• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Because it's a house of cards and completely unsustainable in the long run.

If the GOP wants to triple down on the Steve Bannon strategy of appealing to the base...by all means go for it. It's a losing strategy that appeals to 30-35% of the country at best. You can win some seats in the senate and house in the short run but good luck appealing to voters on a national level. Especially as the demographics get consistently worse for the GOP base from here on out.
The demographics argument from Dems is just soo bad and desperate. The changing demographics in the US are nearly all latino increases, and they are happening in California and other border states, in mostly urban centers. So this shift you all are so certain of is Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona becoming purple in the next 10-20 years. The rural south, rural midwest, and rustbelt will be white for the rest of our life time.

As for this conservative strategy only appealing to 35% of the country, that is a winning strategy as long as that base is loyal and controls the majority of legislative districts in the country. Who gives a fuck about appealing to a majority of people if all those people live in the same 3 states?

The demographics argument from Dems is just soo bad and desperate. The changing demographics in the US are nearly all latino increases, and they are happening in California and other border states, in mostly urban centers. So this shift you all are so certain of is Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona becoming purple in the next 10-20 years. The rural south, rural midwest, and rustbelt will be white for the rest of our life time.

That's true to some extent, but states like Florida, North Carolina, and even Georgia are also seeing steady increases in the non-white population. North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and even Texas are also steadily urbanizing and becoming less and less rural. Virginia is a great example of a state that was solid red (at least in presidential elections) twenty years ago and is now clearly trending blue, thanks to urbanization and a growing non-white population. I tend to agree with those who argue that long-term demographics simply don't favor the GOP. The problem, of course, is that we're talking long-term - it may be another 20 or 25 years before you reach a real tipping point in some of these states. Meantime, the GOP can do lots of damage in state legislatures and Congress.

That's true to some extent, but states like Florida, North Carolina, and even Georgia are also seeing steady increases in the non-white population. North Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, and even Texas are also steadily urbanizing and becoming less and less rural. Virginia is a great example of a state that was solid red (at least in presidential elections) twenty years ago and is now clearly trending blue, thanks to urbanization and a growing non-white population. I tend to agree with those who argue that long-term demographics simply don't favor the GOP. The problem, of course, is that we're talking long-term - it may be another 20 or 25 years before you reach a real tipping point in some of these states. Meantime, the GOP can do lots of damage in state legislatures and Congress.

And can stack the deck in favor of the white conservative minority.

And can stack the deck in favor of the white conservative minority.

Agreed. I think that accounts for a lot of the frenetic activity by the NC GOP since they gained control of the state legislature in 2010 - voter ID laws, cutting early voting to an extreme level, extreme gerrymandering, etc. They're smart enough to see what's happening to the rural/urban split in NC (urban gaining), and the growing non-white population, so they're trying to rig the system to stay in power long after they would normally be voted out. The demographic trends of the state, though - the steady decline in the rural population and the steady increase of urban population - is clear.

Except that you're overlooking a critical demographic trend that no GOP precinct, county, district or state can escape from...age. In addition to older Republicans dying off, young Republicans are fleeing the party at an alarming rate... likely due to the complete intellectual and moral bankruptcy of the party. I am an anecdotal example of a young republican who's recently defected but I am far from the only one. I voted for Hillary in 2016 and will continue to vote for democrats and independents until the GOP can prove it can return to sanity.

Time to panic? Young Republicans ditching GOP like never before

"It's been reported often and for many years that Republicans are losing younger people, but what is most shocking about the Pew study is the narrow window in which this wave of defections occurred. In the relatively short time frame of December 2015 to March 2017, nearly half of all young Republicans left their party at some point, with roughly a quarter bidding the GOP adieu for good.

No other group, by age or party, wavered so much or defected in such substantial numbers."

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/t...itching-gop-like-never-before/article/2624000

Last edited:
Plus VA is the perfect example of a solid red state becoming purple in the last couple decades. There's a precedent.

Greensboro has an all democratic city council. When the R can't even win in NW affluent Greensboro, then the Rs in NC are truly becoming a rural/suburban party.

As for this conservative strategy only appealing to 35% of the country, that is a winning strategy as long as that base is loyal and controls the majority of legislative districts in the country. Who gives a fuck about appealing to a majority of people if all those people live in the same 3 states?

Last time I checked, we're all Americans and our leaders should have everyone's best interest in mind and not just the 35% of the country that promises to blindly vote for one party or the other.

But if you want to embrace a Steve Bannon-esque strategy on the left, by all means go for it. Just be prepared to lose the Independent voters and moderate R's that the Democratic Party has just gained as a result of your party acting like the adult in the room.

