• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Perceptive analysis of how the GOP Iran stunt may backfire on them: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/03/tom-cotton-may-just-have-undermined-his-own-cause/387382/

To keep up the bite of sanctions on Iran, we need partners. Right now China and Russia, among others, are helping. If they decide that it's the US who caused negotiations to break down (and whether it's the Congress or Obama or Kerry is not relevant to that analysis), they may decide not to cooperate with the sanctions regime.

So if China or Russia or even some Euros lose their stomach for sanctions, what's the GOP/Bibi end game for disarming Iran? A war is the only solution left on the table.

If the GOP wants to have a war with Iran, they need to just go ahead and say that, own it, and explain how they are going to pay for it and how they plan to win it. Instead they hide behind Bibi and a lot of pretty words about getting tough but refuse to acknowledge the inevitable end result of their "no negotiations, abject surrender by Iran" rhetoric.

GOP foreign and domestic policy are motivated by a desire to see Obama fail. That's it.

So the Administration is upset that another branch is exceeding the scope of its Constitutional authority? Imagine that.

To send that letter shows a blatant disregard for the separation of powers. There is no excusing it whatsoever.

The GOP just hates Obama so much and I literally can't wrap my head around why. I wasn't a Bush fan but I wasn't going to froth at the mouth about literally any and every thing he did. It's just absurd at this point. I've got Republican friends asking me why I think the GOP hates Obama so much.

It's funny to watch you all flip your lids over this. The outrage was suspiciously absent when the Dems were getting chummy with the commies back in the day and lambasting Reagan over using his foreign policy powers in Iran-Contra, and it was absolutely missing when all the Democrats started making shit up about George Bush so that their voting base would forgive their votes in favor of the Iraq War.

Get over yourselves. Negotiating with a terrorist state like Iran is bound to get people in a tizzy. Plus the letter isn't factually incorrect. The President enjoys wide latitude to conduct foreign policy and negotiations. That doesn't mean the next President has to give a shit, even though he often does. Even treaties, which require Senate ratification, can be withdrawn from.

Jesus. It doesn't matter what's in the letter dude, the Congress is not supposed to be sending letters to foreign nations period regarding active negotiations. They're sure as hell not supposed to be sending it if their position is 180 out from the president.

So the Administration is upset that another branch is exceeding the scope of its Constitutional authority? Imagine that.

If I'm Obama I take my chances with both his issues and Congress' issues going to the judiciary.

What does the GOP even want to accomplish at this point? Serious question. Do they even know?

To send that letter shows a blatant disregard for the separation of powers. There is no excusing it whatsoever.

The GOP just hates Obama so much and I literally can't wrap my head around why. I wasn't a Bush fan but I wasn't going to froth at the mouth about literally any and every thing he did. It's just absurd at this point. I've got Republican friends asking me why I think the GOP hates Obama so much.

Polarization of politics withe some race and Muslim fear thrown in

What does the GOP even want to accomplish at this point? Serious question. Do they even know?

Fuck over the black dude in the WHITE house?

I mean, it is pretty obvious that race is the motivator at this point, right? We can stop kidding ourselves.

They just tried to embolden IRAN during diplomatic negotiations. What. The. Fuck.

This should really be a separate thread.

There are a lot of issues besides that letter. For example: should Iran be allowed to become a nuclear state?

Ok... That's a way better boards name origin story than what I had guessed, that Junebug was the name of Amy Adams' stillborn baby from the movie of the same name filmed in Pfafftown and Winston-Salem. :noidea:

I just did some googling and was stunned to find that the guy behind this letter went to Harvard undergrad and law school. I'm not going to lie, this was unexpected. So this guy is either really smart in some areas and really dumb in others (Herman Cain) or he is just a short-sighted politician playing to his base for political gain.

why was it unexpected? do you think everybody at Harvard is some type of genius?

Back