• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

If you're in Siler City, give this restaurant some business to stand up to the GOP.

[h=1]Racist letter threatening new Siler City soul food shop brings more customers[/h]
https://abc11.com/society/racist-le...soul-food-shop-brings-more-customers/5456304/

SILER CITY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Business at A & I's Chicken Shack was good and the future looked bright.

But when the owner of the black-owned business went to the mailbox this week, among the bills was a hand-delivered letter.

It was a racist screed filled with epithets and threats.

"Once I opened it and started reading the letter I got to maybe the second or third line and I took the letter and I told Ivan to read it because I started tearing up because it was making me angry," Andre Chaney told ABC11.

The "N" word" appears repeatedly in the note that claims white people in Siler City won't allow a black business to succeed.

At one point it reads, "...we are doing all we can to make America great again and when we re-elect our president it will be an all-out war against 'N's' like you."

It goes on to say "...leave town or we will help you."

I know this will not surprise most of the posters here, but a former FBI counterterrorism agent, Dave Gomez, told the Washington Post that "I think in many ways the FBI is hamstrung in trying to investigate the white supremacist movement like the old FBI would...There's some reluctance among agents to bring forth an investigation that targets what the president perceives as his base...It's a no-win situation for the FBI agent or supervisor."

He added that "Trump's repeated criticism of the FBI and its investigation into Russian election interference and collusion were [also] likely factors" as to why the FBI is reluctant to go after people that President Trump sees as part of his base. According to The Wall Street Journal, about 40% of the domestic terrorism cases the FBI is currently investigating involve racism.

In other news, right-wing mouthpiece Hugh Hewitt said on the roundtable on Meet the Press today that Democratic presidential candidates need to stop calling Trump a white supremacist, "because the vast majority of America does not believe and I do not believe the president is a white supremacist" (apparently Hugh has not seen the post-El Paso/Dayton shooting polls in which a clear majority say they do think that Trump is racist.) These guys will spin anything, and it's abundantly clear that guys like Hewitt, who initially opposed Trump in 2016, are now all aboard the Trump train for the full ride.

Link to Dave Gomez article: https://www.insider.com/ex-fbi-boss-agents-dont-want-to-target-trump-base-2019-8?utm_content=buffer48589&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer-bi&fbclid=IwAR3kwudgJtFN6wSmzakGK8zHc40g77I_Kq4okFJYmaQB0SfK-9ksr97QFo0

Last edited:
Could possibly go under the religious right thread, but I’ll put it here: In Virginia, 2 Churches Feel The Aftermath Of Trump's Racist Rhetoric.

Not far away, a sign posted in front of Friendship Baptist Church reads "AMERICA: LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT."

Pastor Earnie Lucas said he posted that message on his church sign several weeks ago. It was around the same time that President Trump tweeted an attack on four Democratic members of Congress — all women of color — saying they should "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested places from which they came."

Lucas, 85, is white and has been a pastor in this community for decades. He defends his sign and expresses anger about the response it has received online and in news reports.

"Don't talk to me about that flag out yonder, or that sign out yonder!" he thundered from the pulpit. "This is America! And I love America!"

Lucas asks if anyone in the small, all-white congregation is "from Yankee land." No one raises their hand.

"The letters that came from north of the Mason-Dixon Line, I am sorry to say, those folk don't know how to talk," Lucas said. "You're talking about some vile, wretched language. And where they told me to go, and how long to stay — they were filthy in their conversation."

Lucas said he has gotten threats of violence, even death, since putting up the sign. He also got letters of support, including some donations, from around the country.

Local media initially reported that several members of the congregation had staged a walkout in protest — or out of fear of the backlash. But last weekend, Lucas said most of the regulars had returned.

"I had no ill intent against anyone — around here or in the state of Virginia," Lucas said. "I was talking about people who have come over here illegally and want to tear the place up."

During the service, he mentioned the recent mass shooting in El Paso, Texas, that left 22 people dead. But afterward, he said he doesn't believe news reports that the white shooter was targeting Latinos. Lucas also said he does not believe analyses suggesting that undocumented immigrants are less likely to commit violent crimes than others living in the United States.

Lucas doesn't see his words, or the president's, as racist.

"I think this idea of racism has been blown out of proportion," Lucas said. "I really do. We've got some sorry people, black and white ... but I don't pay any attention to that. If a man comes to me and behaves himself, we get along good together, I'll go to bat for him, any way I can."

One of Lucas' church members, Dianne Cook, 69, said she agrees with the message on her church sign, and with her pastor. She said Trump was right to criticize the four Democratic congresswomen, who include the first two Muslim women elected to Congress.

"Where'd their parents come from? Are they Americans?" Cook asked. "Just because she was born in America does not make her American."

"Doesn't it?" I asked. "Doesn't it legally, though, under the Constitution?"

"Under the Constitution, yes," Cook acknowledged, then paused. "But I don't know how to express that, to make you understand that I wish she, I wish they, well — I don't want any Muslims in America."...

Yep, a guy who BKed tens of millions of invested dollars is such a great choice.

"I haven’t said anything publicly, but I’m considering going back to Arizona and running for a congressional seat, one of the blue ones," he said Sunday. "It’s something that my wife and I have talked about, and she’s now becoming more and more pumped at the potential. Obviously, we’re still quite a few discussions away, but yeah, it’s something we’re absolutely considering."

"one of the blue ones"

Link

"one of the blue ones"

Link

Arizona is trending more blue (or at least purple) lately, so if he runs for a House seat in one of the "blue ones" he may find himself facing more of a challenge than he thinks, or wants. He'd be better off running for a House seat in one of the safer "red ones" that have been gerrymandered to favor Republicans. It's clear that he wants no part of any congressional run in MA, given how blue that state is.

Curt Schilling is a giant piece of shit

Although if you want to make the Biblical case of creationism, then no, no there wouldn’t.

EBkz1YgXYAAGOA5

Back