• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread: Seditious Republicans march toward authoritarianism

Damn.

"An Ohio Republican state legislator who consistently touts his faith and his anti-LGBT stances resigned this week after being caught having sex with a man in his office.

Representative Wes Goodman, who is married, was reportedly seen by someone who is not a staffer having sex with a man inside his Riffe Center office. The witness told Ohio House Chief of Staff Mike Dittoe of the situation early Tuesday afternoon, according to the Columbus Dispatch."

"Goodman’s twitter bio describes him as: “Christian. American. Conservative. Republican. Husband to @Beth1027.” His tweets are protected and his account is private. His Facebook page has been taken offline."

http://www.newsweek.com/republican-family-values-state-legislator-quits-sex-man-713821

I know it's not a great look, but I get so much pleasure out of these hypocrites going down (rimshot (rimshot)).

Historic turnout of young voters in Virginia election poses problem for Republicans

Trump is extremely unpopular in Virginia, with a 34 percent approval rating in a recent Washington Post-Schar School poll. And his rhetoric appeared to influence Gillespie to shift his campaign toward issues of illegal immigration, Latino street gangs and support for Confederate statues.

That was a losing formula for wooing young voters, Ramadan said. Millennials care about reducing student debt, finding a comfortable job and being able to have an easy commute to work, he said.

“Unless Republicans get back to mainstream issues instead of sanctuary cities and Confederate statues, we’re going to lose elections,” he said.

Republican pollster Gene Ulm said he was most concerned about “young suburbanites” in the Virginia results. “We basically had 300,000 people show up who don’t normally vote in a gubernatorial election,” he said. “We won 85,000 of them and lost the other 215,000.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...larity_challenger_1_na&utm_term=.c96b9da32266

I don't remember when conservatives were empiricists.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned over the past year, but all Trump (and his copycats, like Roy Moore) have done is to take the dog whistles and "codes" GOP politicians have been using since Richard Nixon and the "Southern strategy" in 1968 and take them to the ultimate, extreme level. Trump doesn't use code words and dog whistles (like Reagan's "welfare queens", or the notorious Willie Horton ad in 1988) - he just bluntly attacks blacks, Hispanics, immigrants, foreigners, college professors, the "librul news media" - all the usual suspects for right-wingers. It's like red meat for a dog - they just eat it up. And now others like Moore are simply copying Trump's tactics. Ed Gillespie tried to do the same in Virginia, but Virginia is a purple state leaning blue, and he's not full-bore like Trump or Moore, and so it didn't work.

"The administration officials said the President would name a permanent head of the agency "in the upcoming weeks," but they would not preview who that pick would be, saying that Trump has not yet made a decision."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/25/politics/white-house-cfpb-mulvaney/index.html

Trump is magnificent at not making decisions by next week...constantly. Or giving two fucks about how the government is supposed to function, but what the hell winning!

The White House memo on the CFPB was written by a lawyer who represented a payday lender:

The lawyer who wrote the Office of Legal Counsel memo supporting the Trump administration’s viewpoint that the president can appoint Mick Mulvaney as acting director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau represented a payday lender in front of the CFPB last year.

But in July 2015, Engel was one of two lead counsels for NDG Financial Corp., a Canadian payday lender that CFPB cited for running a nine-year scheme to use its foreign status to offer U.S. customers high-cost loans that were at odds with state and federal law. “We are taking action against the NDG Enterprise for collecting money it had no right to take from consumers,” said CFPB Director Richard Cordray at the time. Engel was active in the case up until August of this year.

https://theintercept.com/2017/11/27/white-house-memo-justifying-cfpb-takeover-was-written-by-payday-lender-attorney/?utm_content=buffer6ff93&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=publici-buffer

Moore buried under TV ad barrage
The Alabama airwaves are flooded with ads — and the embattled Republican can’t keep pace.

Doug Jones and Roy Moore both released new television ads on Monday. But many Alabama voters will see only one of them.

That’s because of the massive disparity in TV ad spending between the two candidates in the Alabama special election to a Senate seat, where Jones, the Democratic candidate, is outspending Moore roughly 7-to-1.

Story Continued Below

The imbalance is stunning, with just two weeks to go in the campaign: Jones has aired more than 10,000 spots on broadcast TV in Alabama since the primaries, while Moore, the embattled GOP candidate, has run just over 1,000, according to figures compiled by Advertising Analytics.

“I saw probably 40 to 50 Doug Jones ads, and I saw one Roy Moore ad” over the Thanksgiving break, said Daniel Deriso, an aide to Democratic Birmingham Mayor-elect Randall Woodfin.

Fueled by millions of online dollars pouring in to defeat Moore, Jones’ campaign has flooded the airwaves with over $5.6 million of TV ads overall during in the general election campaign. Moore has answered with about $800,000 in ad spending, according to Advertising Analytics.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/27/roy-moore-jones-alabama-senate-261024

All those ads may backfire. Alabamans may just Nancy Pelosi and outside money funding Librul Doug's campaign.

Ongoing US GOP Debacle Thread

They need to be spending money on social media targeting potential Dem voters. If the Russians can do it, why can't Democrats?

They need to be spending money on social media targeting potential Dem voters. If the Russians can do it, why can't Democrats?

Lots Facebook posts in the last few days on my feed about organizing poll drivers and poll watchers in the surrounding mostly black counties from me. The local Dems are focused on trying to get out the black the vote in towns like Tuskeegee and Selma. The adds are targeted a suppressing or switching suburban white women votes that came out in favor of Trump in 2016. I think the Dems are hoping that a lot Pubs will be disgusted with their parties nominee and simply not vote.

I really like the campaign Jones is running. He's not constantly and crazily accusing Roy Moore of what he did. He's not playing identity politics. He's not doing any of the things Republicans claimed they hated, and he is still probably going to lose by 5 points or more because all Pubs listen to are things like our president tweeting that he's a "puppet for Pelosi."

Last edited:
Back