Last edited:
[/B]

Last time I checked, we're all Americans and our leaders should have everyone's best interest in mind and not just the 35% of the country that promises to blindly vote for one party or the other.

But if you want to embrace a Steve Bannon-esque strategy on the left, by all means go for it. Just be prepared to lose the Independent voters and moderate R's that the Democratic Party has just gained as a result of your party acting like the adult in the room.
What are you talking about? Your Democratic third way strategy is very unpopular with independent voters, and moderate Republicans vote Republican - consistently. Check the 25 million you all blew on Jon Ossoff.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? Your Democratic third way strategy is very unpopular with independent voters, and moderate Republicans vote Republican - consistently. Check the 25 million you all blew on Jon Ossoff.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Democratic 3rd way strategy?

All I'm saying is that 1) the calculus for the Republican Party does not look good long term and 2) the strategy of appealing to a party's base is not sustainable.

Also Jon Osoff was an awful candidate. Trying to compete in southern congressional districts is smart. Trying to compete in a southern congresssional district with a kid who's a lifetime Hill staffer is dumb. The democratic party's strategy wasn't incorrect but their tactic (i.e. candidate choice) was way off.

Last edited:
Nothing about the Ohio rep having gay sex in his office?

Damn.

"An Ohio Republican state legislator who consistently touts his faith and his anti-LGBT stances resigned this week after being caught having sex with a man in his office.

Representative Wes Goodman, who is married, was reportedly seen by someone who is not a staffer having sex with a man inside his Riffe Center office. The witness told Ohio House Chief of Staff Mike Dittoe of the situation early Tuesday afternoon, according to the Columbus Dispatch."

"Goodman’s twitter bio describes him as: “Christian. American. Conservative. Republican. Husband to @Beth1027.” His tweets are protected and his account is private. His Facebook page has been taken offline."

http://www.newsweek.com/republican-family-values-state-legislator-quits-sex-man-713821

An Ohio Republican state legislator who consistently touts his faith and his anti-LGBT stances resigned this week after being caught having sex with a man in his office.
Representative Wes Goodman, who is married, was reportedly seen by someone who is not a staffer having sex with a man inside his Riffe Center office.
Middle name Lookingfora? /bart

I'm to the point that I automatically assume that every republican who is anti-LGBQ is actually a self-loathing closeted homosexual. I don't think I'm too far off base here.

All I'm saying is that 1) the calculus for the Republican Party does not look good long term and 2) the strategy of appealing to a party's base is not sustainable.

Also Jon Osoff was an awful candidate. Trying to compete in southern congressional districts is smart. Trying to compete in a southern congresssional district with a kid who's a lifetime Hill staffer is dumb. The democratic party's strategy wasn't incorrect but their tactic (i.e. candidate choice) was way off.
Your definition of "long term" is subjective. Political cycles don't last forever, but rural white christian conservatives will control the legislative majority of America for the foreseeable future, just based on land mass and gerrymandering alone.

The average age of rural America is 51, so this expectation that they will just die off any day now is untrue, and much of the southern and midwestern rural defection is going towards suburbs and exurbs.

The point of my argument is that the establishment Democrat mindset of "everything we're doing is right, we just have to wait for rural whites to die" is really disengenious or stupid.

Also, it's illogical to differentiate high profile candidates and party strategy - the hand picked candidates are the result and representation of strategy. The color of a tie and length of a hairstyle is strategized and focus grouped.

Last edited:
FCC begins scaling back internet subsidies for low-income homes

Those are the immediate changes, but what’s coming next could be even more damaging for low-income consumers. The commission also approved a proposal to consider limiting Lifeline subsidies to providers that own and operate their own networks — meaning that MVNOs wouldn’t be able to offer the discount. Clyburn says this rule could mean that “over 70 percent of wireless Lifeline consumers will be told they cannot use their preferred carrier and preferred plan.”

Republican FCC commissioners view the proposal as a way to target money to companies that are actually capable of building out networks, and therefore reaching new areas and serving new consumers. This logic doesn’t really add up: MVNOs pay network owners for the service they use; there’s still no reason for Comcast and the like to spend millions building out to a rural area to serve a small number of consumers; and this does nothing to help people actually afford internet service, which is the real goal of Lifeline. But I guess if the goal is to give those companies more money and cross your fingers hoping they do something good with it, then this accomplishes everything the commission could dream of.

While that’s only a proposal for most of the US, the commission actually went ahead and voted that rule in for Tribal lands already.

It's right under your nose.

Back