Page 228 of 240 FirstFirst ... 128178218223224225226227228229230231232233238 ... LastLast
Results 4,541 to 4,560 of 4789

Thread: Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Embracing Trumpism/White Supremacy

Quote Originally Posted by AsesinoDeTortugas View Post
    I’m not arguing about intent. You say original meaning matters. I’m saying that who the writer is and what they believe in shapes what words are used and therefore what meaning a law has.

But it’s beside the point, you’ll never back down from originalism. But at the end of the day, even Scalia dint apply originalism consistently. No court ever has. It’s a terrible interpretative philosophy that appeals to a certain subgroup of legal minds that don’t want to bother with critical thinking.
    Lol

You just want the court to have the flexibility to impose your preferred policy choices under the guise of “interpretation.” I get it. I would like that too. But I believe that a predictable interpretive method is a better way to do law than just holding the constitution says what I want it to say.

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug View Post
    Lol

You just want the court to have the flexibility to impose your preferred policy choices under the guise of “interpretation.” I get it. I would like that too. But I believe that a predictable interpretive method is a better way to do law than just holding the constitution says what I want it to say.
    This coming from someone whose understanding of 2A completely ignores a well-regulated militia.

Every time Junebug posts I think of this:

https://www.theonion.com/jurispruden...ity-1819586446

Rusty Larue
    Y’all, if we don’t use originalism, people will marry furniture. Or something like that.

It’s science.

Dickie Hemric
    if they don't have a right to own a gun, what are they gonna show up with to serve in the militia, a club?

the problem for the gun-o-phobes is that if you didn't have a gun, you couldn't serve in the militia

that is, private gun ownership pre-supposed serving in the militia

Dickie Hemric
    in short, the right of gun ownership preceded - as a matter of necessity - and was a precondition for serving in the militia

Quote Originally Posted by sailordeac View Post
    if they don't have a right to own a gun, what are they gonna show up with to serve in the militia, a club?

the problem for the gun-o-phobes is that if you didn't have a gun, you couldn't serve in the militia

that is, private gun ownership pre-supposed serving in the militia
    He said “Gun-o-phobes” as if it’s unreasonable to be scared of people with guns.

So which well-regulated militia are current gun owners joining?

Dickie Hemric
    quit putting the cart before the horse, the Constitutional right to gun ownership preceded participation in a militia, and not the other way around; the Constitutional right to gun ownership was not based on participation in a militia, rather participating in a militia was based on the right to have a gun

You said gun ownership preceded participation in a militia, so which militias are gun owners participating in today?

Quote Originally Posted by sailordeac View Post
    quit putting the cart before the horse, the Constitutional right to gun ownership preceded participation in a militia, and not the other way around; the Constitutional right to gun ownership was not based on participation in a militia, rather participating in a militia was based on the right to have a gun
    I mean, the constitution literally put the militia before the gun right. The right to have a gun is preceded by the need to have a militia to secure the state, and the militia was preceded by the need for regulation and oversight of the militia.
    Birds are real.

Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    You said gun ownership preceded participation in a militia, so which militias are gun owners participating in today?
    I’m confused if we’re going by the words or the intent.

Regarding gun ownership, it's almost as if the Framers, when they were writing the Constitution in the late 1780s, had no way of knowing that in the future the single-shot musket would be replaced by semiautomatic rifles that could kill dozens of people within a few minutes at most. Being rather bright fellows, I would imagine that had they known, they would certainly have done the logical, common sense thing and clarified in the Second Amendment that such weapons were to be illegal for civilian use. But since they didn't, it's left to us to interpret the Second Amendment based on the vast changes in technology and society over the last 230 years or so. Too bad we can't do that, because we still have to follow the exact wording of men who wrote a document designed for an overwhelmingly rural eighteenth-century society, and then made it exceptionally difficult to revise or change, although the nation itself keeps changing in many different ways all the time.

Actually they made it pretty easy to change. Future leaders made it more difficult to change by adding more states and dividing them in weird ways to the point that we went from 13 to 50. Society became more politically polarized making it difficult to meet the necessary thresholds to add amendments.

Memo reveals a House Republican strategy on shootings: downplay white nationalism, blame left

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...sm-blame-left/

Quote Originally Posted by WFFaithful View Post
    Memo reveals a House Republican strategy on everything: downplay white nationalism, blame left

https://www.tampabay.com/florida-pol...sm-blame-left/
    Fixed for accuracy.

Not enough to round them up in camps and separate parents from children, we'll now ensure more of them die from preventable diseases! https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/20/the-...r&par=sharebar

oh and let's add indefinite detainment:

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever RJKarl's Avatar
    Lawsuits are already being planned.

There is another Executive Order being seriously considered that will allow states to deny entry for refugees.

Is there any end to Trump and Miller bigotry?

DOJ condemns white nationalist content sent to immigration court employees

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has acknowledged it made a mistake by sending a link to a white nationalist blog in an email sent to immigration court employees this week.

A spokesperson for the agency's Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR) said that the agency had included the link mistakenly. The link, which directed users to the website VDare, contained negative and anti-Semitic comments about sitting immigration judges.
    oops?