order, public health and morals under Article 8 of the Convention.

Oh, forgive me. I didn’t realize a donkey had declared this hate speech.

I guess the question is settled then. Opposition to Lawrence is hate speech.

I'm not a donkey moron. I'm also not a bigot.

Back