• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

I think "striking while the iron's hot" is the most true with Presidential politics. You never know what might happen 4, 8, 12 years from now. Ryan is angling for the spot but he absolutely can't say it publicly. I still think that the most likely scenario in the event of a brokered convention is a Cruz nomination.
That would be stunning. I know some of the establishment types that Trump pwned have endorsed him but he might be more hated than Trump and I think he's the only person that would actually do worse against Hillary than Trump. He's a lunatic, ultra-religious, and super creepy. If you're limited to Kasich, Cruz, and Trump, you've gotta go with One State Win Kasich I think.

Mississippi passed a new law allowing guns in churches. Governor pictured with a gun atop a Bible during the ceremonial signing. Your move, McCrory.

Aren't churches private establishments? How did the government regulate that before?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Aren't churches private establishments? How did the government regulate that before?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Guns were always allowed. The law allows for people to go to training and be certified with a new license that basically gives you the protections of a police officer if someone threatens you in a church. Basically more protection to shoot someone if they are deemed a threat.

So that's dangerous.

So that's dangerous.

Not really. In fact I think it is a good thing. It forces churches to think seriously about their safety protocols, and if someone is going to provide security, then it forces them to undergo safety training. Easter Sunday this year a kid walked into a large baptist church in memphis carrying a weapon. The church had a good plan (which most churches don't) and immediately approached the young man. They were able to disarm him (and his backpack full of weapons and ammo) without incident, and in large part it was because they had a trained security team that was a part of their congregation. The security chair was armed and knew his protocols and so no one (including the guy about to shoot everyone) was hurt.

This bill provides some safety for church member who discharge their firearm provided they are properly certified. Going through the certification process at least insures that the person carrying has exercised some critical thinking about his/her firearm. How would you say it is dangerous? Did you read the bill (I did) and find something? Seems to me proper training incentives are exactly what we want. Remember that anyone can carry in a church right now if they have a concealed license. What this bill does is offer increased protection for the gun owner IF he undergoes further training and testing. Seems like a fair trade and a good trade.

I don't even disagree with you, Wrangor, but there's something ironic about going to a church with armed guards. Pretty sure that's how Jesus would have wanted it.

How does the law "force" churches to do any of that?

So that's dangerous.

Reminds me of that rich guy in Oklahoma who gave a ton of money to the police department and was allowed to play cop. He ended up killing someone. I don't want more people essentially being deputized and given special protections to where they start to think they're a police officer. That's just a first impression based on what Wrangor's saying.

Reminds me of that rich guy in Oklahoma who gave a ton of money to the police department and was allowed to play cop. He ended up killing someone. I don't want more people essentially being deputized and given special protections to where they start to think they're a police officer. That's just a first impression based on what Wrangor's saying.

Reminds me of the early South Park episode where they're hunting and yell "he's coming right for us!" so you can shoot as many animals as you want.

Fair point. I would say that in Mississippi that the 'thinking I'm a police officer' feeling is already pretty rampant due to our rural identity.

I don't even disagree with you, Wrangor, but there's something ironic about going to a church with armed guards. Pretty sure that's how Jesus would have wanted it.

Not sure that is irony. We also have cameras in our church to prevent child predators (since usually it is someone you know that commits the act). I don't think Bible ever really addresses protecting ones family or elderly from a gun attack or from child predators. One of those things you kind of have to do the best you can in the times that we live. You certainly don't want anyone to die, and that is why it is best to be prepared and not naive about safety. I get what you are saying, but I think you are making a big leap of logic, and it certainly isn't irony. I would just call it is sin. We keep inventing better ways to destroy ourselves.

Wrangor, this is off topic, and feel free to not answer, but do you go to one of those giant churches (not sure if they have them in Mississippi) or a typical one?

23fbcc8f4dd4da9cec00ecde41b7cd48.jpg

Back