• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

I heard Obama's rationale for his veto just from casually listening to NPR this week. How can Ryan and McConnell claim they didn't understand Obama's case when that's their job.

Blaming Obama when they overrode the veto is beyond the pale.

I get why Congress voted for the bill. I get why the White House is against it. Obama vetoed it. He can't be blamed.

Blaming Obama when they overrode the veto is beyond the pale.

I get why Congress voted for the bill. I get why the White House is against it. Obama vetoed it. He can't be blamed.

The base will eat it up though.

"“I would like to think there’s a way we can fix so that our service members do not have legal problems overseas while still protecting the rights of the 9/11 victims,” Ryan told reporters Thursday, one day after his chamber voted 348-77 to override the veto."

The problem is that's not possible nor is it possible to stop Iraqis or others from suing the US government, contractors or even companies that provide arms to the US government.

This insane bill opens GIS, US businesses and US citizens to a wide array of lawsuits around the world.

How is the Congressional leadership full of such clowns? These are supposed to be our most capable elected leaders.

Congress is a clown show. So clowns sign up for it.

It would be very cool if the Saudi government would sue all those who voted for this for breaking international law. :)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ya...eds-gay-marriage-155131237.html?client=safari

Alabama's Chief Justice Roy Moore gets shut down again. Guessing Alabama's judiciary isn't super liberal and even they want nothing to do with Moore. Corporate America and pro and college sports have shunned NC over HB2. Pence and Cruz want to build their 2020 campaigns around their loopy anti-LGBT crusade. Combine this with 60+ pointless Obamacare repeal votes and a veto override without a plan and that's the sorry state of Lincoln's and Eisenhower's party. At least they nominated a steady POTUS to make America great again.

Boehner was effectively removed as Speaker by the Freedom Caucus, roughly 45 Tea Party members. GOP has a 30 seat majority in the House. Unlikely that Ryan loses in his district, but likely GOP loses House seats, but not their majority. Also likely that the seats 'Pubs lose will be in moderate swing districts, not Freedom Caucus seats. Net/net is that 45 Tea Party clowns will have even more power in a smaller GOP majority. Ryan will take a lot of shit for Trump's loss. Even if he wanted to remain Speaker, may not get re-elected without Dem votes. Either Dems cut a deal with Ryan or next Speaker is a hardcore Tea Bagger who will make it miserable for the Senate (Dem or GOP) and HRC (duh!). Trump's really fucked the GOP and two of the three branches of government.

Ryan is going to position himself for 2020 by making it difficult for Hillary. The Dems should let the Republicans turn on him.

Polk was the last Speaker who later became President. Newt and Gephart didn't even make it out of the primaries. Pretty predictable the GOP will shut down the government at least once during HRC's first two years. Would be entirely dependent on the House if Dems control the Senate. Ryan would take a lot of shit.

If Ryan is serious about 2020, he probably shouldn't run for Speaker again. A loss weakens him and he probably doesn't want to be associated with the chucklehead fucks in the next GOP House. Won't run against Walker in 2018 and timing wouldn't work for 2020 any way. Has a serious friendly and unfriendly minefield between now and 2020.

I don't think anyone has ever come out of the house as a congressman to be President and I am pretty sure Ryan will not be the first. Were it me and I had serious executive aspirations, I'd run for Walker's Governorship and take that. Although were he to lose, his political career is over.

I don't think anyone has ever come out of the house as a congressman to be President and I am pretty sure Ryan will not be the first. Were it me and I had serious executive aspirations, I'd run for Walker's Governorship and take that. Although were he to lose, his political career is over.

You mean directly? Ford and HW Bush both were congressmen.

Back