• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

In response to Mitt Romney's recent tweet criticizing Trump for refusing to concede, Scott Baio fired off:

"Hey @MittRomney, beautiful golf courses in Utah...maybe I'll move there, play a few rounds and unseat you. P.S. My wife is still waiting for her $2600 refund. Remember your wife canceled that Beverly Hills political luncheon fundraiser? But your campaign kept the money."

Senator Chachi? Say it ain't so!

It’s quite possible a Trump supporter will primary Romney in 2024.

+/- on number of those Senators who come out to pledge allegiance to Trump now? 15?

Seems like 21 + democrats would have been enough for removal by impeachment. That actual makes those 21 probably worse than the ones that are straight up no apology Trump bootlickers.

Seems like 21 + democrats would have been enough for removal by impeachment. That actual makes those 21 probably worse than the ones that are straight up no apology Trump bootlickers.

Impeachment requires 67 votes. 45+2+21=68.

Say Trump was removed and Pence installed. Maybe Pence has a semi-coherent COVID response (I'm skeptical due to his handling of an HIV outbreak in Indiana, but whatever) and deaths are let's say half of what they currently are. He probably sails to election. Would 3 years of Trump + 5 of Pence (minimum) be better or worse than our 4 years of Trump? I hate that this feels like a trolley problem.

Say Trump was removed and Pence installed. Maybe Pence has a semi-coherent COVID response (I'm skeptical due to his handling of an HIV outbreak in Indiana, but whatever) and deaths are let's say half of what they currently are. He probably sails to election. Would 3 years of Trump + 5 of Pence (minimum) be better or worse than our 4 years of Trump? I hate that this feels like a trolley problem.

I highly doubt Pence could turn out 70+ million people to vote for him at the top of the ticket. He has the charisma of a dry piece of toast.

There is no way pence gets 70m people to vote for him. Even the trumpublicans that would come out in large numbers would not have overcome his personality deficiencies. His extremely religious views would have gotten him in trouble as well. He was run outta town in Indiana. His coronavirus response could not have been worse and would have been much better. Don't forget his hiv response was based on his religious views, that drugs are a personal failing rather than public health problem, and hiv "being a gay disease" would not have been factors. He does still hate science through.

Covid response of wearing masks fits perfectly into the "do to others as you would have them do to you."

I also doubt he'd turn out 80 million to vote against him, but sure, I can accept that he wouldn't walk to election. Then to shift the goalpost slightly, what I'm asking is would you trade >125,000 lives and subversion of our political system for [potentially] 5 or 9 years of Pence. If it's not worth entertaining, I won't pursue it any further.

I also doubt he'd turn out 80 million to vote against him, but sure, I can accept that he wouldn't walk to election. Then to shift the goalpost slightly, what I'm asking is would you trade >125,000 lives and subversion of our political system for [potentially] 5 or 9 years of Pence. If it's not worth entertaining, I won't pursue it any further.

Pence, being a republican, might have enabled the next Trump for 8 years after he left office. All of the GOP for 20 years built to Trump, and Pence would continue that.

There is no way pence gets 70m people to vote for him. Even the trumpublicans that would come out in large numbers would not have overcome his personality deficiencies. His extremely religious views would have gotten him in trouble as well. He was run outta town in Indiana. His coronavirus response could not have been worse and would have been much better. Don't forget his hiv response was based on his religious views, that drugs are a personal failing rather than public health problem, and hiv "being a gay disease" would not have been factors. He does still hate science through.

I do think a possible weakness for the GOP moving forward may their inability to find anyone who can get their base out to vote like Trump. Could a Tom Cotton or Nikki Haley or Ted Cruz or Josh Hawley get 73-74 million people out to vote for them the way Trump did? Maybe, but I'm guessing not. America has seen a good many other demagogues over the years (Huey Long, Joe McCarthy, George Wallace, etc.), and one thing that nearly all of them had in common is that when they fell from power they had no successors, or at least none that could generate anything like the same level of enthusiasm and support and voter turnout that the original did. Hopefully Trump follows that pattern.

Last edited:
I do think a possible weakness for the GOP moving forward may their inability to find anyone who can get their base out to vote like Trump. Could a Tom Cotton or Nikki Haley or Ted Cruz or Josh Hawley get 73-74 million people out to vote for them the way Trump did? Maybe, but I'm guessing not. America has seen a good many other demagogues over the years (Huey Long, Joe McCarthy, George Wallace, etc.), and one thing that nearly all of them had in common is that when they fell from power they had no successors, or at least none that could generate anything like the same level of enthusiasm and support and voter turnout that the original did. Hopefully Trump follows that pattern.

It's right wing media that generates the enthusiasm. Trump's got some charisma but he's got a ton of warts too. They're all out there thinking they need to join militias to save America. If anything we've learned the past few elections, they come out and vote. I'm not counting on them staying home on election day... ever. And are we stuck trotting out 82 year old Biden?

The 80 million vote man.

Back