• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

nice to see Wall Street Donnie and his cronies in Congress bend over the little guy and give them a good reaming.

Other fun things I saw this morning, for the economy we have added the fewest jobs through 9 months since 2010. For bullshit trump says, American steel made great again, remember that, foreign steel imports up 24% this year.

If only BSF were still around to tell us how Trump is going to take on Wall Street.

well at least the details of tax reform may finally get released now

Will the Pubs try to jam it through the Senate before a CBO score? Find out at 10.

Interesting panel on 1A today with conservatives trying to explain the current state of the party.

Everyone knows you have to pass the bill first so you can find out what's in it.

Probably the clearest example of GOP intentionally misquoting or not quoting with context to push a false narrative.

LOL... was "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it" misquoted or not quoted with enough context?

Interesting panel on 1A today with conservatives trying to explain the current state of the party.

Were they saying that Pubs have pretty much won the idea war and they remain largely unified with the major challenge was to get the old relic establishment Pubs on board with the new style of politics?

I heard a brief bit of that but not sure what was the program.

I was waiting to hear just what new style of politics really involves. Lying non-stop and nakedly serving the wealthy? Somehow I doubt they’d own that.

Were they saying that Pubs have pretty much won the idea war and they remain largely unified with the major challenge was to get the old relic establishment Pubs on board with the new style of politics?

I heard a brief bit of that but not sure what was the program.

I was waiting to hear just what new style of politics really involves. Lying non-stop and nakedly serving the wealthy? Somehow I doubt they’d own that.

Something like that.

There was a lot of "Trump is popular when he sticks it to the elites and sticks up for the little guy" but the host never challenged them to show how his policy does that. They also didn't mention how the establish is pretty much in lock step with Trump with a few exceptions.

The funniest one of how these characterized Republicans who stuck with the party as "principled" but those who broke with the party as "opportunists."

As much as I hate to see it happen, I think the likely remedy to the madness that has become the Republican Party is for them to run the show for a while and let the rotten fruits of their horrendous policies and politics be displayed on a grand scale.

The Happy Hooker Conservatives

————
...In 1927 the French philosopher Julien Benda wrote “The Treason of the Intellectuals” (La Trahison des Clercs), a short book that pointed a damning finger at the ultra-nationalist thinkers of his time.

Benda excoriated them for “the intellectual organization of political hatreds.” He condemned them for worshiping a “cult of success,” which “says that when a will is successful that fact alone gives it a moral value, whereas the will which fails is for that reason alone deserving of contempt.”

He warned, prophetically, that this “great betrayal” of their philosophical vocation, along with their “desire to abase the values of knowledge before the values of action” had put mankind on the road to “the greatest and most perfect war ever seen in the world.”

Benda is often celebrated by conservative writers for his understanding of how prone intellectuals can be to fatal political misjudgments. Think of Michel Foucault’s embrace of Ayatollah Khomeini, Noam Chomsky’s excuses for the Khmer Rouge, or Naomi Klein’s effusions for Venezuela’s Hugo Chávez. The list of intellectuals making fools of themselves is long.

So where are Benda’s conservative disciples today, the ones I remember from panel discussions on the importance of moral character, the dangers of relativism, or the post-modern assault on the concept of truth?

It’s instructive to read the high-minded defenses of Trump offered by writers in Breitbart, The Washington Times, The Federalist, and the rest of the pro-Trump press.

Their chief argument for Trump is that he won and is therefore a winner. Their argument against Never Trumpers is that we failed and are therefore losers. What about Trump’s character? It doesn’t matter so long as the Supreme Court remains conservative. Legislative failures are always and only the fault of “establishment Republicans.” Boorish habits are merely a matter of taste and something of a virtue in the era of snowflakes. As for the criticisms from Flake, Bush, Corker and McCain, who needs moral instruction from those sore losers and political has-beens?...
————

That's the candy she got by going around asking for handouts, right?

Back